[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I become good at writing melodies and making drum patterns?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1466658794358.jpg (101 KB, 640x650) Image search: [Google]
1466658794358.jpg
101 KB, 640x650
How do I become good at writing melodies and making drum patterns? Would learning how to play the piano be helpful? Yes? Thanks to all.
>>
1. listen to as much GOOD music as you can.

2. Just write something. It WILL be shit the first few times but if you learn from your mistakes and try harder you will get better.

3. Learning any instrument will help because playing music helps you think in a musical mindset when composing.
>>
>>65875241
Yes, learn piano. Listen to Latin and African music for great drum patterns
>>
Learn music theory up to the point of knowing how to transpose what you are hearing in your head to a daw of your choice/paper
>>
Just fucking write bro. Write until you get gud.
>>
>>65875241
Learning to play the piano will not help you make up good melodies, its easier on a guitar for example because its tuned in 4ths (and a 3rd). The piano will help you picture the full components of a song better perhaps, but no significant fains can me made unless you're very good. For simple songwriting however it is good to know some piano.
Regarding melodies....its more about the rhythm than the pitches. Some songs are even recognizable by almost everyone simply by their distinctive rhythm. Drum patterns....idk just listen to lots of prog rock, funk, and jazz rock
>>
Thanks for the advice everyone!
>>
The most important thing is to write what you know and like. For you aren't happy with it then who is going to be.
>>
everyone here is retarded, if you learn piano you will become great with most musical things
>>
>>65875773
>if you learn piano you will become great with most musical things
So, if I learn how to play the piano, I'll be able to play the saxophone? And even the drums?!
Without ever touching either instrument, just the piano.
>>
What I do is wait until I'm about to fall asleep; my mind goes crazy and comes up with ideas at complete random, with no influence from anything.
Then I jolt myself awake and write it down

This is unironically how I get my best Ideas. That and when I get stoned. inb4 memes
>>
>>65875871
you will understand and be able to learn most instruments, of course you wont automatically be able to play anythingi play drums and piano. not great at piano but ive been playing drums a long time if this means anything. piano involves every aspect of music. if you learn properly you will do great things
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.