[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ariel Pink Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: ecf7b7d8.jpg (92 KB, 658x329) Image search: [Google]
ecf7b7d8.jpg
92 KB, 658x329
Discuss Ariel Pink and his artistic genius.
>>
>>66084507
No.
>>
>>66084507
idk what you want to discuss op?
its pretty gud
>>
I used to give Before Today a little shit because it broke away from his lo-fi origins.

But Beverly Kills and Butthouse Blondies are both amazing.
>>
Lipstick is good
>>
Do you guys think Pom Pom is his best work, or his worst work?
>>
>>66084633
It's his magnum opus so far, but it's not my favorite of his.

House Arrest and Worn Copy are my favorites.

Scared Famous is probably his worst.
>>
>>66084633
It being "his best work" is subjective but I personally love it. He takes full advantage of a real studio on Pom Pom, not some one hundred year old tape machine. I can't wait for his next record to see how he follows up.
>>
>>66084725
He has been using more than a thrift store tape machine since before 2011.
>>
>>66084669
>>66084725
I'm conflicted on it. I think it has some of his worst songs but also some of his best. I wish he would remake some of the songs off of like House Arrest and put them on his next album like he did on Before Today.
>>
>>66084633
i don't think it's either

has there been anything on a next album?
>>
>>66084751
I know but Pom Pom feel extremely well-produced. He wasn't playing any games on this one. It's his best produced album to me. Well-written too.
>>
>>66084766
I'm
>>66084669

I don't want him to touch any album with his new recording methods except for Scared Famous, and maybe parts of Underground.

The lo-fi is the charm. I don't want him to redo anything that doesn't need to be redone.

House Arrest is genuinely perfect as it is.
>>
>>66084791
Well like half the album wasn't written by him.

I understand what you mean, in a way.
>Before Today was a serious pop endeavor, showing off to a more mainstream audience what he does, after getting signed to an actual label.
>Mature Themes is him making the album he wants, while still maintaining the expectations he gave from the last.
>Pom Pom is an actual accomplishment, not just an exhibition or a personal pleasure, but an intent to impress, bringing pretty much everyone he's worked with and admires on it (except for John Maus and R. Stevie Moore, neither of whom agree with his direction).
>>
>>66084858
Pretty much
>>
>>66084804
weren't all the drum sounds on House Arrest done with his mouth, or is that a different album?
>>
>>66084858
>neither of whom agree with his direction.
Elaborate. And neither of them contributed to pom pom
>>
so what is his best album?
>>
>>66084633
Best, one of my favourite albums
>>
>>66084923
Thought that was the Doldrums.

>>66084948
>And neither of them contributed to pom pom

That's why I said "except". John Maus has stated many times he prefers Ariel's earlier work to his newer stuff, which has caused a mild rift between them. Moore cares less but prefers lo-fi to the glossier production.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhVh1rbktYw
need moar of this tbqh

>>66084858
this
>>
>>66084991
House Arrest or Before Today IMO
>>
File: E4GyEbj.jpg (558 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
E4GyEbj.jpg
558 KB, 2000x1000
Posting this just in case anyone wants to get into his music
>>
>>66084777
He posted this on his instagram a while back but that's it:
https://www.instagram.com/p/_OlkoBNVTV/
>>
new ariel pink when????????
>>
>>66086017
nah thats been out m8
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21792-phases/
just a project he produced
>>
File: Ariel Pink Flowchart.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Ariel Pink Flowchart.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1000
>>66085993
I made that version while I was totally out of it, here's a cleaner version
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.