[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FRANK ZAPPA THREAD >Favorite album(s)? >Least favorite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 7
File: frank-zappa-music-video.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
frank-zappa-music-video.jpg
89 KB, 1280x720
FRANK ZAPPA THREAD

>Favorite album(s)?
>Least favorite album(s)?
>Favorite Track(s)?
>least favorite track(s)
>What do you think about the drama with the Zappa family?
>>
I liked the one where he made a heartfelt song that I could emotionally connect to on any level.

Oh wait, he never made that.
>>
>>66063392
Go listen to Celine Dion if you want sappy emotional songs.
>>
>>66063429
I'll listen Blind Willie Johnson or Beethoven, actually.
>>
>>66063392
Zappa's music isn't exactly about emotion though
>>
fuck this hack.
>>
AAAAH FRANKIE ZAPPA
>>
>>66063480
nice meme
>>
>>66063284
>Favorite album(s)?
In no particular order:
Hot Rats
Grand Wazoo
Waka/Jawaka
Apostrophe
Roxy
Bongo Fury
One Size Fits All
I don't know, probably something from the early-to-mid-80's.
>Favorite Track(s)?
I don't know, probably something off Roxy or One Size. I think that was when his songwriting peaked.
>least favorite track(s)
Fuck, I don't know. He has so much stuff. I don't listen to the shit I don't like.
Don't care. I saw Dweezil a few years back with Zappa Plays Zappa, and it was surprisingly great.
>>
>>66063392
If you can't connect to Watermelon In Easter Hay on an emotional level then you have no soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9DqykUsqRY
>>
>>66063733
Give me more Zappa to feel to.
>>
>>66063392
>i've never eaten the yellow snow
>>
>>66064529
Yeah, middle school humor doesn't exactly make me tear up.
>>
>>66064651
>i don't like Frank Zappa because of his sense of humor

you are REALLY missing the point
>>
>>66064734
??? not the guy you're insulting, but this is such a dumb response and I love Frank Zappa
>>
>>66064767
Explain
>>
>>66064734
I'm not missing the point at all, I'm just being upfront about the fact that I don't like the point to begin with.
>>
>>66064816
You changed what he said entirely and then used what you changed his argument into to refute his point.
>He said "I don't like this TYPE of humor"
>You said "I don't like him for being funny"
Do you see how that's different?
>>
File: were_only_in_it_for_the_money.jpg (54 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
were_only_in_it_for_the_money.jpg
54 KB, 350x350
his magnum opus
>>
zappa nerds are the fucking worst.
working at a record store and having people talk your ear off about how great zappa is and how many of his son's guitar clinics they've been to is really fucking annoying.
>>
>>66063284
>Favorite album(s)?
The Grand Wazoo
Francesco Zappa because it's creepy.
>Favorite Track(s)?
A Pound for a Brown on the Bus
>least favorite track(s)
Not sure. I don't like Sharleena.
Gail was a real bitch.
>>
>>66063392
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4c8xLZXUVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbvVZpJgJb0

Plenty of shitty sappy music on Cruisin' with Ruben & the Jets too :^)

Dunno what you want, the equivalent of someone holding a sign that says "THIS IS SAD', "THIS IS EMOTIONAL"?

The long form tracks (King Kong, Little House I Used to Live In, Brown Shoes Don't Make It) are also fairly filled with emotion (note: there are more human emotions OTHER THAN "OMG so sad :(((((((() without it being cheesy.
>>
>>66065739
Quote the post where I said I was looking for sad music.
>>
>>66065820
That's why he's asking.
>>
>>66065851
Nah, he seems to implying outright that since I'm asking for emotional music I'm asking for sad music. If he wasn't he wouldn't have written
>(note: there are more human emotions OTHER THAN "OMG so sad :(((((((()
>>
>Favorite album(s)?
Roxy and Elsewhere Joes Garage, One size fits all, You can't do that on stage series.
Thing Fish
>Favorite Track(s)?
Penguin on bondage, City of tiny lights, A token of my extreme, Inca Roads.
>least favorite track(s)
Anything from thing fish
don't care
>>
>>66063392
>listening to music for emotion

Get a load of this faggot
>>
>>66064651
>Satire and parody is middle school humor
It shows you haven't heard Zappa at all.
>>
>>66064818
No, you're missing the point because you're responding to a silly post as if it was a legitimate attempt to convey an emotional Frank Zappa song.

"Don't Eat The Yellow Snow" is the height of Zappa silliness. Nobody---not even hardcore Zappa fans---have an emotional response to that song.

You're missing the point because it was just a silly song lyric and you're feeling the need to point out that you don't tear up to middle school humor.
>>
>>66066034
>Inca Roads
My nigga.
>>
>>66066113
Is amusement an emotion? What I love about that line of songs from don't eat the yellow snow to cosmik debris is how the joke builds up trough the songs and the punch line comes up when you don't expect it, he does the same with Joe's Garage with the whole robot sex.
>>
>>66066080
I've listened to all the "canon" Zappa (well, rock canon, not Zappa-fan canon) albums besides Hot Rats (and the double live album with Lennon if that counts as rock canon). The one I enjoyed the most was Lumpy Gravy.

And yes, satire and parody are easily middle school humor. Intelligent satire and parody isn't. There's a line and Zappa doesn't seem to have crossed it.
>>
>>66066373
>I don't find it funny
>Is clearly not smart enough.

That's a middle school mindset right there.
>>
>>66066417
No, immaturity that could be found on your average Family Guy episode isn't funny.

I'm still waiting for you to quote the post where I said emotional music = sad music.
>>
>>66066445
Sadness is an emotion, therefore those songs qualify as emotional music because they are evoking an emotion on the listener.

You're also dumb. Like the average /mu/tant.
>>
>>66066498
>Sadness is an emotion, therefore those songs qualify as emotional music because they are evoking an emotion on the listener.
I never said that, that was simply my reaction to the songs which were presented to me, which happen to be sad.
>>
Let me rephrase, you were directly implying/stating that I was saying only sad music = emotional music in >>66065739 I'm asking you to show me the post where I did.
>>
>>66064951
I like this and haven't heard any other Zappa. What should I listen to next?
>>
>>66063284
>Favorite album(s)?
We're Only In It For the Money
The Man From Utopia
>Favorite Track(s)?
Peaches En Regalia
>least favorite track(s)
You Are What You Is or anything from the 80's.
Not sure.

Also, I've noticed that his 60's work sounds good while high while his late 70's-80's work doesn't sound good while high, which I think is an indication to the actual quality. It's hard not to crack up hearing Frank say "I'm completely stoned" when you're completely stoned.
>>
>>66065242
Yeah, I hate everyone who talks to me too.
>>
>>66066613
Uncle Meat
>>
You guys like George Duke?
>>
>>66066730
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzNPh-BQD24

Dukepostin
>>
>>66066613
Freak Out!
>>
>>66066696
Nice to know Zappa fans are only friends with other Zappa fans.
>>
>>66066664
Best ITT, but joe's garage sounds goddamn amazing when you're balls high
>>
My favorite album has been You Are What You Is. I've been listening to it frequently for the past year and its just the most solid well rounded in my opinion.
>>
>>66063284
>Favorite album(s)?
You Are What You Is
Lumpy Gravy
>Favorite Track(s)?
Apostrophe, We Are Not Alone
>least favorite track(s)
Lumpy Gravy
I've never really given much of a shit about the family other than having an immense amount of disgust and hatred for Dweezil who's done nothing but ride his father's coattails. Its particularly unpleasant considering Frank made his opinion on things like people covering his music, etc... very clear.
>>
>tfw I was about to start a Zappa thread myself

Serendipity, I guess.
I'm listening to Hot Rats, We're Only In It For the Money, and Freak Out.
Where should I go next? I like the jazz fusion/improv feel of Hot Rats, but I also like the song structures of his Mothers era stuff.
What are his best classical albums?

>Favorite album(s)?
Hot Rats is my shit. We're only in it for the money is coming close.
Haven't listened to enough Zappa albums yet.
>Favorite Track(s)?
Willie the Pimp, Gumbo Variations, Concentration Moon.
>least favorite track(s)
I don't like anything right now, as I've only listened to a few albums.
Meh, people want money. It's not my family.
>>
>>66069169
COOOOOOOONNNCENTRAAAAAAATION MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

OOOOOVER THE CAAMP IN THE VAAAAAALLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>66069411
I WISH I WAS BACK IN THE ALLEY
>>
>>66068838
DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE
>>
One Size
We're Only In It
Grand Wazoo
Burnt Weeny
>>
I'm more of a fan of his Mothers of Invention work, I love just about all of their stuff.

>tfw when you hear Freak Out for the first time

Can never experience that moment again..
>>
File: Anne Frank Zappa.png (155 KB, 353x340) Image search: [Google]
Anne Frank Zappa.png
155 KB, 353x340
>>
>>66063625
This for literally every answer
>>
Gail Zappa was evil.
>>
>Favorite album(s)?
Waka/Jawaka
Uncle Meat
We're Only In It For The Money
Overnite Sensation
Im not big on his 80s rock stuff'
>Favorite track(s)?
Big Swifty
What's The Ugliest Part of Your Body?
Peaches En Regalia
King Kong
Dog Breath, The Year Of The Plague
>>
>>66063392
>i have never listened to zappa
>>
>>66063284
I just found out about it. Fuck Diva and Ahmet. Dweezil is based and Moon sounds exactly like her dad when she writes.
>>
>>66075161
>Dweezil is based
You are fucking delusional, just like Dweezil is.
He is a spoiled fucking brat who's transformed his failed music career into a sideshow where he burns effigies of his father and people pay him for it.
>>
>>66075199
>transformed his failed music career into a sideshow where he burns effigies of his father and people pay him for it.
The only one delusional here is you. Zappa plays Zappa is fine.
>>
>>66075215
And that would matter if Frank hadn't made it apparent that he distains the concept of a band of musicians who play the music with him playing the music without him, decades ago when the Mothers did shows without him and again when he is quoted as saying “I don't care whether I'm remembered. As a matter of fact, there's a lot of people who would like to forget about me as soon as possible, and I'm on their side! You know? Just ... hurry up and get it over with. I do what I do because I like doing it, I do it for my amusement first, if it amuses you ... that's fine. I'm happy that you'll participate in it. But, uh, after I am dead and gone, there is no need to deal with any of this stuff, because it is not written for future generations, it is not performed for future generations. It is performed for now. Get it while it's hot, you know? That's it.”

Zappa tried to help Dweezil make a name for himself when his was young, he wasn't any fucking good at it. Now what does he do? He cries because he can't label himself by the name he forced his parents at eight years old to give him that's been making him all his money his whole life.
>>
>>66075273
there's a difference between butt-blasted former members of the mothers trying to go "hey look at us!" and his literal son doing it after he's dead
>>
>>66075297
No, there isn't.
>>
>>66063392
What is Take Your Clothes Off When You Dance?
>>
>>66075313
yeah actually there is autist
>>
>>66075342
No, there actually isn't, you spoiled stupid shit.
Dweezil is a child who never grew up, got shit handed to him on a silver fucking platter and doesn't owe a cent to himself. Everything he owns is the result of his fucking father, not himself.
>>
>>66075362
go to bed diva
>>
>>66075380
He literally recycles his dead father's material and passes it off as his own.

>Go With What You Know is a 2006 album by Dweezil Zappa. Among other tracks, the album features an alternate version of his father Frank Zappa's composition "Peaches en Regalia". The version, culled from a previously unreleased alternate edit of the Hot Rats version, features new overdubs by Dweezil.
>>
>>66075418
go to bed, diva
>>
>>66075449
Oh, and then there's his album Automatic in which Dweezil was spreading his almost non-existant talent so thin that the album included just hits as the Hawaii Five-O theme and You're A Mean One Mister Grinch! Oh, what original compositions.
>>
>>66075462
And his fabulous cameo in the movie Running Man in which he delights the audience in quoting lyrics to his father's songs.
That must've been an easy paycheck.
>>
>>66075462
>>66075512
go to bed diva
>>
File: frankzappa.jpg (15 KB, 398x261) Image search: [Google]
frankzappa.jpg
15 KB, 398x261
>music was shallow to the point of evaporating and had no legs to stand on other than being stylized and different. Except saying that it was different doesn't do it justice because his "style" could only be described as random bullshit
>not that this is inherently bad, but he also did it without any kind of charm or sense of self-awareness. It's just tacky and annoying.

>everything he produced was incredibly half-baked, lazy and aimless. I don't think even he knows where half of his albums were going or why they existed. Most of his albums were moderately interesting for the first 2 songs and then immediately delved into aimless, tacky bullshit that just existed as filler and I can't describe because they were so shallow and uninteresting I immediately forgot about them

>lyrical content almost always entailed nothing and was just meant to sound cool, and on the off-chance that it did it may as well not have because it was just embarrassing.

>the composition is often nothing short of terrible. It's disjointed, aimless, ugly and irritating to listen to. Uncle Meat consisted mostly of instrumentals and it sounds like it was made by a 5 year old

>released a staggering amount of material and managed to create virtually nothing of interest

>pseudo-intellectual child that repeatedly embarrassed himself on national television when asked to provide some kind of case for his music or commentary on the music industry

Frank Zappa was quoted as saying "Without change, progress is impossible" but missed the mark entirely by making things that were vapid beyond being different and may as well not have been.

It's fedora-core. It's just as vapid and easy to digest as the most pleb pop music there is but it has a zany, pseudo-edgy stylization for no particular reason that makes the listener feel like they're cool and different.

Not that I expect any kind of rebuttal to this. His fans are idiots with a surface-level appreciation of music.
>>
>>66075418
>He literally recycles his dead father's material and passes it off as his own.
He literally fronts a COVER band.

And that single track off Go with What You Know
is credited to his father.
>passes it off as his own
The fuck are you talking about? He has never once claimed he wrote that song.

You know, he also performed some arias from Bizet's opera Carmen, are you gong to accuse him for riding Bizet's coat tails?
>>
>>66075534
Oh and don't forget he still hasn't paid his lawyer for his divorce!
Is it because he doesn't have the money because Frank's estate finally decided to cut the cord with the little shit?
I think so. Maybe he should fucking figure out his own shit.
>>
>>66075557
lol the only one with a fedora here is you
>>
>>66075564
>are you gong to accuse him for riding Bizet's coat tails?
I don't know, did he come out of Bizet's cock?
>>
>>66063392
You probably won't find what you're looking for in Zappa's work. He often made fun of and ridiculed so called ''heartfelt'' songs.
>>
>>66075574
go to bed diva
>>
>>66065242
>Not having a local record store that's named after zappa
>>
>>66064225
Pink Napkins hits me somewhere that doesn't normally get hit.
>>
>>66063392
>>
>>66063392
silliness and snark imply mindstates too, ykno
>>
File: 34_YAWYI.jpg (135 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
34_YAWYI.jpg
135 KB, 600x600
>DIPSHIT
>DIPSHIT
>DIPSHIT
>DIPSHIT
YAWYI is pretty good
>>
>>66063392
Broken Hearts Are for Assholes
>>
>>66080348
The title track is one of his best songs
>>
>>66063392
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-nWfSJ9ab0
>>
>>66063284
>>Favorite album(s)?
Joe's Garage and Hot Rats
>>Least favorite album(s)?
Absolutely Free
>>Favorite Track(s)?
Son of Mr Green Genes, Sleeping in a jar
>>least favorite track(s)
Anything from absolutely Free
>>What do you think about the drama with the Zappa family?
Didn't know there was any
>>
>>66082166
What's wrong with Absolutely Free?
>>
>>66083404
I don't know why but I don't like it, I've listened to it multiple times and I just don't like it.
>>
>>66063284
>Favorite album(s)?
Waka flocka jawaka, Freak Out and Overnite sensation (the latter got me into Frank Zappa)
Most of the bootlegs. Thought much of Läther was filler
>Favorite Track(s)?
The Return of the Son of Monster Magnet, Who are the brain police, Montana and just the entire Waka/Jawaka.
Didn't know there was any. Don't have an opinion on the subject.
>>
File: zappa-306-1355860710.jpg (51 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
zappa-306-1355860710.jpg
51 KB, 306x306
I'm just gonna leave this here.
>>
>>66084103
He doesn't seem to be really into it
>>
File: `swagpulse.png (830 KB, 1068x798) Image search: [Google]
`swagpulse.png
830 KB, 1068x798
Got a shirt because I thought it was funny and didn't find out until months later that it's officially licensed Zappa merch. AMA
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.