[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
writing black metal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 1432236627401.jpg (1 MB, 1836x2286) Image search: [Google]
1432236627401.jpg
1 MB, 1836x2286
hey /mu/ i really want to record an obscure one man black metal demo/ep, but i don't know where to start. i'm proficient with my instruments, but every time i sit down and try to write some sweet riffs, my mind goes blank and i can't think of anything worthwhile.

could you please help a beginner out, and share some tips you might have for finding inspiration? it doesn't even have to be for black metal specifically, but maybe just for writing music in general.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn8PaKAv0Ec

go to 5 minutes in
>>
if you really need teaching how to play shitty distorted tremolo notes over a constant bpm, maybe writing bm aint for you
>>
File: 1446863108793.gif (113 KB, 400x362) Image search: [Google]
1446863108793.gif
113 KB, 400x362
>>65918390
lol this is satirical i assume. don't worry though i do own a fuzz pedal.
>>
Spend a couple days in a forest in the middle of winter, that should get your writing juices flowing.
>>
Family, literally just play power chords while tremolo picking, root notes for bass, and record a drum loop and play it throughout at a constant BPM
Also don't forget to fuzz that shit up and to record with a toaster
>>
>>65918536
i already know how to do that. the problem is i don't want it to just be "shitty distorted tremolo notes over a constant bpm". i kind of wanted to make something actually good. i was more asking for ways to find good inspiration for original ideas rather than making another darkthrone clone project.
>>
File: mount2.jpg (93 KB, 670x446) Image search: [Google]
mount2.jpg
93 KB, 670x446
Honestly I'm pretty awful and have barely recorded anything, nothing that I feel comfortable posting. So maybe don't really take my advice.

The first thing I do is just play on an acoustic guitar and try to mimic and copy some songs that I enjoy and change those up and create new sounds and melodies. Then I try those out when connected to an amp as well as some distortion. If I have something that I enjoy and am satisfied with I'll record it and then layer over it drums, some more guitar (I can't afford a bass, but it isn't THAT necessary I hope) and eventually vocals. Writing lyrics is pretty difficult for me since I can't be very original and not cliché. I try to avoid lyrics about Lord of the Rings, nature, or misanthropy since it seems like it's been done about a thousand times. Usually I'll write about being sad or something, even though that's also pretty overdone. I guess the best thing I can say is to keep writing, recording, and practicing. Eventually something good will come up.
>>
>>65918315
find a piano and play randomly with about 75% white keys and 25% black keys until you play something good.

im not joking
>>
>>65918644
Most good black metal is exactly what you just described though
>>
File: 1443037457200.jpg (113 KB, 1040x911) Image search: [Google]
1443037457200.jpg
113 KB, 1040x911
>>65918666
>666
i'm trying everything that you just said verbatim.

but seriously though, thanks for the advice. it's good to hear it from someone who's actually had some experience with this. you should post your stuff. even if it's shitty, it would be reassuring to hear some other anon trying to do the same thing as me.

>>65918583
if only it was winter time:(
>>
>>65918765
trve. i guess i just don't want it to sound too generic. not that i'm going for the whole "oh look at me i'm doing unusual black metal" approach. i just want it to be a genuine artistic expression rather than playing a game of copycat.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.