[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Essential Velvet Underground?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3
>Listen to Velvet Underground & Nico
>Gets to the Nico songs...
>NOPE!
>Get to White Heat/White Light
>Production is godawful
>NOPE!

I loved their self titled, VU and Loaded albums. What are their essential albums? Also best live VU album? Help me be less of a filthy pleb /mu/... I'm trying, I'm trying real hard.
>>
TVU&N and WL/WH are their only essential albums
>>
Squeeze
>>
>>66105589
This, you should listen to them again and stop being terrible.
>>
Get the complete matrix tapes. No Nico, good production. Problems solved.
>>
>>66105589
/thread
>>
>>66105620
>>66105747
You did a very good job on explaining what makes the albums so good, I'm sure OP changed his mind after he read your posts.
>>
>TOO BUSY SUCKING ON MY DING-DONG

What did he mean by this???
>>
>>66105767
OP is a faggot who cares
>>
>What are their essential albums?
well you fuck they only recorded four studio albums, so why don't you quit being a pleb and enjoy all four instead of the most accessible two.
>>
>>66105589
>>66105612
>>66105620
>>66105747
>>66105833
>>66105845
Top tier music discussion ITT
>>
>>66105848
i second this.
>>
>>66105857
>What are their essential albums?
>post about essential albums

b-but muh discussion
>>
>>66105549

Honestly, it did take me a bit to get into their debut with Nico, and even still, Nico's songs aren't my favorite. But it's a solid effort and Heroin, There She Goes Again, and Sunday Morning are amazing.

And with WL/WH, I just love that production. But I could see how it would take some people time to either get used to/understand the production, or just not like it. But I love blasting Sister Ray down the highway.

Loaded and TVU are both their more polished albums with a lot of their poppier songs, so their far more easily accessible, and there's still some great songs between them. Pale Blue Eyes, Sweet Jane, Oh! Sweet Nuthin', Rock And Roll, Who Loves the Sun, etc.

They have only have four albums, so I would just give each of them a solid few listens. Definitely a band that grows on you.
>>
>>66106034
This. I HATED The VU at first. Ironically they didn't click with me until I got into Lou's solo work and went back into their discography.

With Nico 10/10
White Heat 9/10
TVU 10/10
Loaded 9/10
VU 9/10
That other one we never meantion... 3/10
Another View 6/10
Live stuff:
Live Max's Kansas City 5/10
Live MCMXCIII 6/10
Bootleg series Quine 6/10
1969 8/10
Matrix Tapes 10/10
>>
>>66106555
he gets it
>>
Why even listen to them if you only like their poppy boring stuff? They hate fans like you.
>>
>>66105549
White Light/White Heat is my favorite album of theirs. Loaded is incredibly bland in comparison. The first track is alright, but it's all downhill from there.

The self titled is still very good, but without John Cale, who left after WL/WH, it just doesn't feel like The Velvet Underground.

>no viola

Shit's weak, son. You should probably just go listen to A Moon Shaped Pool for the 70th time.

Also, I'll Be Your Mirror is one of the best songs from the debut.

>"wah, Nico's voice is substantially different from that of traditional american pop vocalists, wah"

you have the most plebian of opinions.
>>
Nico's songs are literally the best on the record

I fucking hate the underage reddit audience fantano has brought here. If you can't get into atonal vocals you shouldn't be here. Same plebs who complain about Beefheart.
>>
>listen to banana album
>gets to the songs where lou reed does a gay voice
>NOPE!
>>
>>66105549
Since you like the couch one, VU and Loaded, you should check out IV which is a fan made reconstruction of their fourth "lost" album.

http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/50545838/file.html
http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.ch/2013/10/the-velvet-underground-iv.html If you want to read about the music.
>>
>>66108956
The self titled is their best album.

WL/WH is hot garbage you fucking pleb. The guitar work on it is terrible. And muh sister ray is literally the same chord repeated for 20 mins.

We've got a wannabe patrician in here who knows nothing about music theory.
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 204x190) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 204x190
>>66109178
>music theory
>>
>>66108995
Velvet Underground and Beefheart are 2 of the most reddit bands out there you fucking pleb.

Get some real taste, then complain
>>
>>66109178
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism

>waaah it's the same two chords so it must be bad

>waaah the only scenery near Estragon and Vladimir is a tree so it must be bad

I bet you like prog rock you fucking reddit autismo
>>
If you dont like WLWH you dont like Velvet Underground. I bet you skip murder mystery.
>>
>>66109348
If it's even an attempt at minimalism, it's a fucking poor one.

>I bet you like prog rock you fucking reddit autismo

Not even close, you seem to think that more chords = better song. It just shows that you have no real understanding of music theory.

>>66109350
WLWH is their worst album easily.
>>
>>66109444
This guy is hilarious
>>
>>66109549
AKA

>"I got BTFO as a pleb and now I have no comeback"
>>
>>66109584
I'm not even the same guy it's just funny to watch you pull the music theory card.
>>
>>66109601
this.
>>
>>66109601
>I'm not even the same guy

Means

>I am the same guy
>>
Velvet Underground are a joke. They are only enjoyed by people who want to impress their friends.
>>
>>66108995
I made the post above yours and I still just don't understand the appeal of TMR.

>>66109178
WL/WH is miles ahead of the self titled. I bet you've got a poster on your wall for Lou's Transformer.

Oh, and repeatedly spouting "music theory" isn't making you seem intelligent. Especially since you're factually incorrect about Sister Ray.

>you
>fucking
>pleb
>>
>>66109760
what's your AOTY so far?
>>
>>66109783
>WL/WH is miles ahead of the self titled

This is the opinion of someone who knows jack shit about music.

>Especially since you're factually incorrect about Sister Ray

See pic
>>
>>66109797
A moon shaped pool
>>
>>66109711
please keep going this is rich you cant even greentext right
>>
>>66109797
Blood Orange Freetown Sound
>>
>>66109857
>you cant even greentext right

I cringed.

This is probably you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYPhXA2zHCU

Back to /r/4chan
>>
>>66109873
this post has all the makings of cringe
>>
>>66109926
>n-no u

try harder
>>
>>66109827
uh

>>66109178
>literally the same chord repeated

You just posted a picture showing three different chords. For about 3% of the song.

Look out fellow plebs, we got Mozart in the thread. Let us hang our heads in shame for questioning his extensive knowledge of music theory.
>>
>>66109953
>three different chords

k. It's the same three chords repeated. Doesn't do much to help your cause.
>>
>>66109001
underrated post
>>
>>66109953
>Sister Ray' was done as a joke

-Lou Reed
>>
>>66109952
you really don't like WLWH
>>
>>66110032
mama mia thats a spicy greentext
>>
>>66110054
7/10 at best
>>
>>66110005
Acting like you're a musical genius isn't exactly helping yours. I'm done arguing with your pretentious ass. Have fun with your plebeian tastes, you whiny bitch.
>>
Good thread lads.
>>
>>66109827
For someone who spouts the music theory card repeatedly, you sure don't seem to be able identify that Sister Ray uses 3 chords (G-F-C) not one, despite providing sheet music to back up your bullshit.
>>
>unironically not thinking I'm set free is there best song bar sister ray
>>
The chord progression in sister Ray is some of the best I've ever heard, live versions especially
>>
>>66106555
perfect, i'd swap tvu&n and wlwh though
the matrix tapes boxset is the greatest thing ever
>>
>>66110352
This is coming from someone who can't seem to understand the most basic hyperbolic language.

Of course I didn't think sister gay had only one chord, I said that to emphasize my point. It's a simplistic, garbage tune that caters to neckbeards. 3 chords isn't much better anyway. It's crescendocore garbage. Congrats on having shit taste and no knowledge of music theory bud

>>66111010
see>>66109827

Here's a song with good chord progression

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pQ0gX-fjKE
>>
>>66106555
>Live Max's Kansas City 5/10
why does everone rag on this, it's possibly my favorite vu release after having worn all the other stuff out
>>
I reay don't like TVU's fanbase. I get shit on for liking self titled and loaded. You can't deny that Yule has an amazing voice
>>
>>66112164
Self titled is my favourite too and it's definitely the most consistent
>>
>>66112164
only idiots don't like s/t and loaded
>>
>>66106555
>Quine tapes
>6/10

Bruhh
You're spot on with everything else though
>>
>>66105549
I thought Nico's songs were kinda bad at first too but they grow on you. I still kinda think she sounds wack on All Tomorrow's Parties tho...
>>
>>66111238
I wish you were a tripfag so I could filter you
>>
>>66106555
my nigga
>>
>>66112288
quadruple dubs confirm
>>
>>66112421
Yeah I agree, Nico grows on you but fuck that accent

>she builds you up to just to break you down
>what a klon
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.