[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/monthly/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: mm.png (52 KB, 1050x875) Image search: [Google]
mm.png
52 KB, 1050x875
Hi /mu/

This is my second thread I'm posting about this, my first being archived here >>66193163

I am wondering what the response is and who would be interested in taking part in an ongoing thread where we vote on a genre for each month and listen and discuss that genre. Each thread could look something like this:

Welcome to /monthly/!

/monthly/ is an ongoing thread where we choose a genre to listen to for the month and listen to together. Why? In doing this we generate more discussion about the genre, music sharing, charts, and an easier way for you to explore the genre. We have listen alongs and share what we have been listening to and at the end of the month, vote on what albums are the greatest of that genre.

This month's genre is :
>xxxxx
https://rateyourmusic.com/genre/xxxxx/

At the end of each month we also vote on the most god-tier albums so if it was near the end there would be a strawpoll in there to vote.
Then there'd probably be more shit just related to what's going on in the threads.

We'd need to use a website to vote on genres but for now we can use strawpoll. If this interests you, leave a reply saying what genre you'd like and after 10-15 replies we can make a strawpoll and have some kind of a mock-vote.

It would be better to have a survey where you can post any genre and then i'd individually go through them or use something on google but I forgot what it's called and am leaving in about 5 minutes (but I will check this thread on my phone)

I think that's all for now, so any feedback is appreciated! And if you'd like to help by making graphics or anything related to monthly that would be super appreciated! :)

also is /monthly/ best name? http://www.strawpoll.me/10693369
>>
sounds pretty cool
>>
Blues
>>
>>66245504
I thought we decided on newwave???
>>
this sounds pretty cool
>>
>>66245504
So everybody listens to the same albums? or everybody just chooses their own albums within the genre to listen to?

People have done this before. Nothing But Black Metal November is the only one that ever really seems successful.
>>
>>66245682
we didnt really have that many votes so i was thinking if we set the ball rolling right away wed get more votes
>>
>>66245705
everybody just listens to whatever as long as it's in the genre. i know it works great for nbbmn and theres a ton of shoegaze threads in the winter and was thinking if the monthly threads had a sizeable following it would work for almost any genre. but people can jump in and out of the threads for any month if its a genre they wish to explore or if its a genre they dislike
>>
Dub Techno
>>
Prog Rock
>>
even better would be if you started weekly blindfold threads and did a different genre every month. it makes for better discussion imo when everybody is listening to the same music.
>>
>>66245765
Let's just stick with new wave this month. We already have several people (including me) who've made and are currently working on charts.
>>
so basically it's just /daily/ with everybody doing the same genre each month
>>
>>66246386
whats a blindfold thread? sorry idk i rareely post much

>>66246488
>>66246488
i didnt even think wed be starting this month and was hoping on a bigger vote sorry :( i was just doing a mock vote. id like to have a huge vote on a bunch of genres where each person posts up to 10 genres and then we vote for which month to apply them to, which would get the most popular genres in all the months
>>
>>66246566
no, it's more like a genre themed thread but the genre changes every month so you get a different kind of thread every month.
>>
>>66246643
one .zip file of a collection of untagged music.
listen for a week
discuss
>>
>>66246643
>whats a blindfold thread?
>>66078142

Right now it seems to only exist for jazz for whatever reason but I think it'd be great to do with other genres.
>>
File: new wave.png (308 KB, 1476x1053) Image search: [Google]
new wave.png
308 KB, 1476x1053
Chuzpe
1000 Takte Tanz

Formulaic new wave with predictable song structures and a frustratingly limited synth pallet. A first I was infatuated by the sound of this album. It gave off a late 70s progressive electronic vibe. That soon got old.

The vocal style is entertaining, but this album as a whole isn't challenging and daring enough to stand out against even the more mediocre New Wave acts of it's time.

The album cover is better than the album itself.
>>
File: NewWave.png (625 KB, 640x1060) Image search: [Google]
NewWave.png
625 KB, 640x1060
I'm gonna post my New Wave chart + ratings, I'm hoping that tomorrow a /monthly/ thread appears, if not I'll make one.

>Television - Marquee Moon

This album is praised constantly by fans of new wave, and it's not hard to see why. Many new wave bands that followed Television took at least some influence from them. That being said, this album is still very enjoyable to listen to, even if you ignore its influence entirely. Tom Verlaine's vocals are very unique, however at times they sound a bit off, and I could see some people disliking this album or band just because of Tom's voice. The guitar riffs are catchy as hell, too. This album is a classic, and anybody who's into punk, new wave, or rock in general should listen to it.

Favorite Tracks: See No Evil, Marquee Moon, Elevation, Prove It, Torn Curtain

8/10

>Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Armed Forces

This is Elvis Costello's 3rd album, and in my opinion, it's not as good as his first two. The high points are higher on this album, but the low points are lower. It's not as consistent as My Aim Is True or This Year's Model. I still enjoyed it a bit, I just wish that this album was consistently good. That being said, Peace, Love, and Understanding is a masterpiece.

Favorite Tracks: Accidents Will Happen, Oliver's Army, Green Shirt, Sunday's Best, (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding

6/10

>Madness - One Step Beyond...

This is quite possibly the best ska album ever recorded. It's fun, it's catchy, and it never feels repetitive. I wouldn't say it's a prefect 10/10, but it's a solid album that more people need to hear. If you are looking for some great ska or just some fun music to dance around to, this is the album for you.

Favorite Tracks: One Step Beyond, My Girl, Night Boat to Cairo, The Land of Hope and Glory, Bed & Breakfast Man, Rockin' in A Flat, Madness

9/10
>>
>>66246643
I read your reply late. >>66246783 wasn't out of spite. Also you might want to see this.

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/mu/thread/S66202617#p66223242

I wasn't aware that this was a different poster.
>>
>>66246723
>>66246765
thanks. that actually sounds really awesome, and yeah it could totally work. im guessing these threads would be full of shares too so i hope it wont subtract from shares
>>
>>66246881
oh yeah sorry i had no clue that thread existed, i checked if there were any monthly related threads after i got done working but yeah i didnt see it.
>>
>>66245504
I like this idea a lot, but it needs to be tweaked a little. Here's my take:
1) A thread is made deciding what genre for the month
2) Once the genre is decided, a new thread is made where people post albums that fit that genre that they would like to hear.
3) Once the thread is starting to die, a poll is made for voting for the albums.
4) The top 30 (or however many days are in that month) albums are put into a chart.
5) Users listen to one album per day, like daily, and rate it
6) By the end of the month, everyone votes on what album is the best in the genre
7) Rinse and repeat
Thoughts?
>>
>>66247159
that actually sounds pretty cool, a little more like daily but theres significantly less music sharing and less music total being listened to.
>>
>>66247159
Then there would just be a bunch of /mu/core albums to listen to. For instance, new wave. I'm purposely avoiding the bulk of the classics because I personally believe that a huge percentage of mainstream new wave is shite.

>>66247218
Savage but true.
>>
>>66247333
I agree with keeping most popular albums off of any chart we make for each month. I know the classics are classics for a reason and are seminal etc etc but I don't need to see remain in light when im looking for new records
>>
>>66247218
>>66247333
>>66247401
The choice was the main issue with my post for sure, but I have no clue on how to fix it. If we allow full choice for anons, we'll pretty much just get the top 30 of rym for a genre. If we allow no choice at all, not many people will participate because they have no choice. It's a double sided sword, and perhaps (most likely) my idea is absolute shit.
>>
>>66247874
I think we were better in the direction we went last "thread". A themed /daily/ of sorts. I recommended occasional listen-alongs to heighten the feel of the current theme. The end of month voting is a nice touch as well.

I admit that there needs to be more somewhere, but giving people set albums to listen to probably isn't the way to go.
>>
>>66247874
the voting will no doubt end up being one of the top 30s but the charts and shared music i doubt will be top 30, especially a week into the month
>>
also for the mock vote we have blues, new wave, dub techno, prog rock and im gonna add post-rock incase anyone still wants a mock vote but idk if anyone will :( reply to this if you want to add a genre
>>
>>66248438
I still want the vote

I'm also adding Krautrock, but that could fall under prog.
>>
>>66248475
>>66248475
okay ill make the strawpoll when we get 10 votes but it might not meab anything if people want new wave. i just really want the vote to see how it looks with more than four genres or however many the last had.

blues
new wave (which idk if we should include because people might just vote for it cuz thats what people already are doing)
dub techno
prog rock
post-rock
krautrock
>>
>>66248887
>new wave (which idk if we should include because people might just vote for it cuz thats what people already are doing)

I don't see anything wrong with that. Its still a fair vote.
>>
>>66248887
Hmm, how about slowcore?
>>
>>66248949
yeah i guess actually the people who started probably voted for new wave desu didnt think about that
>>
>>66249081
holy shit i said desu on accident meant to write guess i
>>
Well I'm off to bed, if people want to still post genres I will make a new thread in the morning with a strawpoll unless the general consensus is keep it new wave. We currently have:

blues
new wave
dub techno
prog rock
post-rock
krautrock
slowcore
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.