[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Be honest, is this album a disappointment? I listened to "When
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: swans-the-glowing-man-560x560.jpg (59 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
swans-the-glowing-man-560x560.jpg
59 KB, 560x560
Be honest, is this album a disappointment? I listened to "When Will I Return?" a few times but it genuinely isn't good. Should I waste 2 hours or will I be pleasantly surprised?
>>
yeah i mean 15:36
>>
>>65811027
I listened to the first 5 tracks and found it boring after liking their last two albums. Frankie M is also much better slowed down.
>>
Link plz
>>
>>65811055
Thanks, very helpful
>>
>>65811724
Really?
>>
>>65811027
I enjoy it, cause it's like the previous two, but resonates more with 90's Swans like White Light From The Mouth of Infinity. I recognize its flaws though. A lot of the songs build up to something that could be great, but just finish in the end. For example, the revving guitar that starts with the end of Okkyung Lee's peice at the beginning of The Cloud of Unknowing and makes me go insane every time I hear it, but then goes into a groove that, while seductively hypnotic, it really kills the build up. Same thing happens in The World Looks Black, where it seems to end mid-buildup. It definitely leaves things to be desired, but doesn't detract from its other beautiful moments. Particularly those droning, I love you this much-sequel chants in The Glowing Man. Actually, I've yet to find a flaw in that song at all.
>inb4 reused Bring The Sun Peice.
Bring the Sun was always intrinsic to that song, so fuck off.
>>
>>65811734
Yes, because I really enjoyed their last two albums, so I'm leaning on you being correct on this new album
>>65811999
But this is a good response too
>>
>>65811999
>I love you this much-sequel
Meant to say "-esque"
>>
15:36 ruined the album for me
>>
I am a huge Swans fan and I was a little disappointed. I really enjoyed it but it didn't come close to TBK or the Seer. I think the problem was that there was nothing surprising or weird. It sounded like one of the recent live albums, and didn't bring anything new to the table.

That said the instrumentation was top-notch.
>>
9/10, what a disappointment
>>
>>65811027
It's a dissapointment. The title track is fuckin' excellent and I really like the first track as well, but the whole album just feels like a re-hash of To Be Kind. In fact, the title track literally contains a section that is ripped straight from "Bring the Sun" because that's the way the song came about.

It's not bad, if you liked To Be Kind you'll probably like this one as well, but just expect it not to be nearly as good.
>>
>>65812261
What are you on about?
>>
>Listening to artists that condone rape
>>
>>65812803
Might be a small production mistake in Frankie M but it could also be intentional, either way it's turned into a meme because people here can't in2 real criticism.
>>
It's not as good as the last two, and When Will I Return? isnt good but it's still fucking awesome for the most part
>>
>>65812867
I literally never noticed, are people here that autistic?
>>
>>65812931
Take a guess
>>
Thought it was more influenced by their previous post-punk/goth-rock phase and was slower and more thoughtful. Didn't have the insanely satisfying and cathartic crescendo's that the previous two records had, or at least didn't utilize them as much; I thought it focused more on drones and immersive songs with more depressed moods and that the best parts of the album were the songs slowly building on themselves, rather than building UP to a post-rock crescendo.

You can see this clearly on the opening track which deviates completely from stuff like Lunacy and Screen Shot, instead of beating you over the head it floats by in a hazy cloud. Not sure where it "fits" in with the other two or even if I'm interested in a ranking, but I liked it a lot.
>>
>>65812919
My favourite parts are Cloud of Forgetting, the title track, and how well Finally, Peace ends the whole album.
>>
>>65813044
Same, I think The Glowing Man, Cloud of Forgetting and Frankie M are all excellent
>>
15:36 tho srsly
>>
Seer>TGM>>>TBK
>>
>>65812867
>real criticism
not understanding what a cymbal mute is =/= real criticism
>>
>>65812803
Long story short, once upon a time someone pointed it out (I won't say what it is because I don't even fucking know) and now everyone refers to it because it's so much easier to say a time stamp and a song title than actually having to construct legitimate criticism.
>>
>>65812994
I agree with this guy! I liked it a lot and don't think it was any worse than the last two. It was different, but I almost enjoyed it more.
>>
>>65813172
It's not a cymbal mute you fucking idiot it's a mixing error.
>>
>>65813666
>everything breaks down intentionally to just strummed guitar and a synth line
>must be an error
How many albums have you mixed?
>>
I like it

only skip for me is People Like Us but it's growing on me
>>
>>65813697
One more than you actually.
>>
Has anyone else not received their copy of the record yet? I preordered it when I got The Gate. No shipping notification yet. Emailed Young God and they haven't replied.
>>
It's been a long time since I've listened to mid-Swans. If Finally, Peace is one of my favourite tracks from TGM, which album should I check out to get more of that sound?
>>
>>65814100
Just got mine in the mail today, though i did receive an email notification with it. Also, I "pre-ordered" mainly for gira's signature and the man's name is nowhere to be found
>>
File: 1465382803354.jpg (251 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1465382803354.jpg
251 KB, 1024x1024
>>65814100
I just got my confirmation today, I doubt I'm going to get the signature which is a damn shame.
>>
>>65814616
>>65814100
>not just waiting to see them live and getting it signed in person
>>
>>65814836
That's not the point, I should be getting what I pay for.
>>
>>65814111
great annihalator
>>
>>65813939
Oh about 101?

Doubtful if you think its an error
>>
>>65814111
White Light
Love of Life
Great Annihilator

you'll love the title track from Love of Life for fucking sure, anyway
>>
File: Checkmahdubs.jpg (22 KB, 472x472) Image search: [Google]
Checkmahdubs.jpg
22 KB, 472x472
>>65814111
TRIPS
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.