[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
itt: artists you dont really like, but keep trying to get into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 6
File: pleb.png (55 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
pleb.png
55 KB, 400x400
itt: artists you dont really like, but keep trying to get into because everyone talks about how good they are

>converge
>sufjan stevens
>animal collective
>godspeed you! black emperor
>>
File: image.jpg (167 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167 KB, 600x600
definitely Redfoo
>>
>>66250213
Goddamn it stop trying to make this meme happen you fucking dunce
>>
>>66250196
>Julia Holter
Guys she's p bad let's be honest
>>
>>66250196
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

I really liked Boatmans Call tho
>>
Death grips
Grimes
>inb4 my house is nuked by grimes fans
>>
this is the most pathetic thread on /mu/ right now
>>
>>66250196
Talking Heads.

Maybe its just not my cup of tea
>>
>>66250304
im honored :)
>>
Autechre
Bjork
Bob Dylan
Faust
>>
>joy division
>microphones
>slint
>swans
>gy!be

>jazz
>>
Kanye
I don't get the hype at all
>>
I can't into Captain Beefheart but I feel like that goes for a lot of people
>>
Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Doors
The Grateful Dead
Animal Collective
Oasis
>>
Bjork

I don't get why people like her, but she is a qt
>>
swans. what the fuck is so great about a 20 minute song that is just 4 songs spliced together. pretentious and boring as fuck.
>>
GY!BE and Bjork for me that's for sure

>>66250448
I feel ya there too mate.
>>
>>66250233
Nope. Which albums did you listen to though? Have You in My Wilderness was a little overrated I'll admit, but it just happened to be the kind of thing P4K and Fantano would lose their shit over.
>>
autechre
>>
>>66250506
this
>>
>>66250522
Ekstasis is the one I've listened to most. I'm just being a contra. She's not awful, don't understand why she's compared to Joanna though.
>>
>>66250536
>>66250368
i'm the resident autechre attaché - what have you heard by them?
>>
swans
the beatles
radiohead
>>
>>66250613
Bike, Altibzz, Montreal, Foil
>>
>>66250568
>don't understand why she's compared to Joanna though.
she's a modern female musician
/mu/'s knowledge of modern female musicians is so pitifully limited that that's enough to consider their musical styles as being comparable
>>
>>66250649
just tracks? their material is definitely intended to be listened to in the context of a full album or ep. if you want something sort of beat-y and energetic then i'd recommend the envane ep. for something more ambient go with garbage.
>>
>>66250686
That's what I assumed. Wouldn't even put them in the same genre. Julia turned me onto Jessica Pratt so she's got that going for her. I think I just need to spend more time with her albums.
>>
>>66250741
not that anon but i'm the one who originally posted autechre

i've tried exai twice and its just wow...so dense and chaotic and hard to follow but I get the feeling that's what the autechre is all anout
>>
>>66250906
Fuck you
>>66250368
Me posting autechre
>>66250536
You posting autechre after me
Damn it anon
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 300x300
>>66250960
Oh
have this rare kanye as an apology
>>
>>66250986
Don't let it happen again
>>
>>66250506
>every album released before Soundtracks for the Blind
>>
>>66250906
lol yeah, exai is really not the best way to start imo. the reason why a lot of fans love it and it's talked about on here so much is because it combines and takes different aspects from almost every era of their 20+ year career, but more refined and dialed up - you sort of have to know their history to get the full effect. chronologically is the best way to go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLXzSefzVWU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJuvZUsKoQ0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ7Mu8YJbSU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m4jOwrVOPQ
>>
joanna newsom

>that fucking voice
>>
>>66251050
this is good shit thanks man way more traditional I guess you could say
>>
>>66250233
shes not bad but she's more interesting to write about, and "artistically", than in terms of raw enjoyment value
>>
>>66251139
I did really like her KEXP performance. You can tell she puts a lot of thought into her arrangements.
>>
>bach
>perotin
>gesualdo
>wagner
opera in general, actually
>genghis tron
>deafheaven
>les rallizes denudes
>>
someone help me get into gy!be and/or swans, i really just don't understand the appeal and i wish i did damn it
>>
>>66250196
Fucking Animal Collective. I cannot get into any of it, and i've listened to all of it.
>>
>>66251430
Not even MPP?
>>
>>66251401
For Swans listen to their stuff before Soundtracks for the Blind.
>>
>>66251401
i think it's the type of art that doesn't speak to most people. it's a soundscape far too dense and elaborate for some people to actually make emotions out of
>>
>>66251449
lol don't kid yourself
>>
>>66251447
if i like it, can i go from there into their later stuff?
>>
>>66251401
Gy!be is just supposed to pull some emotions out with repetitive motifs and dense/interesting sounds and then draw them out over textural and dynamic builds. Just try to imagine the emotions and such that appear when your listening to it and let the music move you with that (weed helps with that specifically)
>>
>>66251470
No, their early, middle, and late stuff are completely different.
>>
>>66251465
what? are you saying swans is accessible to most people?
>>
>>66251482
i think he was just implying you sound like a pretentious asshole
>>
>>66251449
>dense and elaborate
hardly, gy!be is pretty simple and Swans...well Swans is pretty simple too most of the time, that and repetitive
>>
I tried to like late Swans (trilogy) but i can't, also why are they SO much better live than studio? Really makes me upset
>>
>>66251445
Nope. The only song i've even remotely enjoyed is cuckoo

not memeing
>>
>>66251488
I didn't write the post he was replying to but swans and gybe do make dense soundscapes a lot of people aren't going to be able to 'get' as exemplified by this thread
>>
>>66250506
>listens to To Be Kind once
>>
>>66251482
to a certain audience? yes. i mean they're /mu/core, acclaimed at most publications, they're even popular over at fuckin' ktt. i think you overestimate how difficult they are.
>>
>>66251515
Im not saying you should enjoy MPP, but you should at least "get" it....its literally simple pop melodies for the most part...Go listen to In the Flowers, go go go
>>
>>66251207
perotin? seriously? that early polyphonic music is like experiencing heaven, at least intoxicated
>>
Swans for sure.

The long repetitive segments and drones irritate the fuck out of me.
>>
>>66250196
why not sufjan? he's pretty accessible, are you just not into the genre?
>>
>>66250370
>not liking jazz
anti-hipsterism is the new hipster
>>
>>66250436
i felt like that too but after having his songs crammed down my throat several times while working out, I've developed a taste for some of his music. He definitely takes some artistic liberties. better that than playing it safe all the time
>>
File: FB_IMG_1467797135053.jpg (19 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1467797135053.jpg
19 KB, 400x600
Beefheart, Ween, Surfjan, Merzbow.

I haven't listened to all of TMR and just a bit of Safe as Milk, I think I just need to listen more desu.

I've only listened to the first song off The Mollusk cause it just doesn't appeal to me.

I listened like half an hour into Illinoise and got bored.

Merzbow I'm warming up to a bit cause I like drone, it's a bit harsh to start off though.

Anyone got any tips or advice on how to enjoy these artists?
>>
>>66250196
How the actual fuck are you unable to get into AnCo? They're the best /mu/core band we have.
>>
>>66251712
Ween is literally "what genre are we spoofing in this song????" and they draw out of a hat, go listen to The Pod
>>
>>66251712
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgMMxPdGh9U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgfpHJ6npO0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv-gT9lNa1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z1v_xtHpU8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3UxTNjfLCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2PJx6f2zGk
>>
>>66250196
>>66251712
What do you guys dislike about Sufjan? And have you listened to anything by him other than Carrie and Lowell?
>>
>>66251712
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxVubAHxpuM
>>
>>66251712
For Beefheart start with Shiny Beast (Cat Chain Puller). It's one of the best rock albums ever. Very catchy, but still experimental and very Beefheart.
For Sufjan try Michigan and just cry. even if you don't feel like crying, punch yourself in the gut and cry. Then you'll get it
>>
>>66251897
Bat Chain Puller?
>>
>>66251989
ye, sorry
>>
>>66251873
Stalker is his only good album.
>>
>>66250196
Literally fucking My Bloody Valentine. I keep trying to get into Loveless but it's just so boring.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>66250196
Alien Kids
>>
>>66252175
fucking pleb
>>
>Swans
>GY!BE
>Microphones
>MBV
>AnCo
>Most black metal
>>
>>66250313
if you haven't listened to Remain in Light at least twice you're doing it wrong
>>
>>66250196
Coil and Oneohtrix Point Never

I listen to plenty of stuff thats more out there then those guys, but for some reason their stuff never 'clicks' for me and is anything beyond "cool i guess"
>>
>>66250196
Sufjan stevens does suck though
>>
>>66250196
The only Godspeed You Black Emperor songs that I enjoy are Moya and Dead Flag Blues. I just don't get the hype. I hear all the time that the music brings people to tears and I don't understand it
>>
>>66250196
Why bother wasting time on music you don't enjoy when there's so much other music out there in the world to discover?
>>
>>66250196
lad stick with Converge
took me three years to 'get' but it was worth it for their seminal live shows.
Petitioning The Empty Sky is my fav album.
GY!BE also took me a while but LYSF is massive.

For albums that I can't 'get' - haven't given Swans a proper chance because I don't have the fucking patience, other than that I'm not struggling. I don't understand hype around any prog at all, except maybe some pink floyd, but I don't stress about that - it's not for me.

Actually, now that I think about it, most jazz that isn't on Brainfeeder hahahah
>>
Animal Collective
Neutral Milk Hotel
Joy Division
Radiohead
Grimes
Death Grips (I like a couple of their albums, but I don't understand why all of their albums are considered amazing.)
>>
>>66250196
yung lean
>>
(You)
>>
>>66252857
(you)
>>
>>66252869
Thank you famdog, it's hard out here in these streets.
I don't get enough yous, likes, upvotes, or subscribes.
>>
>>66252885
under rated post
upvoted
>>
>>66251112
if only her ass could sing instead
>>
>>66250506 fuckin this
>>
>>66250196
>autechre
>boards of canada
they never clicked with me, which is weird considering i'm into IDM, ambient

>Swans, GY!BE, Jonana newsom
i'm not a rockist
>>
>>66250196
The Who
OPN
>>
File: 1464065490534.png (782 KB, 1023x800) Image search: [Google]
1464065490534.png
782 KB, 1023x800
>>66252290
I have and I honestly couldn't feel it outside of 'Once in a Lifetime', it's just never really stuck with me for some weird reason
>>
>>66251207
Don't waste your time with Rallizes desu
They were unknown for a reason
>>
>>66255711
Listen to their live album. The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads. It is their best works. And if you can't dance to this. Then there is no use for you.
>>
>>66250506
>Never listened to Minimalism
If your not a fan of Swans than I can expect you not to enjoy Philip Glass, Steve Reich, Drone, and Glenn Branca.

Which is a shame, because you have zero patience for music.
>>
>>66250448
Yeah. I just don't see it.

I know some people love him though so I don't really talk shit about it.
>>
File: 1467874410706.jpg (983 KB, 1280x1336) Image search: [Google]
1467874410706.jpg
983 KB, 1280x1336
>Joanna Newsom
Long song lengths on Ys threw me off. And HONoM is a fucking double album and her voice tires me off real easily. Just sing a little softer like Bjork or Kate Bush and I'll enjoy her more.
>My Chemical Romance
Mind you they were a part of my childhood, but now I have no idea why they are praised now
>Pixies
Just fucking shit.
>The Avalanches
Have no idea why, but I never got into them. And was way more into J Dilla and DJ Shadow.
>Royal Trux
A shit version of Beefheart and an even shittier Noise Punk band then anything I've ever heard. The most masturbatory crap I've ever listened to.
>K-Pop
Just fucking throw into a fucking graveyard. Holy shit is it commercial and manipulative (Parent's paying their childrens surgery instead of education).
>Anything Free-Jazz
Indulgent mess most of the time.
>Future (Specifically DS2)
What are you even doing to me? He's shit and last year you guys claimed it was better then TPaB? You fucking idiots.
>Elliot Smith
Something about his voice and how bare bones his music is turns me off. If I want something better. I'll go to Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, or Leonard Cohen. Not this shitty emo-esque kid playing a acoustic guitar.
>>66251494
That applies to every band in existence. Unless they are fucking rusty as fuck. Look at Neutral Milk Hotel live and you'll fucking know that they sound 100% better live.
>>66252820
>lad stick with Converge
All I did to get into Converge was dance to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0-FCmDcb0Q and wailed a stick around a bush for the duration of the song in a park.
>>
>>66256304
Also Converge in the Gym is excellent. It gets you ultra pumped up for the day. Although one time I screamed really loudly. And everyone thought I was going mad.
>>
>>66251579
Listen to swans when you're falling asleep.
Plan out a nap and put that shit on its magic
>>
>>66251712
Ween covers so many genres and styles.
You should give them another try, they're super satisfying once you "get it".
>>
>>66256420
I distinctively remember my first time listening to Swans. It was The Seer and what I did was worked on a project and put it on my BT Speakers and just built something by improvisation. And it got me into a zoned out feeling. It's like its own drug in a way.

Later on I seriously listened to the albums and slept with them. And everytime it is an unique and intense experience.

Now, I know not everyone out there is patient as I see this thread a lot of people can't get into Drone as it seems. And with that genre just think of them as meditative experiences. Why do you think Earth 2: Special Low Frequency Version exists as some people's personal tool to meditate and clear out ones mind?

It is like the rock version of ambient music in a way.
>>
>>66256420
especially stuff like cop
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.