[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>hard hitting beats >noisy songs that are undeniably catchy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 806x806) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 806x806
>hard hitting beats
>noisy songs that are undeniably catchy at their core
>surprisingly danceable
>features some of the best vocal performances of their discography
>fantastic lyricism
>that fucking ENERGY
so the people who dislike this just hate fun, right?
>>
I think the people who don't like it are probably just missing those long, aching songs that really take one idea or concept and explore them fully, a la Feels or even MPP...

I like Painting With a shitload, but you can't deny that they tried something really, really off base from what made(makes?) their band great, and it makes sense that a lot of people don't like it.

That being said, I don't get how someone can listen to the piano interlude in On Delay and say that Animal Collective has "lost it"...
>>
That or they're tame impala fans who have no clue what psych is, and are just there for the pop aspects. As far as psych pop goes, I really do feel this has to be one of the stronger releases of the decade thus far.
>>
It's really good but the vocals piss me off for some reason, like they really overdid it with the hocketing.
>>
If Golden Gal had appeared exactly as it is on MPP it would be heralded as one of animal collective's best songs

search your heart, you know it to be true

Context is everything

Shitty covers don't help either, PW and Centipede both were monumentally hurt by their cover arts IMO, and it doubly sucks for PW because the Panda and the Geo covers are beautiful
>>
>>65933845
Why the fuck did they do those covers anyway.
>>
I hate fun with all my heart, but think the album is alright
>>
It's only cool to people with aspergers that think that this type of shit is danceable, catchy, or even energetic

Prove me wrong, it's autistic-child-core
>>
>>65933845
Golden gal is one of my least favs
>>65933902
See footage from their old concerts vs now. They used to be more autistic. Their shows are full of normies now.
>>
>>65933989
>Implying normies listen to this
Anco has always been autistic, but at least they didn't make it fullon in studio. Like, wasn't dinosaurs one of the inspirations for PW
>>
I have to agree with >>65933787, AC basically made a fantastic album that is so radically different from their past albums that it caught people off guard. Most of the previously defining AC characteristics (mid tempo, deep dynamic production with lots of room and empty space, and patience) have been done away with for this record and largely in every AC related album since Tomboy in favor of something different. Painting With is probably the best of this stylistic trend and has the chops to justify the style shift.
Also, people need to see it live. It really is a mind opening experience to see the way they do it and it's great to see them having so much fun
>>
>>65934065
My mom listens to it. I was horrified when I found out. It's a real thing my dude, she goes from floridada to Rihanna to beyonce
>>
>>65934097
Jesus, must be really hard to help your autistic parent
>>
>>65934136
made me kek moderately. We're the ones on 4chan though so I think we're a little more autistic.
>>
>>65934084
>painting with is the best of this style
Agree 100%, miles better than the latest panda bear effort
>>
>>65934178
Yeah lol, I'm just fucking with you
>>
File: ankle.jpg (55 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ankle.jpg
55 KB, 1024x768
>>65933733
I fucking adore PW, but there aren't really any "noisy" songs on it...
>>65933830
I actually like the hocketing on some of the songs, mostly Hocus Pocus, Natural Selection, and Recycling.
Live shows are amazing too
If the boys release a new EP this year too, I'll be stoked
>>
>>65933787
Personally I miss the "emotional" aspect that Animal Collective's music used to have.

Painting With's songs didn't feel very emotional in any way. I mean, there are great songs there and I love the album, but it's hard to describe. It feels like they're "just" songs, that they were sort of writing & recording exercises without much thought or heart behind them.

Still like the album, but I miss that aspect of their music - it was already kind of starting to disappear by the time they made Centipede Hz.
>>
>>65934279
>no nosy tracks
The burglars? Natty select's chorus? Summing the wretch?
>>
>>65934205
I really enjoyed grim reaper at first but it really burned out quickly and is something I only return to for certain songs
So many of the best ones weren't even on the damn record which was stupid
>>
>>65933733
>hard hitting beats
where

>>65934335
>natty select
stop saying this
>>
>>65933733
>listening to a pitchfork band
>>
>>65934335
Not to be "that guy" but they have just done much noisier tracks in the past. There are lots of noises going on, but I wouldn't really call it noisy.
Also, as much as I love PW era AC, Hounds is probably my least favorite track they've EVER done
>>
>>65934279
Is that photo from this year's tour?
Avey's face is fucking amazing
>>
File: panda.jpg (161 KB, 550x864) Image search: [Google]
panda.jpg
161 KB, 550x864
>>65934507
nah, it's an older one
>>
>>65934385
Lying in the grass is worse
>>
>>65934583
Lying in the Grass is one of the best songs on the album you fucking plebeian.
>>
>>65934607
No way it drags so much and goes no where, the best song is On Delay or Recycling.
>>
>>65934583
I agree, Hounds is actually one of the better PBear tracks.

>>65933733
DESU I think this is lyrically one of their weakest releases. "Bagels for everyone...it's like we can't escape all the noise and violence" is just too much cheese for an AC song imo
>>
>>65934627
Have you actually listened to the song? It develops more than most songs on PW, the energy in the last part is great.
>>
>>65934656
LiTG is great live too, they segue into Gnip Gnop iirc, good shit
>>
>>65934521
>pic
he's cuter than i thought
>>
>>65934656
Of course I've listened to the song. I do like the end and I respect that they were trying to experiment more with the instrumentation but the song itself falls flat for me. It messes with the momentum of the album
>>
>>65934703
I just said that because the song barely repeats itself at all, it feels like it's moving forward much more than most of the other songs so to say it drags seems weird. And IMO it definitely adds to the momentum of the album, the way the energy picks up through the song leads into the high energy of the Burglars really well.
>>
>>65934353
Selfish Gene and butcher baker are incredible
>>65934371
Natty select natty select natty select
Vertical has a pretty hard beat at first. Summing the wretch too.
>>65934385
I love Hounds! Gnip gnop sucks though.
>>65934607
This
>>65934627
On delay is overrated
>>
I only find myself coming back to the last four songs on Painting With. Those ones undeniably have the youthful energy that is why I got into AnCo initially. Especially Recycling. The album is a ton better than Centipede Hz for sure. But PW still feels pretty forced.
>>
>>65934767
I don't like the tone of the song or the repeating single synth notes (the ones from the very beginning). I also think the harmonies sound a little awkward

>>65934811
On Delay is a very pretty song
>>
>>65934637
>>65933866
it's actually one of my favorite covers, the avey one at least. When they dropped floridada and the album cover I was hyped as fuck to think of a photorealistic cartoon AC music. I also thought that some of the solo tracks avey had played on tour were going to be on it
>>
>>65934826
Spilling Guts is the best song on the album for exactly the reason you provided
>>65934900
I like it, I just feel it's beginning outshines the rest of the song whereas other songs on the record impress me beginning to end
>>
Almost 4 years later, we can all agree that the last good AnCo album we got is CHZ.
>>
>>65934656
The live at the Ritz version of LiTG expands on the end so much, it's heavenly
>>
>>65934946
I get that, when i saw them live I started laughing when panda was singing "so turned on by the delay" at the end
>>
Came across as more accessible which, while not a bad thing by any means, seemed to sacrifice a deeper artistic purpose for this "fun" you speak of.

Still a very good album.

Nothing will ever live up to Spirit though
>>
Anyone else think that Deak's album was better?
>>
>>65933845
>shitty covers skew reception
This bad boy begs to differ
>>
>>65935064
Way too short but yes, it was a great fucking release.

Also hey he released this recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4n0rnaF7R0
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 319x319
>>65935141
Fuck I'm an idiot
>>
so now that we've come to the agreement that PW is breddy gud, let's rank the tracks (also the single if you want)

The Burglars > On Delay > Lying In The Grass > Vertical = Spilling Guts > Floridada > Golden Gal = Recycling > Summing The Wretch > Bagels In Kiev > Hocus Pocus >>> Natural Selection > Gnip Gnop = Hounds of Bairro

>>65935064
many people do. I thought it was kinda generic other than Footy and Golden Chords.
>>
Honestly you're giving yourself stockholm syndrome
I admire the passion you have for anco. but this isn't good
>>
>>65935435
i liked it from the first listen anon
>>
>>65935460
this
>>
>>65935064
I consider them of similar quality, but not all that comparable.
>>
I love the album, but as I've seen one anon put in on here before, AC albums normally feel like adventures and this one just plays it too safe in so many ways. A big one is that there are no instrumental sections, I don't want to be the HERE COMES THE TRIPPY PART BRO guy, but they really could have used some more playing around.
>>
>>65935585
I think it's a really subtle album, the soundscapes are just as packed as they used to be, but due to its relentless momentum, the details fly by a lot faster. It requires a really active listening to properly be appreciated.
>>
>>65935064
I think Deak's album is a lot more of what AnCo fans have come to expect. Painting With might be worse than it, but I feel like it's a lot more creative at least.
>>
>>65935585
>too safe
I find it to be sort of endearingly compact, I see how that quality can be considered safe though
>no instrumental sections
see endearingly compact, the aesthetic of the album doesn't really appropriate droning/instrumental sections
>>
>>65935585
it's better live
>>
>>65935064
not at all
pbvsgr, down there, chz, pw and slasher flicks are all better than sleep cycle imo
only post-mpp anco related album that isn't better is tomboy
>>
>>65935716
>Tomboy
>not better than PBvsGR, Down There, and CHz
wew
>>
>>65935765
>tomboy
>better than down there
in what world
>>
I enjoy this album. Not huge on Gnip Gnop/Hounds or Bagels in Kiev though at all.
>>
>>65935683
I saw it live, it definitely was.
>>
>>65934701
>than I thought
Are you fucking new
How can you even have an opinion on this band
>>
File: 1465450242392.png (685 KB, 1439x629) Image search: [Google]
1465450242392.png
685 KB, 1439x629
>>
>>65935845
>expecting a red MPP
what is this supposed to be
>>
>>65935901
I think it's supposed to be a SJ/MPP mix
>>
>>65935064
fuck off deak

>>65934507
that hat was stolen apparently :(

>>65935640
Yeah, one of the biggest criticisms is that is gets boring after so many listens but due to how dense it is I keep coming back. Really appreciate that
>>
File: FONVQWZh.jpg (192 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
FONVQWZh.jpg
192 KB, 1024x1024
>there are people who still only use one of the cover variants
baka desu senpai
>>
>>65936144
they'll release this cover on vinyl... r-right guys
>>
>>65936156
mate I made it, so they probably won't
I'd be more than willing to let them do that though, but they already put out the vinyl months ago so it's not happening
>>
File: 6294668.jpg (61 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
6294668.jpg
61 KB, 720x720
>>65936144
>using poorly made fan covers
>not using this
>>
>>65936206
that one looks pretty good too, but it doesn't have the faces and is way too low resolution
>>
>>65936144
>>65936181
this was the cover for painting with on Amazon for a while
>>
>>65936279
wait, what?
holy fuck, I'm gonna have to check the internet archive and see, that's pretty funny. I knew it showed up on google images for painting with and I've even seen it used as some people's profile pics on some sites, but that's pretty amazing if true.
>>
>>65936181
damn dude I always thought that was official art.
>>
>>65937060
nope, but from what I've seen reverse image searching it to see if what that anon said about Amazon was true it seems like a lot of places confused it for official art too. hell, fucking vice used it in their article right above the part where they asked the band why they had separate covers.
>>
Going to see these guys in Richmond, VA on Nov. 4th. What to expect? I hope they play Alvin Row and Loch Raven or something else fairly old.
>>
>>65933902
Prove yourself right shit head
>>
>>65933902
Says the child.
>>
>>65938745
They will play Alvin Row, Loch Raven, Bees and Daily Routine
>>
>>65939726
Seriously? That's the only old stuff?
>>
>>65940844
Yeah, but PW is god tier live
>>
>>65940844
that plus Gnip Gnop, Hounds of Bairro, and a cover or two if you're lucky
>>65940869
this
>>
>>65939726
>>65940844
They're going to be playing different songs by then.
>>
>>65940896
Where did you pick up fortune telling skills? Those are literally the only 4 older tracks they've played this tour.
>>
>>65940913
not him, but iirc they said they were going to add different songs on the next stretch of their tour
>>
this is a good thread

PW was really fun live but I miss the beauty of MPP/Feels/Sung Tongs. PW is so meticulously crafted and rigid, its like the polar opposite to MPP. i want Panda's dreamy coos over lazy swirly synths
>>
>>65933733

partially

or they don't grasp the parallels that the album has with cubism and other visual arts, and how they tried to make the sounds fit such styles with the scattered and "bounced" back vocals

as much as it is called "painting with", it is truly an album for visual artists
>>
>>65942003
really wish they would have taken it further sometimes though. I remember when I first saw the cover and I hadn't listened to anything from it yet I was expecting something completely insane.
>>
>>65942003
this this this

the hoketing has a pretty crazy effect sometimes, sounds exactly like cubism.

>>65933733
And serisouly, animal collectives entire discography has always reflected how open they are to different styles of music, always passed through their own filter. anyone who is saying this album is "not animal collective" or has "too much cheese for an AC record" or anything like that is an fucking idiot. The music doesn't change, regardless of who made it. Just because it got some shitty reviews doesn't mean that his was something that the guys didn't love to make. From interviews it sounds like they had a blast doing this, and Id say it shows.
>>
anyone else feel like the track list for this album makes no sense?
>>
>>65935845
>expecting the same album.
>>
>>65940869
I'm curious to see this. I saw them on their tour when CHz came out and their live mixing was so damn good.
>>
>>65944320
you should check out the two live albums then fampai, it'll give you a taste
>>65944026
how would you order it?
>>
>>65944320
The live albums are seriously great, and they're only a dollar
>>
>>65944358
1. spilling guts
2. summing the wretch
3. on delay
4. bagels in kiev
5. hocus pocus
6. vertical
7. natural selection??
8. recycling ??
9. golden gal?? (could swap these three around or put them somewhere else)
10. lying in the grass
11. the burglars
12. floridada

i didn't think all too much about this, but i just don't like the way the album seems to have a choppy flow in the first half, especially floridada into hocus pocus and vertical into lying in the grass, and then completely peters out and just meanders on the back half. floridada's bridge always felt very climactic to me and it made a great closer in one of their live albums so that's why i put it where i did.
>>
>>65933787
THIS
on delay is beautiful
>>
Where can i download this? I cant find it anywhere did they go full jew?
>>
>>65933733
PW is good and all, but it's not like the old AnCo or even related to it. I want that AnCo back ;_;
>>
>>65944557
I'm not sure how I would rearrange it, but that's pretty interesting. I feel like Floridada is more of an encore though honestly, however it would feel weird as anything other than the first or last track now that I think of it. perhaps it could be the penultimate track and Recycling could stay the closer (though at that point I feel like you may as well keep Golden Gal there instead.)
I'd probably start with Hocus Pocus -> Vertical though, and I'd also maybe even keep LitG afterwards. I feel like the opening sequence of Spilling Guts -> Summing the Wretch just wouldn't feel right at all honestly.
>>65944634
I love PW but I can sympathize
I hope that if Geo ever does some solo work he'll make Danse 2, but even if he did so some solo stuff that probably still wouldn't happen.
>>
>>65944557
No way. The only thing I'd do is swap Recycling and Golden Gal.
>>
>>65944675
where else would you put spilling guts and summing the wretch?
>>
>>65938745
Loch Raven was one of the best experiences I've had in a long time, musical or not
>>
>>65944712
I honestly have no clue. maybe in the start of the last third as a segue into The Burglars, but as I said I've never tried rearranging it myself so I don't know.
In fact, I'll try rearranging it myself and post it here when I'm done. It could even include Gnip Gnop / Hounds of Bairro (but probably not because they're honestly not nearly as good as anything else on the album.)
>>
>>65933808

they're neo psych you dingus
>>
>>65944904
>mfw other anons are starting to call people dinguses
my friendly namecalling is catching on apparently
>>
File: image.jpg (563 KB, 3721x3721) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
563 KB, 3721x3721
What dont people like about this?
>>
>>65944691
>swap a brosport tier closer for one of the more underwhelming tracks on the album
nah
>>65944792
Hounds of Bairro is fantastic
>>65944904
not that guy, but I'd say recent Animal Collective definitely falls under the psych pop category. I'd call everything up to Sung Tongs neo psych.
>>
>>65946630
I do like it. They don't like that it isn't Person Pitch

>>65945807
I thought that was from a tv show

>>65946700
>I'd call everything up to Sung Tongs neo psych
I'd say that Spirit is noise pop and Campfire Songs is Psychedelic Folk. I'm not sure what I'd call HCTI
>>
>>65939726
I had a friend who went to their show in Baltimore on May 10th, said they played Bluish and a couple songs from MPP and that was it. :(
>>
>>65947316
Bluish is the only song from MPP that they played. Tell your friend he's stupid
>>
>>65935901
Lell he expected MPP but Red. Shows the autism of anco fans
>>
>>65933733
cool album, it really grew on me
i really hated lying in the grass, natural selection, and recycling at first
>>
>>65948135
what
>>
>tfw the only AC album you've listened to is MPP.
What else should I listen to?
>>
>>65948214
Fall Be Kind
>>
>>65948218
Is that an album? Don't remember reading that in their discography.
>>
>>65948265
it's an EP
>>
>>65948278
Thanks friend
>>
>>65948214
Everything they've released

Campfire Songs and HCTI are their best though
>>
>>65948214
Fall Be Kind, then Feels, then Strawberry Jam. After that you've kind of got a taste and can pick from there.
>>
>>65933733
i think the songwriting is worse than their other stuff, there's some great moments on it but also a lot of lazy melodies and chord progressions. I think every song on mpp is better songwriting wise than anything off PW, except for golden gal maybe.
>>
panda tracks fucking suck, but avey is on point

should have been an EP

floridada
hocus pocus
vertical
the burglars
bagels in keiv
golden gal
>>
>>65949323
>he can't appreciate the genius of On Delay, Lying in the Grass, or Summing the Wretch
wew lad
>>
I honestly like their 2010's output more.

Painting With sounds like their most collaborative effort since Sung Tongs, in regards to consistency track by track.
It has that really busy song writing of Centipede Hz but somehow they simplified it so perfectly.

I think they're just too comfortable on this album for people to really appreciate it, i would merit it by the attitude they brought here.
>>
>>65934371
Golden Gal, it's heavy as fuck.
>>
>>65946630
Why is Principle Real so underrated though
>>
>>65950792
That song redefined groovy for me
>>
>>65933733
I forgot everything about this album. I can't remember a single song, I listened several times, without doing anything else. This album just disappeared from my mind. Most forgettable album ever.
>>
>>65952653
It's so fucking stupid when people complain like this. Give the record another active listening, come back and offer some valid fucking criticism if you want to be taken seriously. Anyone can claim they've forgotten an album and just call it forgettable and leave it at that, it's a not a legitimate argument at all. Your shitty memory/listening practices are not to this albums detriment.
>>
in a year people will praise painting with, its great
>>
>>65933845
Golden Gal is the worst song on the album
>>
An album that has hocus pocus, natural selection, spilling guts, and summing the wretch on it is not a "fantastic" album. It's a decent-good album that's all.
>>
>>65953737
Other than natural selection those are some of the albums best tracks
>>
summing the wretch is the only song i can stand off this album. and the disappointing thing is is that its not even a great, fully formed song.
>>
>>65933845
>PW and Centipede both were monumentally hurt by their cover arts
rubbish, Centipede was only hurt by it's songs not hitting the mark

>>65935141
>>65935234
but that's a great cover...
>>
>>65953942
>great cover
It's pretty fucking ugly m8, and I love that album
>>
>>65954056
Disagree, I think it's a stark cover which reflects the music well. It's a better cover than >>65952542 anyway.
>>
File: anco.jpg (256 KB, 1177x1157) Image search: [Google]
anco.jpg
256 KB, 1177x1157
>>
>>65954185
>this is how it feels to be pleb
I'm so sorry anon, that seems truly awful
>>
>>65933808
Wait are you saying Animal Collective are taking any amount of influence from Tame Impala? Lmao
>>
>>65954331
He's clearly saying that anyone who is too pleb to enjoy Painting With is probably a tame impala fan, you need to work on your reading comprehension skills buddy
>>
>The Burglars
>It's a song about the tax man

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>65954185
>hollinndagain
>bad
Horrible ratings
>>
>>65954588
Hollindagain is probably their weakest album desu...

Forest Gospel and Pride and Fight are good but the rest falls short desu.
>>
>it's a "if they don't like it they must just hate fun" episode
never has there been a lazier, more passive attack on critics of any art
>>
>>65954621
Those are the poppiest songs on there. Hollinndagain is one of my favorite live albums

>>65954680
You know, you should read more of the thread beyond the op. Nobody is making that argument
>>
File: pandabear9.gif (1 MB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
pandabear9.gif
1 MB, 170x170
>>65954621
>Tell it to the Mountain and Lablakely Dress fall short

:(
>>
>>65955019
>>65955019
Lablakely Dress is better on Danse Manatee.
>>
IN THE BAAAAAAAAAAACK OF
OUR OLD CAR
I THINK WE'VE GONE TOO FAR

were they referencing Painting With with this lyric?
>>
>>65955769
S T R E T C H
T
R
E
T
C
H
>>
>>65934279
> A fourth empty chair
GOD WHEN WILL DEAKIN COME BACK
>>
>>65935585
THIS so much. When my friends and I heard Banshee Beat for the first time high as fuck we all felt like it was an adventure
Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.