[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does everyone utterly hate this album nowadays?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
Why does everyone utterly hate this album nowadays?
>>
The song Lucy in the sky with diamonds is about lsd. Think about it...
>>
>>65906989
Damn..
>>
>>65906972
Because they're idiots
>>
>>65906972
/mu/ has always been contrarian to varying degrees. Sgt. Pepper's is pretty overrated when it comes to topping 'best of all time' lists but I still love it.
>>
It's a fantastic album, but I imagine the hype of it being listed as the #1 album ever everywhere gets old.

Revolver is my choice for GOAT Beatles album.
>>
It's more pretentious than actually good, in my honest opinion. There are at least three superior Beatles albums.
>>
>>65907000
lucy

in

the

sky

with

diamonds

now look at the first letter of each word and see what it spells...
>>
>>65907130
Whoa... amazing...
>>
>>65907130
>LITSWD
how have I missed this all these years???
>>
>>65907117
Abbey road > revolver > sgt peppers = MMT > white album > rubber soul > let it be
>>
>>65906972
Because of Scruffy meme even though he gave it a 7/10.
>>
I blame Rolling Stone magazine. 10/10 album though.
>>
>>65907147
>>65907154

you are welcome my friends glad you had the smarts to figure it out ;)
>>
File: clockmed.png (669 KB, 1000x1516) Image search: [Google]
clockmed.png
669 KB, 1000x1516
>>
>>65907322
Upclock'd
>>
>>65906972
why is Magical Mystery Tour being memed so hard these last couple of months? It's almost /mu/core at this point
>>
I just straight-up don't like the concept of a pastel-colored whimsical british marching band prancing around spreading peace and love.

Seriously it's the lamest concept I've ever heard of, and every album list ever puts this shit at #1.

And I really like Revolver, Rubber Soul, and Help!.
>>
>>65907230
>Abbey Road first

This is how you spot a pleb
>>
File: image.png (187 KB, 1022x824) Image search: [Google]
image.png
187 KB, 1022x824
>>65907858
gtfo
>>
>>65907884
Well DSOTM is top 10 albums of all time. Its not like they are expert in any subject about music
>>
>>65907230
I'd put abbey road behind all of those aside from let it be but other than that decent ranking
>>
>>65907296
this
>>
File: 61G6gcrU+yL._SY355_.jpg (52 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
61G6gcrU+yL._SY355_.jpg
52 KB, 355x355
>>65906972
It's horribly derivative, overrated, and a blatant cash grab.
>>
File: neckbeard-lighter-640x533.jpg (78 KB, 640x533) Image search: [Google]
neckbeard-lighter-640x533.jpg
78 KB, 640x533
>>65908191
It's horribly derivative, overrated, and a blatant cash grab MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!

why are zappa and his fans such edgy twats
>>
>>65907302
>>65907154
>>65907147
you realise that became slang for acid BECAUSE of that song.

Theres no hidden meaning but its pretty obvious the song is about acid. Thats not a new revelation guys.
>>
>>65908491
None of those complaints are edgy though. Sgt. Peppers blatantly ripped off Phil Sector and Brian Wilson's production aesthetics, doesn't break new ground either in terms of its themes or its actual compositions, and as far as it being a cash grab well, the highly accessible, simple format of just about every track on it attests to that.
>>
I dont think Ive ever met anyone who hates sgt peps
>>
>>65908616
Pet Sounds wouldn't exist without Rubber Soul.
>>
>>65907322
Upclock
>>
>>65908654
Yes it would lool

>>>/reddit/
>>
I don't hate it, I just think it's the most overrated fucking thing in music. There are some great songs in this album.
>>
>>65908616

lol i bet your the type of guy who gets pissed when fantano gives tmr a bad review

do ypu realize the average person does not give a shit about all that?

it's just fun to listen to m8
>>
>>65908825
lol all I did was point out why those criticisms of Sgt. Pepper's aren't edgy, what does that have to do with TMR? The average person probably doesn't care about whatever book I'm reading at the moment either, but that doesn't stop me from discussing it when I'm on /lit/. This is /mu/, so I'm discussing music. "It's just fun to listen to m8" is valid and all, but it's a boring thing to say too.
>>
There's some blatant filler on this and every Beatles album which is not the standard I hold "greatest album ever" to.

It's not very psychedelic, a few tracks aside, for being heralded as this coming out part for psychedelic music honestly it's not as crazy as a lot of its contemporaries.

It's eclectic sometimes in a way that doesn't highlight the Beatles strengths as songwriters or was blatantly not within their comfort zone.

The tracks you've heard the most from Sgt. Peppers before you've ever listened to Sgt. Peppers are the best on the album.

It's still good, and I wouldn't say not to listen to it, definitely listen to Sgt. Peppers atleast once and make up your own mind
>>
File: 5176196.jpg (209 KB, 682x600) Image search: [Google]
5176196.jpg
209 KB, 682x600
>>65908910
>this whole post
>>
>>65907322
Upclocked and upchecked
>>
>>65907322
Upclock
>>
>>65906972
It would be top /mu/core if it were by any less popular artist.
>>
>>65908584
>LSD became slang for acid
na mate
>>
>>65907858
>here comes the sun
>i want you (shes so heavy)
>because
>something
>you never give me your money (or the whole medley in general)
name five revolver or sgt peppers songs better than these
>>
>>65908936
>its not very psychedelic
agreed. its kind of strange that this is the flagship psych record of the 60s. besides LSD, WYWY, and day in the life, its not that psych compared to what the doors and hendrix did in 67, its kind of just plinky baroque pop tunes,
>>
>>65909773
>Got to Get You Into My Life
>Tomorrow Never Knows
>Eleanor Rigby
>Love You To
>And Your Bird Can Sing
>>
>>65909917
>got to get you into my life
>love you to
nah senpai
>>
>>65909967
>being this contrarian
>>
>>65909917
are you saying you think love you to is a better song than something?
>>
>>65910497
Are you saying it isnt
>>
>>65910713
something is one of my favorite songs of all time without a doubt. While love you to has absolutely incredible instrumental performances and amazing production, the song as a whole doesn't resonate with me as much as something.
>>
>>65906972
just because of the brexit
>>
>>65909316
underage please go
>>
>>65909316
fuck off
>>
>>65907322
lmfao
upclocked
>>
Beatles contrarianism has reached critical mass, that's why. That album is great regardless of opinions.
>>
>>65908616
Just because it didn't invent a new genre doesn't mean it's still not a great album.
>>
It just didn't age well desu. Comparatively, Days of Future Passed and other comparable albums did.
>>
>>65906972
I'm more about their rootsy final stage now but I still fuck with "Fixing A Hole".
>>
>>65907322
upclockd
>>
>>65906972
This place and a few other places have decided to hate on it because they don't understand why this album gets so much precedence in terms of being important particularly in a retrospective view.

In a way a lot of the Sgt Peppers haters aren't wrong. The stuff like the crazy arrangements involving a wide variety of instruments and The Beatles' more artsy and trippy approach to everything isn't new especially for that decade. So in this manner, while it does have a lot of things that compile the 60s, it's not necessarily doing anything original.

BUT, what makes this album original is not what the four band members were doing, but what George Martin was doing. Martin's approach to mixing and producing this album was one of the first times we see studio trickery used in the way we see it used today particularly in how compression is done. This idea of mixing and mastering still exists and is widely used in music to this day. Other albums from the 60s did do studio trickery, but none had the influence Sgt Peppers did, and now the approach introduced on this album is a staple in a the VAST majority of music out there.

Retrospectively, what we get in this album is basically a combo of everything that in a way encapsulates the pop culture and the big music of that time, while also having techniques that almost everyone uses today (and in some cases like Rick Rubin, overuses.)
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.