[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is guitar the easiest instrument to learn?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: Steve Vai.jpg (192 KB, 1000x922) Image search: [Google]
Steve Vai.jpg
192 KB, 1000x922
Is guitar the easiest instrument to learn?
>>
>>66031212
The triangle/Tamberine
>>
>>66031212
No, triangle.
>>
Of the main rock instruments it's probably the hardest, except maybe keyboards.
>>
File: 129791361355.jpg (17 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
129791361355.jpg
17 KB, 320x320
>have double-jointed fingers
>can't play guitar because my fingers, especially my pinky, have a habit of locking up on me when i try to fret
>>
File: god.jpg (12 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
god.jpg
12 KB, 183x275
Easy to learn, hardest to master, save for a few obscure instruments.
>>
>>66032033
>Easy to learn, hardest to master
Isn't that bass guitar though?
>>
>>66032046

Yeah....totally.
>>
>>66032066
I had been taking guitar lessons for a year when I picked up my friends bass at his house, and started messing around with it. I was already better at bass within 10 minutes.
>>
>>66032066
Dude, being "good enough" at bass takes almost no skill or effort.
>>
>>66032173

Sarcasm. Bass is a vast instrument if you choose to make it that way. That aside, most people who play bass and call themselves bassists are committing travesty for what the real standard of actual musical ability is.
>>
con: the world is FLOODED, INFESTED with guitarists, and some rely only on technical ability
pro: along with the synth it's one of the most versatile sound wise, with pedals you can mold the sound and be really creative, almost no one does that though
>>
Shawn Lane, Guthrie Govan, Danny Gatton, Alan Holdsworth.

Those 4 come to mind when I think about people who transcended the instrument (guitar.)
>>
>>66032242
You're joking right?
>>
>>66032592

Yeah, I meant Tom Delonge, Billie Joe Armstrong and that dude from Avenged Sevenfold.

Who the fuck, if not those 4 in my original post, transcended it significantly more? I mean you're entitled to your opinion, but you cannot say those 4 aren't legends.
>>
>>66032629
those are only TECHNICAL wanky pseudo-intellectual guitarists with boring delivery
glenn branca, kevin shields, david pajo, even lee ranaldo are way more interesting in both sound and compositions
>>
what is a bass
or a saxophone
>>
>>66032842
those are EFFECTS wanky pseudo-intellectual guitarists with mediocre delivery
>>
>>66032842

What?

What?

LOL
>>
>>66032046
>>66032145
>>66032066
>>66032859

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnXKm-Pqqpo
>>
>>66031212
Only if you love the instrument. If you do, everything will be easy.
>>
>>66032842

I respect and enjoy most of who you listed, but to bash those I listed? What are you out of your fucking mind?

You know what your problem is? You think you know every fucking thing when you hear it. Listen to Gray Piano's Flying, Remember When (improvisation), Emotive Ballad (improvisation), Harlem Nocturne, SO many others.

Sure, add yours to the list, but seriously, stop bashing virtuoso-virtuoso's so you can bolster your own weird opinion.
>>
>>66032842
Never heard of one of those. What makes them ''better'' in your opinion than Allan Holdsworth and Shawn Lane for example?
>>
How do I start learning? Dont want to pay for lessons.
>>
>>66033024

Nothing is objectively better. He won't answer because his opinion is too sacred for him to put out there as something that isn't true.

Sorry, but if you can't hear the soul and impeccable musical delivery of a Shawn Lane song or Guthrie Improvisation, you're just maladjusted socially.
>>
>>66033042

Find why it is you want to play, and go from there. I taught myself because I only wanted to play power chords. I ended up getting a really good ear for never using tabs, sheet music, or lessons. Then I branched out by learning cheeky 1970's classic rock guitar solos, and then it just kept getting more and more and more until I'm so deep into music and guitar that I just want to get better in every way possible.
>>
>>66032998
>>66033024
>>66032955
>>66032902
we are not talking about what being a "good" guitarist means or who is the "most acomplished guitarist", we are talking about trascending the instrument, which most of no wave and experimental artists have done when making more than just playing fast, just like for example branca and his group made by making these abrasive walls of noise challenging the sounds a conventional guitar could make
>>
>>66033042
visit /gg/ and follow the OP postdump
>>
Shawn Lane could shred like no one else, but this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard: https://youtu.be/IkLSoXSQcYQ. I think we can all agree. By the way, this song is written for his sister that died in a car accident. It feels like every note is ripping pieces of your heart. Very few people can do something even close to that.
>>
>>66033166

You're right, I definitely slid away from the main focus of the word "transcend".

I'm listening to Branca and it's some incredibly immaculate stuff. It's different and unique, but honestly still rustled over the shitting on what I mentioned. Is it because they're more rooted in Jazz fusion/hard rock that makes you think they're just normies following after Hendrix and not straying from the bunch? Or was your insult rooted more in the conversation and you genuinely appreciate the likes of Govan and Holdsworth? Curious.
>>
>>66033249
I do appreciate their playing, and I exaggerated when saying they had boring delivery but in comparaison and sound-wise (not technical wise I know the ones you mentioned are really acomplished muscians) more experimental guitarists took the guitar one step further
>>
>>66033241

Exactly. He was an unbelievably talented individual. People often see a few lessons by him and just turn it off assuming he's just some shredder that worked harder at it.

No. Shawn Lane isn't particularly unrivaled in his speed, however, other people had to work immensely hard for hours on end just to reach his speed, meanwhile he's casually noodling at the same speed aforementioned bedroom guitarist worked up to.

If you combine that, with his ability to SIT BACK and not play insanely fast on his compositions, you realize people who play fast do it because it's an embellishment in itself when you choose the right notes to play fast.
>>
>>66032965
this doesn't prove shit, you are "ok" with a bass much faster than you are "ok" with a guitar.
Also if that solo proves that bass requires more skill i can literally show any guitar solo as a counter
>>
>>66033856
It wasn't to prove it's better than a guitar, just showing what you can do with it.
>>
Threadly reminder Robbie Bashoo was a guitar god and you faggots should all worship him.
>>
File: les-claypool.jpg (136 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
les-claypool.jpg
136 KB, 1000x667
>>66033901
I don't think anyone says that you cant be good with bass, at least since Les Claypool most people respect bass players much more but guitar is still harder to start up with.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.