[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what kind of people genuinely like boards of canada?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2
File: BOC.jpg (73 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
BOC.jpg
73 KB, 1600x1600
also, are there actually women who like them for the music and not for special snowflake status?
>>
>>66240775
I like boards of canada
I am depressed, semi-metalhead, engineering student
I make boring trash ambient
>>
>>66240820
>I am depressed, semi-metalhead, engineering student
I am a*
>>
>>66240842
>I am a
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>66240775
Neo-nazis, transsexuals, bronies, natsec contractors, single dads, Armenian thugs and SJWs mostly
>>
I LOVE boards

I make music, am a homo, and think japs are the best at math rock
>>
>>66240820

I usually listen to them when I'm in a neutral to good mood.
If I'm depressed or feeling really down, I can't listen to their music. Okay, maybe some of their tracks (like 5·9·78 for example).

Also, when I'm in a shit mood I try to listen to no music at all since I might associate it later with that shitty situation and that would ruin it for me if it was a track I really liked.
>>
INFP who loves to listen to boards of canada at night time because it makes me comfy
>>
>>66240775
I like them

I am a land use planner out in the country and its nice as hell listening to them while driving through fields and forests during site visits. Perfect summertime music t b h.
>>
>>66240934
>tfw infp too
>>
>>66240879
I just tried to sum up things about me in a quick way but okay
>>
>>66240976
i was being ironic
>>
I like them, and I want to kill myself.
>>
>>66240842
>I am a depressed
Fuck you retarded bruh
>>
Me and my friends like Boards of Canada.
>>
I like them. Genuinely.

>23 year old male web developer
>pale, skinny, long hair, glasses, crappy stubble beard
>favorite artists are Varien, Solar Fields, Insomnium, Cage the Elephant, Archive, Alice in Chains, Pink Floyd, Far Too Loud, TheFatRat, FIDLAR, My Chemical Romance, Kyuss, Gorillaz, King Crimson, Washed Out, Toro y Moi, Rise Against, Whitechapel, Heaven Shall Burn, The Orb, Royal Blood, The Black Keys, Wolfmother, The Heavy, The Vines, Jack White, The Stone Foxes, At the Drive-In
>clinically depressed, panic disorder, generalized anxiety, social anxiety, adhd, autistic, used to be suicidal
>currently on antidepressants and in therapy, feels good man
>>
>>66241688
Glad to hear the therapy and meds are helping man
>>
>>66241754
I can recommend it to anyone struggling with depression and anxiety. Haven't had a single panic attack, emotional breakdown or suicidal episode since my treatment started.

If you're struggling with these things, go get help. There is no shame in it.
>>
>>66241688
>23 year old male web developer
>pale, skinny, long hair, glasses, crappy stubble beard
Well that hits home if you take away long hair and glasses.

I haven't really listened to any Boc since Tomorrow's Harvest though. Not that I don't still like them, but I've just moved onto other music.
>>
>>66241873
(I used to have long hair though, especially back when I listened to Boc)
>>
>>66240889
>women who like them
>single dads
>>
>>66240905
>japs are the best at math rock
this is true

does anyone remember an interview with boards where they talk about driving a long way to pick up some synth and used it for like a few seconds in one song
>>
Sat by a stream and drank beer while listening to them once.

It was bretty gud
>>
>>66240775
Boards of Canada make the best Calculus music. By that I mean music you listen to while doing Calculus HW.
>>
>>66240775
Been into Boards for four years or so.
I make ambient music, but I don't consider it boring or trash.
>>66240889
u wot
>>
>>66240775
what kind of question is this? Have you had experiences where someone has openly stated they don't like low key drone with bleeps and bloops here and there? More importantly why do you care who and who does not like boards of canada? I hope you enjoy your time with someone even though they hate your music taste.
>>
I am a white 6 foot 3 25 year old neet (well I'm doing a German course at college every thursday now but that doesn't really count) who is a bit overweight despite having one of the most ectomorphic bodies in existence. I could defo look average to someone if they had a few pints but I was not blessed with good looks on the whole, I am a good laugh with my small group of mates but need to export the lad I am with them to everyone else.

Had 2 bouts of severe depression since I turned 18 with lots of laziness and self destruction inbetween them.

I used to play footy to an ok level (county team)
and did athletics for my school in local events until I did that veer thing at the finish line you see athletes and did some kind of roll and ended up flat on my back in front of 500 people. Still managed 4th place out of 8 though :3

My other favourite artists are Lone, Flying Lotus, The Avalanches, White Denim and Titus Andronicus. I would love some recs of lesser known artists who are similar to any of these because I still have the same taste and music collection pretty much that I had when I was 19.

I don't give a fuck whether they're special snowflakes or not, I will find a girl with low esteem and we'll listen to everything you do is a balloon in the wodds near my house on while on lsd.

BOC have songs for all kinds of emotions put the one I prefer to listen to (with a couple of exceptions) are the serene ones that don't make me fele happy or sad, but kind of neutral if that doesn't sound totally wank.

Probably not making the best case for us here desu.
>>
Some of their stuff is filler as far as the melodies go but some of it is really great, as songwriters I think they're some of my favorites ever. It's funny when people try to emulate their sound but aren't as good at writing melodies.
>>
>>66240775
People who lived a happy childhood.
>>
I like them mostly because they are great at creating that delusion of nostalgia.

A little about myself
>uni grad in digital art
>trans
>enjoys mostly shoegaze/dreampop
>little to no mental health issues
>healthy, well adjusted, but working freelance and no income
>>
>>66241262
Same brethren
>>
>>66241859
Thanks for being so positive man, it's tough to speak up about shit like that but I'm glad people here can have a discussion about it without memeing
>>
>>66243732
weak fuck do some real math
>>
>>66241715
m o d s
>>
File: 1404759384301.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1404759384301.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
>>66246051
>trans
>little to no mental health issues
>well adjusted
>>
One of my girl friends fucking loves them and we live in south america so nobody knows who the fuck they are
>>
>>66246051
>>trans
>>little to no mental health issues

If this is true (leaving aside the views some people have that being trans is a mental health issue in of itself) then you are a rare fucking breed and should be congratulated
>>
>not liking outre sounds like those of BoC and Bowery Electric

I'll admit that part of the pleasure is feeling somewhat superior to others for having fringe tastes (not saying that drone ambient is fringe in any way) but i like it mostly for its odd soundscape.
>>
>>66246051
>>66246368
seconded. you're brave for being comfortable with who you are, and you're a baller for being into BoC. keep doing you anon :)
>>
im a girl and i like them so fuck you
>>
>>66246364
>One of my girl friends fucking loves them and we live in south america so nobody knows who the fuck they are

One of yr girl friends? playaaaaaaaa

It's cool when you meet people in countries like stuff you might not expect them too

we got friendly with this waiter in Tunisia who showed us around some cool local spots who would keep trying to engage me about portishead and other acts like that.

>was probably only so friendly because he was banging one of my family members :-(
>>
>>66246995
Yeah dude, you're cool.
>>
>>66246314
you don't know me, bitch

>>66246368
>>66246431
thanks guys. I would consider being trans a mental health issue if it clearly was effecting me negatively like with anxiety or depression or whatever, but it's just not
>>
>>66240775

Which BOC songs are not depressing garbage?
>>
>>66241067
you should have put an /s then..
>>
>>66247732

a significant number of them
>>
>>66246371
Why am i not surprised that the one person ITT who knows about bowery electric is also a self confessed douche
>>
>>66241688
Weird how similar I am to this. But, my taste is better.

>Bill Evans, Slowdive, Nick Drake, Ornette Coleman, Wayne Shorter, Jon Hopkins, This Heat, Kendrick Lamar, Talk Talk, Iron & Wine, Ulrich Schnauss, Tortoise, Sigur Ros (inb4 pleb), RHP/SKM, Elliott Smith, the Radio Dept, Cocteau Twins...
>>
>>66248245
You kidding? I know of bowery electric and not an asshole.
>>
>>66240775
Their Few old Tunes albums are better than any of their official stuff desu
>>
>>66240889
Holy shit. I know someone who fits two of these...
>>
>>66248330
>>66248245
>>66246371
I expect all three of you to be one those people who have only listened to Fear of Flying
>>
>>66247083
Gender dysphoria is a mental illness. Whether or not you're able to cope with it to the degree of assimilating into society is another manner, like someone with schizophrenia being able to live independently, but if you think you have no mental health issues, you're just deluding yourself. And telling by your degree of cognitive dissonance, I'd assume you're simply blind to your own mental health.
>>
>>66248398
Uh, I rotate through their 3 albums pretty regularly.

What's with 4chan being such a platform for assuming pure bullshit?
>>
>>66247881
Well can you please provide examples for some happy, accessible songs by them?
>>
>>66248444
>The American Psychiatric Association, publisher of the DSM-5, states that "gender nonconformity is not in itself a mental disorder. The critical element of gender dysphoria is the presence of clinically significant distress associated with the condition."
>>
i like them
my wife likes them
we only really listen to music has the right & geogaddi, the concurrent eps, and old tunes though
>>
depressed kids who do too much acid
>>
Aphex Twins vs Boards of Canada

Go
>>
I'm kinda asocial and irritatingly neutral on almost everything. I do like surreal and/or ethereal atmospheres though and BoC's pretty decent at that so they're alright I guess.
>>
>>66248510

I think that dude is wrong as a lot of their songs are pretty neutral, but I'll post a few examples of ones I'd deem happy songs. If you want ones that aren't "depressing garbage" but not exactly cheerful ditties either I'd be here all night listening them.

But anyway:

Everything you do is a balloon
Aquarius
Roygbiv
Dayvan Cowboy
Macquarie Ridge
In a Beautiful Place Out in The Country
Olson
Sir Prancelot Brainfire
Over the Horizon Radar
Dawn Chorus
Kiteracer 1
Magic Window

are all upbeat, cheerful songs to me
>>
>>66247732
BOC is not depresing at all
>>
>>66245715
You are mentally ill. Get help.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.