[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
best of the dead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: LightningBoltSkull.gif (16 KB, 299x299) Image search: [Google]
LightningBoltSkull.gif
16 KB, 299x299
How the hell do you get into the Grateful Dead with their massive discography? Anyone want to share some tips from when they started out? 140 albums?!?!?!?
>>
>>66008682
Yeah, don't listen to albums. The live shows are where the real magic happened. If you want a taster though, listen to Live/Dead and Europe 72.
>>
>>66008738

Just listening to the live albums is good enough though? I can't recall ever liking a live album more than studio, for ANY band
>>
>>66008738
depends what your into desu

for entry level I usually suggest workingman's dead even though it doesn't really represent the rest of their discography
>>
>>66008859
Listen to more music. And try Dicks Picks selection of lives.
>>
Just listen to the Live at the Filmore album, it's the best place to start.
>>
>>66008901

All I know is I listened to a few songs on youtube and really liked it. Just need to know where to go from here
>>
>>66008966

I listen to a lot of music, I just almost always prefer studio over live. But I'll try it for the GD
>>
>>66008859
The Dead were mostly clueless in the studio. If you want straight country music >>66008901
and American Beauty would be worth your while but people listening to The Dead are usually more interested for the psychedelia and massive improv sections. They just played better to people than to a studio microphone.

Also, check out: https://www.reddit.com/r/gratefuldead/comments/46eus8/intro_to_listening_to_the_dead/
This guy does a great overview of their career, describes how you find shows, etc.
>>
>>66009012
well this was my favourite when i first found the dead

https://youtu.be/sJhIG8wc3Ok
>>
>>66009096

Thank you!
>>
>>66009096
Oh and because it's such an oddity, Anthem of the Sun. It's like the one studio album where they actually were onto something really interesting and playing around with things they couldn't otherwise in a live setting.
>>
>>66008682
>140 albums

90% of those are live albums. They were never very comfortable recording in the studio, they preferred playing live. And fans recorded every single show they played and traded tapes.

Europe '72 is one of their best ones, try that.
>>
Scarlet Begonias
>>
>>66008859
Just wait till you hear the Deads live stuff. I'd start with 1972.
>>
>>66009131
Np man! Hope you fall in love the way I did. Don't feel bummed if you don't like em btw. The Dead get a fierce amount of hate for all the loyal fans they have. Pic related.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.