[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear reader, we would like to take this opportunity to inform
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: 1460294812531.png (3 MB, 1588x1857) Image search: [Google]
1460294812531.png
3 MB, 1588x1857
Dear reader, we would like to take this opportunity to inform you on a regrettable subculture which has been forming on our beloved /mu/.

>WHAT IS THEIR NAME?

Poseurs.

>WHAT IS THEIR DEAL?

Poseurs are people who go out of their way to cultivate an image of being interesting, by and large through doing their best to cultivate a "sophisticated" music taste.
HOWEVER, as these people have no self-sufficiency of their own, or any knowledge or familiarity with music beyond the pop sphere presented on sites such as Pitchfork, the best they can do to cultivate that image is to go on RateYourMusic and sheepishly drone the top-rated albums of whatever niche genre they think will bring them the most "patrician" or "underground" or "sophisticated" credibility.

IF you were to question them on the merit an album they claim to be a favorite, they would not be able to provide any substantial opinion or judgment regarding it(only empty buzzwords which they regurgitate without ever giving any thought to what they mean or how they relate to that artist) as in reality they have none of the knowledge which would help them to properly evaluate it.
The vast majority of them don't know music theory or have any sort of education(whether through personal exploration or professional education) on music/art history and have no familiarity with the origins, backgrounds and histories of their "favorite" genres, albums and artists. Their education begins and ends with RYM pages and lists and /mu/ chart thread images.

More effort goes into building up the perfect "patrician" RYM profile and curve using the perfect combination of albums and ratings than into actually trying to understand and genuinely appreciate what they are hearing.

This utter dilettantism and ignorance, however, does not prevent them from nurturing severe superiority complexes which serve as fuel for regular mockery, ridicule and debasement of the rest of this fine board's residents.
>>
>WHY SHOULD I CARE?

Because poseurs make this board a more toxic and uninviting place.
Because they fuel tension and antagonism.
Because their use of music as an ego-building tool sets a bad example.
Because, ultimately, their mentalities regarding music, art and their fellow man are just no good.

>BUT WHAT DO POSEURS ACTUALLY (CLAIM TO) LISTEN TO?

Presented in the OP is a brief introduction to the wild world of poseurcore. It is not an attempt at making a statement regarding the quality of the music produced by those artists. It is not the only music which poseurs listen to. It's just a quick rundown. If you wish, you can also take note of this somewhat more expansive text list of poseurcore favorites.

Merzbow, Boredoms, Gerogerigegege, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Nurse with Wound, Einstürzende Neubauten, Brainbombs, Death in June, Current 93, La Monte Young, Moondog, Lou Harrison, Henry Cowell, Luigi Russolo, Popol Vuh, Fishmans, Jean Jacques Perrey, Les Rallizes Dénudés, Rainbow Caroliner, Taj Mahal Travellers, Zero Kama, Fushitsusha, Peter Brötzmann, John Cage, Scott Walker, Unwound, Dead, Frank Zappa, Morton Feldman, Captain Beefheart, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Arnold Schoenberg, Pierre Boulez, György Ligeti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282. Raymond Scott, Delia Derbyshire, Daphne Oram, Terry Riley, Peter Sotos, Boyd Rice, Henry Flynt, Kazumoto Endo, David Tudor, Half Japanese,Secret Chiefs 3, Keiji Haino, Ramleh, Otomo Yoshihide, John Zorn, Joe Meek, Faxed Head, Harry Partch, Wesley Willis, Fred Frith, The Residents, Sun Ra, Sun City Girls, Hans Krusi, Royal Trux, Jandek, Loren Mazzacane Connors, The Dead C, Comus, Cromagnon, Eliane Radigue, The Red Krayola, Opus Avantra, Pan.Thy.Monium., Murmuüre, Gong, cLOUDDEAD and Muslimgauze
>>
>WHAT ABOUT GENRES?

Genres popular among poseurs include, among others: jazz and its variants, industrial music, noise and its variants, "world music" and its variants, non-dance-oriented electronic music and its variants, "smart pop" music, "experimental" music in general.

>CAN YOU SHOW ME A LIVING, SPECIFIC EXAMPLE OF A POSEUR?

Sure. Straight from RYM, here it is: https://rateyourmusic.com/~thedb

>IS THERE A SPECIFIC PLACE ON /MU/ WHERE POSEURS CONGREGATE?

Yes. The hottest beds of poseur activity on /mu/ are the /RYM/, /daily/ and Top 100 album chart general threads.
Take note of the mentalities with which music is approached in these threads and you are bound to find even more repulsive details than have been exposed in this thread.

Lesser quantities of poseurs can also be found in threads such as /noise/, the Last.fm threads and the 3x3 Last.fm collage threads. These are a more benign and inconsequential variety of poseur, but they are poseurs nonetheless.

>Wow, this is some pretty heavy shit to take in. WHAT SHOULD I DO? HOW CAN I HELP PUT A STOP TO THIS?

That, friend, is entirely up to you.

This has been an informative thread regarding the subject of POSEURCORE. Thank you for your attention,

- The /mu/ Anti-Poseur Initiative
>>
File: 1466569253768.jpg (1 MB, 3184x1848) Image search: [Google]
1466569253768.jpg
1 MB, 3184x1848
>>
epic
>>
>>66305706
it's amazing looking back on abelian posts in retrospect, knowing he lied about literally everything
>>
Oh man, I'd forgotten about this.
>>
>>66305443
>a regrettable subculture which has been forming on our beloved /mu/.
I'm not sure how long you've been posting here but the people you're describing are called avant-teens, they've existed for a pretty long ass time and they aren't unique to /mu/.
>>
Is Abelian still doing his thing? He scrubbed his entire online presence in response to the ridicule he got.
>>
>>66305443
what are cLOUDEAD, Unwound, and Fishmans doing there?
assumed pretty much everyone on this site enjoyed them
>>
>>66305857
You assumed wrong.
Unwound and especially Fishmans are LRD-tier poseurcore.
>>
>>66305907
really? unwound is just post-hardcore. not poseur at all.

fishmans is basically pop desu
>>
let people enjoy what they enjoy, no one cares
>>
>>66305857
A lot of the artists on there are pretty widely acclaimed by all sorts of people.
As op said:
> It is not an attempt at making a statement regarding the quality of the music produced by those artists. It is not the only music which poseurs listen to.
It's just a list of things that some of these people tend to enjoy. Something analogous would be the people who used to slag the enclave of fedoras who knew like 3 major jazz artists and felt that made them aficionados. People would insult people who said stuff like:
>I'm a jazz man myself. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, the list goes on.
But the insults were aimed at the person rather than the musicians.
>>
>someone is actually putting effort into this shit
l m a o
>>
the daily people at it again
>>66301371
>>
>>66305487
>>66305456
>>66305443
Useful thread.
>>
If I like an album that's up there does that make me a poseur?
>>
>>66305907
LRD is basically Japanese Velvet Underground, what the fuck are you on about
also go to bed Montie you Britpop loving shitster
>>
>>66305907
Wtf is LRD-tier ?
>>
>>66306043
yes, you meme.
>>
>>66306051
Les Rallizes Denudes
Op doesn't like the music in the chart and doesn't like that other people like it
he's the true poseur
>>
>>66305443
This chart is getting old. Most of these are incredibly accessible and outdated in terms of avant-teen taste.
>>
>>66305443
put your trip back on Montie you fuck
>>
>>66306050
>>66306161
>Montie

As convenient of a scapegoat as Montie makes for the poseurs to place responsibility on and automatically disregard, it is a fact that poseurcore always has been and always will be an Anon-led initiative.
Anyone who remembers the threads which birthed poseurcore knows this.
>>
>>66306308
just curious, anonymous legion, what credibility do you have
what are your favorite albums and why do you like them
>>
>>66306359
This is not relevant information.
I am purely a conduit for the poseurcore movement, my personality is of no significance here.
>>
when i see these threads sometimes i think they're ironic but i know that a lot of people on this board take the poseur meme seriously. i agree that some people really do give meaning to the word poseur like those in daily, who literally regurgitate the same bog standard token japanoise classical avant shit but there are a lot of people who go out of their way to find new music and that isn't something that they should be slated for

when i look at that poseurcore chart it does baffle me that people think bands like death in june unwound fishmans etc are really so out there that they can't comprehend that people actually enjoy them for what they are. it's disappointing to see people on a supposed music board who are consciously cutting out listening to anything remotely experimental or different from critically acclaimed stuff. unsurprisingly it's people like montie who have the most absolute bland taste who take this shit seriously, so it's not surprising
>>
So are either /mu/core drone, avant-teen or poseur?
>>
>>66306402
>are really so out there that they can't comprehend that people actually enjoy them for what they are

You don't seem to understand the bent of our movement. It has nothing to do with personal taste of the people behind poseurcore. Personal preference is left at the door.
The artists listed as poseurcore are simply aggregated information based on behavioral patterns and groupthink of the poseurs. These artists being poseurcore does not mean that we have any personal distaste towards them, quite the opposite actually, we may very well be fond of some of these artists ourselves.
We merely have a distaste towards what certain people are using these artists for, and for what these artists have come to symbolize in certain circles.
>>
*uses this chart for recs*
>>
>>66306398
yes it fucking is, stop trying to act as if this is a 'movement' you autistic faggot, literally nobody is with you on this
there is literally no respectable reason as to why a person should like the music that they like other than they like the way it sounds, being able to musically explain why an album is objectively good is like trying to build a castle in the sky... in the end because of the nature of subjectivity and forms, it boils down to "I like it". So this concept is retarded.
you heard these albums, you didn't like them, you made a chart, you posted them (3 months ago might I add), everyone chewed you out then, I'm chewing you out now...
>>
>>66306552
You have a very loose and incomplete perspective on the poseurcore movement and its history, as well as its motivations.
We have made ourselves as clear as we possibly can, further explaining ourselves would be a waste of time. Have a nice day.
>>
>>66306637
respond to the post meaningfully you fucking poser (that's right the correct spelling you mongoloid)
>>
>>66306637
I honestly hope for you you don't take this as serious as you make it look
>>
>>66305443
haha
oh wow
lol...
>>
>>66306658
Even if I wanted to, I could not provide any additional information on the workings of the poseurcore movement without inadvertently causing the movement's integrity and our methods for its proliferation damage.
To put it bluntly, it is none of your business. I will not reply to you anymore.
>>
>>66306101
yep, beginner core
>>
>>66306668
Oh, you have no idea.
>>
>>66306720
why not, are you Australian or something
go on, impress me with your superior patrician taste
>>
>>66306720
why are you so autistic
>>
>>66306359
>>66306552
>>66306773
you actually sound like this guy's gimmick really struck a nerve in you lmao

go back to /daily/, faggot
>>
>>66306507
me 2

I also have been looking for Asshole / Snail Dilemma by Runzelstirn & Gurgelstock for months years after hearing of it. Google searches didn't work.
>>
File: boser.jpg (37 KB, 500x425) Image search: [Google]
boser.jpg
37 KB, 500x425
>>66306826
ay mang, just trying to light a fire under this dudes ass to try and get him to stop being a self-righteous, self-aggrandizing boser
>>
>>66305443
Thanks for the chart, lots of good stuff here.
>>
>>66305443
holy crap you're a faggot. who gives a shit about any of this
>>
>>66306924
uh huh
>>
You realize most of the albums on your chart are entry albums to generally niche genres

If people like those albums it means they are new to that genre, thus making it understandable that they don't know much about it, or the thing they're hearing. It's ok to like something just because you like how it sounds.
>>
>>66306949
I mean really, all this boils down to is
>these albums are popular in certain circles
>I don't like these albums/I don't like that these albums are popular
>lets go and whinge about it on a Malaysian finger painting image board
>>
>>66305443
there's easier ways to get a rise out of faggot avant-teens, dude
just gorespam their threads or some shit, this is way too much effort
>>
>>66305443
including black artists on this "chart" takes away from their cultural achievements. I assume you are white, so this is just yet another white person unknowingly talking away from a black man's worth. "poser-core" is perhaps very racist in itself, as it limits one's listening to white, safe artists such as oasis, coldplay, the list goes on.
>>
>>66306552
W E W L A D
>>
>>66307246
hang on, I agree but also object, what about the cultural achievement of people from other ethnicities, is their cultural capital not worth shit?
>>
File: 1467857382972.jpg (117 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1467857382972.jpg
117 KB, 1440x1080
>mfw I just listen to music I enjoy
>>
>>66307293
the term "poser-core" also diminishes other races such as Japanese. this happens often because white people are not comfortable with foreign people's music, whether its because of the language or a different concept that they're not used to. Still, suppressing their music in this way, by shaming all who listen to it, is a form of racism and a huge problem.
>>
>>66307408
totally agree
>>
>>66305443
>ltiy
>clouddead
>coil
>white light white heat
y tho
>tmr
its not my cup of tea but it really isnt even that inaccessible at some parts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsiDDtX6cdU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZFG1yAxjdQ
it's really not even poseur core, a lot of people here genuinely enjoy it
also is it just you posting these constantly? i see them all the time but have never replied to one before
>>
>psychoanalysing percieved enemies to create a narrative to rally against
>obscurantism
>subtle racism
>wholly ineffectual
Where did I see this before?
>>
>>66306359
pet sounds
>>
>>66308738
set pounds
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.