[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite genre? How would you explain that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1
File: notlikeothergirls.jpg (198 KB, 920x920) Image search: [Google]
notlikeothergirls.jpg
198 KB, 920x920
What's your favorite genre?

How would you explain that genre to someone who only listens to mainstream music without sounding pretentious?

I like folk, but I can't seem to explain it to others without sounding whiny or elitist.
>>
>>66167728
I like metal because it sounds fucking cool.
>>
>>66167728
You're a beta if you think like this
>>
>>66167809

I am really beta and get really upset when I talk about folk, shoegaze, and dreampop and people start laughing at me like I'm emotionally stunted because I like sad sounding music. A lot of my classmates and co-workers mock me for the type of music I listen to. I like rap, rock, and pop music to, but when not much of the mainstream stuff and when I introduce them to my peers I get mocked again.
>>
IDM
>It's electronic music but less danceable and more ambient
Works reasonably well. Most of the time it's not like people will really intensely think about your explanation, it's just important to give them a vague idea of what the music sounds like if they ask. I'd describe folk as "usually singer-songwriter works mostly reliant on acoustic instrumentation, esp. guitar"
>>
>>66167887
Well you kind of deserve that mockery since folk, shoegaze and dreampop sound very wimpy, and if you like them above every other genre, it means you crave wimphood.

There could be a very specific, non-wimpy reason for you to like them, but it doesn't seem like your explanations are going this way.
>>
>>66167887
a) don't talk about music to normies
b) don't talk about music
c) find better friends
>>
>>66168018

what's ambient?
>>
>>66167728
baiting normies is easy
just tell them they just won't get it and you need to learn music theory to get it.
easy as that
>>
>>66168031
Alright faggot calm down, go back to /b/
>>
>>66168129
Hey I'm just explaining you why you got no business complaining about the treatment people give you.

After all you're a huge beta.
>>
>>66167728
Whoa whoa whoa is that Midnight Machines on /mu/? I don't give a fuck what anyone says, Follow You Down is glorious.

Personally, I don't give a shit about sounding whiny/elitist. If anything, I've gotten a few "what does that sound like?"s and it gives me an opportunity to show some music I normally wouldn't just throw on for other people. I don't really have a favorite genre but gun-to-my-head I'd have to say dream pop/trip-hop so those are always fun to show people.
>>
>>66167728
>How would you explain that genre to someone who only listens to mainstream music without sounding pretentious?
I like everything. if they go into specifics just say x artist is too boring for you.
idk why you're scared of being called an elitist atleast its something
>>
>Anon, play something else. This song is too slow and boring.
>>
>>66168161
I'm not OP lol I just don't know why you're trying to be super internet tough guy. OP, I support your musical tastes, I like a lot of sad ambient music also.
>>
>>66168045
Huh, no one's ever asked me that before actually, but for argument's sake I'm gonna try my best
>Ambient music is more about atmosphere than about memorable structures/hooks and it's usually instrumental. Think elevator music, but actually pleasant and interesting to listen to.
>>
Dark synthwave
heavy, oppressive, retro sounding beats that make you wanna shoot up a school. Most people just tune out at retro.

>>66168161
>no business complaining about how people treat you
Sooooooo, we can treat you how we want?
>>
>>66168219
I'm not trying to be a tough guy I'm just explaining you why you come off as a wimp: because you listen to wimpy music.
>>
>>66168256
You can treat OP as a beta, cause that's what he is.
>>
>>66168279
Almost fell for it, good bait friendo
>>
why is /mu/ so scared of normies/friends??
whats the point of having a passion if you just give in and let some casual control you
jeez this board is so beta

T./fit/
have confidence in your taste in music
>>
>>66168307
I'm just answering your question; technically I'm the dumbass falling for the bait by giving you (You)s.
>>
>>66168321

>open up to someone about something that means a lot to you
>that someone mocks you and you get known as 'that guy' at work
>>
>>66168332
who gives a fuck if they mock you thats their insecurity not yours.
as long you polity show them what you like. its on them for being an asshole
Anyway being known as that guy is still better than being a nobody.
>>
>>66168332
yeah, that shit happens
I guess it's not such a big deal if the only way you found to deal with it is to make a dumb thread on /mu/.
>>
>>66168359
>thats their insecurity not yours
No, it's their sense of humor. Bullies are very self-confident.
>>
>>66168332
What happened precisely? Like who just makes fun of someone for liking something like folk? Either you said something incredibly socially awkward, or your co-workers are even more socially inept than you are.
>>
>Hey, look, Anon just clocked into work. Boss, how about you play some Giles Corey, Ramshake Glory, and 青葉市子 to make him feel at home
>>
>>66168389
no I disagree. you are giving them too much power. you honestly think somebody is gonna waste their life thinking about your shitty taste in music?
nobody gives a fuck besides for maybe 5 seconds then he/she is back thinking about themselves
unless you post something racist or very disturbing
nobody cares what you like
>>
>>66168438
I'm not OP I'm just clearing out your misconception about bullies so you don't go putting dumb ideas in OP's head.
>>
>>66168456
I think any generalisation regarding "bullies" is inherently a misconception. I've heard plenty of stories of insecure kids bullying others in order to feel liked and accepted, as well as stories of remorseless, narcissistic assholes. Demonising and dehumanising bullies as though you yourself could never become one is dumb.
>>
>>66168518
I wish I could be a bully, I only picked on people on rare occasions and it was great, I wish I was emotionally mature enough to do it more.
Most of the time, bullies are more decent human beings than their victims.
>>
>>66168587
Spot the wannabe psychopath
>>
>I say you don't need a thing from foreign countries
>here's your coffee, Anon!
>ahahahaha
>>
>>66168659
It's only psychopathy if you suffer from it.
>>
Is it weird if I have a don't have a favorite genre?
What I listen to completely depends on the mood and what I'm doing.
>>
>>66168424

>so like... surfer music?
>do you do drugs ?
>why do you listen to that kind of music? Are you suicidal?
>Music should make you feel relaxed and happy. Listening to sad music just encourages you to remain negative.
>I don't understand this song
>this song sounds creepy
>the guy who makes this music must have been crazy or done a lot of drugs
>>
>>66168725
>the guy who makes this music must have been crazy or done a lot of drugs
EVERY FUCKING TIME I POST SOMETHING
>>
>>66168710
Nothing weird about that at all
>>
>>66168710
>Is it weird if I have a don't have a favorite genre?
>if I have a don't have a
wat
why did I write this
>>
>>66168725
Yeah, co-workers confirmed idiots. I might be living in a bubble but I haven't been made fun of for my taste in music since I was 13.
>>
>>66168725
Do you work with retarded children?
>>
FM-84 Atlas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSGnNMnvM6M
https://fm84.bandcamp.com/album/atlas
>>
>>66168858
>pretending to shill an album you don't like so that people reject it
>>
Tom Odell is music for girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvosjKUKCLo
>>
>people still get shocked that there's music beyond stuff that's on the radio
>>
>>66168752

>you need to be crazy or influenced by drugs to do something creative
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.