[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be musician on label >they're making me tour my album
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (149 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149 KB, 1152x864
>be musician on label
>they're making me tour my album
>terrified of playing live, will literally shit my pants because of IBS / faint / anxiety attack

what do I do? My first show is in a few days. I only got on the label because I sent them music I made in my basement (I played all the instruments)
>>
>>66286826
Nice subtle shill. Show us the music
>>
>>66286857
No. You're only going to further judge me
>>
>>66286865
Hey Will, i think Twin Fantasy is amazing.
>>
Get a big hat to cover your eyes and make it part of your image
>>
>>66286826
At least you're on a label, I've been sending shit to labels for a month now and heard nothing, doesn't help that I have zero web presence.
>>
>>66286826
Benzos
>>
>>66286826
Get me to fill in, I'll do better than you anyway.
>>
>Look I have a music label!
Fuck off and post your shit
>>
>>66286970
I said it before: No.
>>
Wear a mask?
>>
Can you get me on your label? I can be your band mate senpai
>>
Quit right now. Doesn't sound like being a professional musician is for you.
>>
Play with your back to the crowd. Make it your gimmick
>>
Get drunk
>>
>>66287002
This. Make it your gimmick. It makes you recognizable and easy to spread word with.
>>
>>66286826
I hear that some musicians just act completely different on stage, like an alter ego, and apparently that helps with stage fright

or get drunk

or this>>66286943

Now post your music
>>
>>66286826
i think you should be no scared of fail, shit happens, at least you are playing live, you are going to have critics, if you are an artist you have to live with that.
>>
>>66286826
most people feel exactly like you did, just go for it, you'll come out a stronger person for it. or you'll poop out and humiliate yourself in front of a bunch of losers (who even goes to live shows anymore lol)
either way, it won't be that bad
>>
Andy Partridge & XTC stopped touring for the same reason, you can too. Don't expect to make any money though.
>>
>>66286865
No shit. If you can't take judgment or getting your feelings hurt, than you probably shouldn't be releasing music to the world
>>
>>66287002
That's stupid and it's been done many times before.
>>
>>66286826

practice a lot. do the set to empty rooms
>>
don't show up. Make it your gimmick
>>
>>66287254
>who even goes to live shows anymore lol
typical basement dweller
>>
>>66286826
What label did you sign to?

If they signed you they'll probably sign anyone.
>>
File: b8.gif (92 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
b8.gif
92 KB, 600x600
>>
Hey uh
While we're on the topic
What are some decent small labels to send stuff to
>>
>>66286826
>get signed to a label with no live experience EVER

nice bs there kiddo
>>
>>66287740

it depends on your music genre and what you're lookin for
>>
>>66287740
Sony
>>
>>66288027
I mean come on, what kind of fucking label does this?
>>
>>66287705
Fucking this
OP give us info you fucking hack
>>
>>66286826
well wtf did you expect retard? that's what labels are for and that's what they do. no ones going to give two shits about your music if you don't tour and establish an image for yourself.
>>
>>66286826
get high or take few beers, play your songs and fuck someone afterwards. its all gonna work out just relax homie
>>
>>66288126

it's more like no label would sign you without an already established image of yourself desu.
>>
Ask your doctor about propranolol. It's a beta blocker that people often take for performance anxiety; I've heard of people taking it for speeches, performing music, even doing fucking surgery.

Either that or benzos, but those might affect how well you're functioning. You need to find the right dosage.

Definitely do whatever you can to follow through with these shows. Most musicians don't get these opportunities, and you will regret it forever if you pussy out.
>>
>>66286826
Just do what everyone else does and get drunk. Its called liquid courage for a reason.
>>
>>66288310
>it's more like no label would sign you without an already established image of yourself desu.

Yes this, this anon gets it.
>>
This faggot-ass OP isn't on a label, probably doesn't even make music

You all fell for the meme
>>
>>66288545
We know, but there are "labels" that sign hacks with no experience, and they're not real labels, they're shitty bandcamp labels.
>>
>>66288047
A billion times this. Do extensive research or everyone will hate you. Never send anyone a WIP in your life.
>>
>>66288942
>Never send anyone a WIP in your life.
Everything is a WIP until you get signed.
>>
>>66288589
sometimes they still release great stuff though
>>
>>66289530
>sometimes they still release great stuff though
But they're not worth anyone's time.

Why would an artist sign to a fake label and not a real one?

A real label will make you tour, will put out records, promote you, and possibly give you an advance in money to put out a decent album.
>>
>>66286826
Ask for help on Tumblr.
>>
Give us a genre first
>>
>>66286919
learn the music business you bot

it's honestly not hard it would literally take you one day to learn how to brand yourself and get a fanbase.
>>
>>66288060
Depends on how good the music is

See: Jai Paul
>>
>>66289624
This x100000
>>
>>66288589
if they make you tour and get you thousands of views it's pretty good
>>
>mfw was signed to sub pop a few years ago
>mfw currently jobless and alcoholic
>>
>>66289709
Yes it is.
>>
>>66289624
This is actually what I have trouble with most.

I can record, I can play live, I can brand myself, but I don't know how to promote or whose back to scratch.
>>
>mfw guitarist who can't sing
>mfw going to die poor and unknown after years of shitty jobs
>mfw forever alone whilst hacks like john mayer have hoards of beautiful idiots chasing him
>mfw i have no face
>>
>>66289803
i could help you if you got skype or whatever and i like your music
>>
P R O P R A N O L O L
R
O
P
R
A
N
O
L
O
L

Saves lives
>>
>>66288126
>no ones going to give two shits about your music if you don't tour and establish an image for yourself
You don't have a very big grasp on what music can be, do you
>>
>>66289825
Nah, I'm actually thinking of gigging and sending my stuff to certain people till I can get a manager.
>>
>>66288060
Pretty sure Car Seat Headrest was only just putting together a live band by the time he got signed.
>>
>>66289875
I believe it's entertainment more then art to most people
>>
>>66289887
It doesn't count if you have buzz already. They will jump on buzz even if you're not proven as a live act.
>>
>>66286919
this is the 21st century man
if you want any kind of recognition get on the fucking internet or shut up
>>
>>66289881
alright well good luck, you should invest in a soundcloud manager (bot) if all goes wrong or buy small distribution services, some are on fiverr etc
>>
>>66286826
Make a backing track of all but one instrument (and voice if you sing), and play to your own backing track onstage. And stop worrying about what other people will think. Get lost in the music you're playing... and also don't worry about how bad/good you sound. It doesn't matter at all, all that matters is having fun
>>
OP SHOW US THE MUSIC
>>
>>66289813
>>mfw guitarist who can't sing
>>mfw going to die poor and unknown after years of shitty jobs
>>mfw i have no face
you have no right to talk like that about john mayer, you loser, you will never compare to his shit even
>>
>>66290239

as one of the many guitarists who are much better than him, i have every right.

the fact that you're easily impressed by the success of a good-looking guy hacking his way through jimi hendrix tunes is enough of an embarrassment, so i wont take it any further.
>>
>>66290629
Being a good guitarist alone doesn't get you a record deal, you have to have something to offer as a solo artist.

Become a session musician or something.
>>
>>66290629
But john mayer plays really well. He just makes shit songs
>>
>>66286826

Just poop before you play bro if you freak out that's just your shtick
>>
>>66286877
Definitely will
>>
>>66289761
is /mu/ where former sub pop musicians go to cry
>pick yourself back up
>you can do it
>>
>>66286826
Play your music facing backwards
>>
>>66286997
Stop being a prick. Why would you bother getting on a label if you're scared to share your music.

Do you realize how many musicians are dying to be noticed, and you're literally refusing to let people hear your music. We might like it, asshole.
>>
>>66288060

Not op, but i just got signed to a relatively well known label (especially in ny) from just a demo submission and no live experience or internet presence. If you make good shit, you make good shit.
>>
start dancing to your groove while you're on deck and just loose yourself into the show, don't feel the crowd feel the groove. The one time I played live I was nervous until two problems happened that night that COULD have made our lives difficult so my nervousness turned into frustration over thing, but thing didn't happen so I just went into the groove
>>
>>66289918
this is the 21st century man
this is the 21st century SCHIDZOID MAAAAN
BAAAAAM BARABAMBAMBAAAM
BAAAAM BAAAAM BAM
>>
>>66294463
But then he'd be a shill, which is several degrees more reprehensible. Duh
>>
>>66295160
yea people who say stuff like >>66289918 seem to be right, it's not a unfathomable to think stuff like that, but it just isn't true. make good unique music, and show your music to the right people if you want it to get farther than your couple thousands of sc/bc followers, and if a label or a promoter helps you get there, you'll seemingly come out of nowhere, with good music, and you'll be interesting because of the shroud of mystery at the same time. I've seen it happen to a bunch of artists.
>>
>>66286877
KEK
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.