[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best of montreal album? Gotta be SPITA for sure.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Satanic Panic in the Attic.jpg (144 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
Satanic Panic in the Attic.jpg
144 KB, 700x700
Best of montreal album? Gotta be SPITA for sure.
>>
Lysergic Bliss kicks ass
>>
Hissing Fauna BUT Skeletal Lamping is right behind it
>>
>>65886896
This for me. SPITA is 3rd after those, then probably Paralytic Stalks.
>>
>>65886896
>>65886908
Why does everyone live Hissing Fauna so much? Dont get me wrong, its a good album I just dont understand why its most peoples favorite
>>
It's a tie between Satanic Panic and Sunlandic Twins for me
Spike the Senses and Climb the Ladder are my two favorite tracks of theirs.
Aldhilis is their most underrated.
Paralyctic Stalks is going to be Barnes last good album.

>>65886997
Highest critical acclaim makes people think it's their best. Also some of the catchiest, most accessible tracks are on there.
>>
>>65886997
The first half is some of the catchiest pop music ever made, and I really like the lyrics in The Past is a Grotesque Animal. It slows down in the second half but they're all decent songs at best.
>>
>>65886645
It's Paralytic Stalks by a mile.
>>
coquelicot probably but satanic panic is very close
>>
>>65887060
>Highest critical acclaim makes people think it's their best
I don't understand this mentality. Why would you have to assume that's the reason people love it when you already know it's super catchy?
>>
>>65887089

Agreed Paralytic Stalks is his ''best'' .... closely tied with Hissing Fauna

>65886997

Everyone likes it because it was their breakout album that crossed them over into being super successful at the time.

Its also pinnacle point where the music turned super electronic and innovative and Kevin's lyricism strayed from psychedelic/twee/whimsical
to more introspective and existential / whatever.

Its a high water mark in their discography.
[personally think most of his albums are perfect though] Only exceptions are Lousy with Sylvanbriar and Aurate Gloom... plus the really really early 4 track recordings
>>
>>65886997

see

>>65887249
>>
>>65887107
Because I know retards who head straight to pitchfork when they hear of a band they don't know. They look for the highest rated and listen to it first. From then on they always associate just the one high rated album with the band. I'm sure people genuinely think this is their best, but I'm also sure there are drones who say it just because of what they read online.
>>
>>65887249
I agree with you about lousy with slyvianbriar and aureate gloom. Not kevin's best work although bassem sabry, virgilian lots and triumph of disintegration are great tracks
>>
>>65887285

Its genuinely the most flawless, catchy and cohesive work hes done. Its Kevin Barnes hitting his mark in a way that trancended every album that he did eariler. He executed Hissing Fauna so well that it he drew from the sound and style for almost every album up to Paralytic Stalks .... You would describe Of montreals earlier albums in reference to other bands (Psychedelic, Beatles-y, the kinks, elephant 6) where as hissing fauna is the point where Of montreal is most definitely "of montreal sounding"

Of course its all subjective. Just expanding on my answer here below >

>>65887249
>>
I've been digging false priest lately
>>
>>65887530
I have this weird love/hate relationship with false priest. It's very funky at times which I like and famine affair and hydra fancies are amazing songs
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.