[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people insist that an ok lead guitar player who played
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: cliff burton.jpg (369 KB, 945x1024) Image search: [Google]
cliff burton.jpg
369 KB, 945x1024
Why do people insist that an ok lead guitar player who played bass in a metal band is a GOAT-level bass player? He had some cool licks but just about everything he did someone did before him and better. And on top of that he was pretty sloppy - and used a ton of distortion to try and hide that.
>>
Because he died
>>
>>65895681
Pretty much yeah. Crushed by his bandmates twice.
>>
>>65895659
literally the most overrated bass player ever
>>
File: John Wetton.jpg (39 KB, 505x435) Image search: [Google]
John Wetton.jpg
39 KB, 505x435
>>65895729

>oh my god he used wah and fuzz on his bass and got cool tones !!!!!!!!! best bass player

I just want to show these people John Wetton messing around with a fuzz and a wah on his bass in King Crimson in 73-74 and absolutely knocking Cliff out of the water with his chops.
>>
>>65895659

He's good because he's sloppy, not in spite of that. Without him Metallica lost their punk rock edge.
>>
because he was the most talented member
>>
>>65895840

I fail to see how a bass player that is sloppy is good. It doesn't sound tight at all. Jason and Robert actually keep up and and make the rest of the guys sound tight and together, not all over the place.
>>
File: 2.jpg (674 KB, 646x1000) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
674 KB, 646x1000
>>65895729
Dunno if he's overrated, but he struggled to play a right note and can't hear him on the albums.
>>
His death just happened to coincide with the band's sharp decline in quality.

It's the same thing with the guy from Weezer who left after Pinkerton and formed Homie, so people think his departure is why they turned shit.

Coorelation vs causation.

With that being said Cliff was a good bass player get fucked.
>>
>>65895949
And yes I just realized Matt Sharp did not form Homie please disregard that.
>>
>>65895949

>Cliff was a good bass player get fucked

I'm not trying to imply that he's a bad bass player in the grander scheme of things. But I don't understand why he's put on such a tall pedestal.
>>
File: greg lake.jpg (61 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
greg lake.jpg
61 KB, 620x413
>>65895766

Lake did it first.
>>
>>65896010

Totally forgot about The Barbarian. Either way, whoever you put in there works. Plenty of people were experimenting with heavy distortion like that on bass before Cliff.
>>
He probably was the one who brought punk sensibilities to the band. Without him they might've leaned more towards prog or disintegrated into hard rock much earlier.

Also, being noticed as a bass player at all is abnormal. It's almost always a sign of egotism at the expense of taste, but in metal that's considered a good thing.
Thus, loud obnoxious overplaying = GOAT
>>
>>65896136
Dude came off as super reputable as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJIvp77aDzc
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.