[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that physical formats are practically dead, will the album
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: $_12.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
$_12.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
Now that physical formats are practically dead, will the album format eventually die too?

The album format spawned from vinyl records, it was a commercial way of releasing lots of songs in bulk.
>>
No. Albums are better then ever because there's no restrictions on the length of it. Artists will always release albums, they aren't going to suddenly go back to writing nothing but hit singles just because CD's aren't as popular.
>>
>>66195557
But most albums are just a collection of mostly unrelated *new* songs delivered in one sing package for economic convienience. Probably only 5 % of albums are meant to be listened to all the way through in one event, and this trend was mostly popular in the 60s-70s.
>>
pop musicians will release singles and serious musicians will release albums.
>>
Only if you're a poptimist.
>>
>>66195339
Good question!
>>
>>66195339
>Physical formats
>Practically dead

I hope you are joking. Digital is fucking shit.
>>
>>66195339
>physical formats are practically dead

>vinyls currently selling more than they have since the 80s
>tapes currently selling more than they have since the 90s
>>
>>66195921
This is a meme for poptimists. Every album except top-40 shit is sequenced and mixed so that it can provide a cohesive experience when listened to the proper way. Only ADHD kids need excitement in 4-minute burts, it's like going on YT and watching one scene from a movie
>>
>>66196197

Now compare it to digital download and streaming
>>
>>66196054
Why do you see the singles format as /less serious/?

You do know for an overwhelming majority of popular music history releasing music as one song was default, right? Ever seen an Edison cylinder?

Before recorded music, music wasn't written in album format, it was written in one long piece.

The album format is a commercial meme.
>>
>>66196197
Vinyl meme is crashing though.
>>
>>66196389
When? Where?
>>
>>66196297
>it's like going on YT and watching one scene from a movie

That's a retarded analogy. Music is not a storytelling medium.
>>
>>66196297
This. I think most bands/artists (at least the ones who actually use the medium as an expression and not just to become famous and rich) have a lot to say than a single track can cover. Sure some songs might sound vastly different on the same album but will fit into a general theme
>>
>>66196554
>Sure some songs might sound vastly different on the same album but will fit into a general theme

That's just your imagination. Alot of albums contain songs that are written years apart from each other. Sometimes an album contains songs that are scraps from older albums.

Example: Kid A

Face it, all this shits just a meme you bought into.
>>
>>66196457
>music is not a storytelling medium
>>
>>66196833
It's not. Unless you're a lyrics guy, in which you should just be reading literature because lyrics=/=music.
>>
>>66196923
>music is not a storytelling medium because i ignore the storytelling part of music
>>
>>66198520
The human voice is used as a musical instrument, lyrics are sung just for thematic reasons often no real narrative.

Still, lyrics=/=music

Singing is music, but lyrics are literature.
>>
>>66196389
I work at a record store, and you're wrong. More kids are buying vinyl than ever before. It's extremely popular among younger kids, especially girls.
>>
>>66195921
Lol at this bait
>>
>>66199492
so through using your voice as an instrument by singing lyrics that depict a story, music becomes a medium for storytelling.. or am i missing something
>>
>>66199575
>It's extremely popular among younger kids, especially girls.

Which is more proof that it is on its way out. When the vinyl revival meme first amerged it was mostly popular with millennial males.

They sell p4k vinyl records at every chain bookstore and coffeeshop. Face it, this bubble has popped and everyone who was originally involved in the vinyl meme is running far away from it.
>>
>>66199649
>this delusion
>>
>>66199575
how much longer do think the whole "vinyl craze" is gonna last? I notice that most people who buy records don't even have a way to play them.
>>
>>66196362
>Before recorded music, music wasn't written in album format, it was written in one long piece.

and whaddya know, most symphonies, sonatas and concertos just happen to be roughly album-length!

It's almost as if the human brain tends to find 40 to 70 minutes as the desirable norm for a cohesive musical piece, and thus the album format is absolutely fine!

Ain't that neat?
>>
>>66200256
Then how about instead of writing many tracks, just write and record one big one?
>>
>>66195921
This nigga
>>
>>66196297
>it's like going on YT and watching one scene from a movie
But lots of people do just that.
>>
>>66196923
>>66199492
You have got to be autistic. I mean that seriously. Fucking listen to yourself.
>>
>>66200096
god, this annoys the shit out of me.
>>
>>66200318
Because the industry will never let that be very commercially successful. Fuck, anything too much longer than 5 minutes never gets played on a radio station, much less an hour and a half. Although, it would be an incredible artistic feat to do that in an original and fluid way.
>>
>>66195339
Anyone who thinks the album is gunna last much longer is deluding themselves. Sure, it won't go completely away, but EPs and singles will be the standard procedure soon. Mark my words.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.