[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will there ever be a hipster resurgence of the cassette tape
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: Tdkc60cassette.jpg (16 KB, 298x188) Image search: [Google]
Tdkc60cassette.jpg
16 KB, 298x188
Will there ever be a hipster resurgence of the cassette tape like there was with vinyl?
>>
It's already been going on for a few years now friendo
>>
Where the fuck have you been
>>
Tons of indie bands are pressing their stuff to cassettes now. Alvvays, Mac DeMarco, and a ton of midwest emo bands. Hell, even Weezer put out their last album on cassette.
>>
>>66000412
How would you press a cassette? Not much to press on really as magnetic tape doesn't need to be pressed on.
>>
>>66000476
how would you shit a post? seems like your fag ass would be too loose to post shit.
>>
Cassettes have been gaining a lot of speed but for the past decade, possibly, they have been a big part of the noise scene. There's a guy at my college who has a power electronics group and he's been releasing tapes for the past 5 years and he says he was late to the trend.
>>
>>66000588
Noise guy here, collection's over a thousand tapes.

Tape has been a continual part of several underground scenes like specific subgenres of punk and metal, but it can be argued that noise more than any other has taken it to heart and kept the medium alive over the decades. Given the widespread distribution of noise artists in the 80s/90s, combined with their smaller representation in the larger music scenes, the method of trading new audio ideas and fostering collaboration in a wide world without the ability to easily transfer digital files was by mail, on tape.
>>
>>66000354
Just wait until CD's are the newest hip throwback item.
>>
>>66000979
CD-ROMs
>>
>>66000979
They already are
>>
>>66000354
It already happened in 2008-2012

>OP is 14
>>
>>66000585
seems to fit in well in an entirely shit thread. the cassette thing has been going on for years. the OP is clueless
>>
The better question: is there something about tapes that makes them superior to CDs (if a physical copy is really needed at all) or is it just hipster posturing?
>>
>>66001438
All I can say for sure is that it's cheaper merch, which is great if you're not doing too well financially but still want something to give to your fans
>>
>>66001459
I thought CD-Rs were cheaper, and easier to make than tapes.
>>
>>66001551
They could be, I'm surr it all depends on where you look (everywhere I saw was charging a bit more for CDs than tapes so we settled on tapes in the end).
>>
>>66001551
It depends on how thrifty you are.
>>
>>66000354
>he doesn't collect harsh noise or powerviolence tapes

what's wrong with you
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.