[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In theory, metal is today's real rock and roll--the music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 11
File: christgau1med.jpg (18 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18 KB, 400x266
In theory, metal is today's real rock and roll--the music of the people. It's basic, it's rude, kids love it, parents hate it. But the closer you look, the stupider and more delusory it seems. Metal isn't basic--it cultivates a pseudo-virtuosity that negates content. The dreams it promulgates are usually foolish and often destructive. Eighty per cent of the "people" who like it are male, and 98% of them are white.
>>
i'm not gonna bother checking if thid is a real quote or not
>>
>>65808071
This mildly scratches the metalhead.
>>
It's true desu
Metal promises "complexity" but delivers none of it
It's vapid wank with nothing of substance.
>>
>>65808116
dumb tripcunt
>>
>>65808269
How am I wrong?
>>
>>65808091
It is.

http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/vr/decline-118.php
>>
>>65808296
>Metal promises "complexity"
That's where you're wrong. In your attempt to bash an entire genre, you make an incorrect assumption.
>>
>dismissing an entire genre
Why do people listen to this dude again?
>>
Nonw of that is theoretical (in the musical sense)
>>
>the greatest metal album of all time
>it's the violent delusions of a bellowing macho cuckold

You don't say.
>>
>>65808116
metalfags promise complexity. not metal.
>>
>>65808071
it's trap now.
>>
>>65808573
What do you mean?
>>
>>65808071
He's 100% right
>>
Christgau is an old fucker who grew up in the 50s and he thinks all rock songs should sound like Rock Around The Clock. That's his problem; he has an extremely limited idea of what the genre can be.
>>
>>65808296
>No metal is complex hurr durr
>HOW AM I WROONG!!??

shut the fuck up and listen to voivod
>>
>>65808071
He's got some fair points. I don't know why he writes in that ridiculous style though. Promulgates? Was this to prove that Rock music critics were just as intelligent and "serious" as any sort of "high-art" critic?

Whatever he's old now.
>>
>>65808919
Trap's the music of the people. It's basic, it's rude, kids love it, parents hate it. But the closer you look, the stupider and more delusory it seems.
>>
>>65808116
Yeah there has never been a Metal band with complex music or arrangements. Good job faggot.
>>
>>65809984
Correct.
>>
>>65809947
>Whatever he's old now
He was only in his 40s when he wrote that.
>>
>>65810008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVSQnsuTs-g
>>
>Eighty per cent of the "people" who like it are male, and 98% of them are white.

it's cringe shit like this that i wish christgau would leave out of his work. one, it's completely baseless speculation, and two, it's stereotypical, blatantly insinuating that people of ethnic minorities just don't listen to metal

>>65808116
the genre as a whole doesn't promise anything. some musicians might say their music is, but that doesn't somehow group them all into the "vapid/pretentious" category
>>
>>65809819
Voivod fits pretty neatly into Christgau's point
>>
>>65808071
I agree for the most part, but he's irrelevant tbhonesto familia
>>
>>65810033
How is AAL complex?
>>
>>65810015
>only in his 40s
>ONLY
Oldfag plz go
>>
Name one metal song that's not edgy bullshit or appeals to 13 year olds. You can't.
>>
>>65810046
>the music of the people
No
>It's basic
No
>kids love it, parents hate it
No
>But the closer you look, the stupider and more delusory it seems
No
>it cultivates a pseudo-virtuosity that negates content
No
>The dreams it promulgates are usually foolish and often destructive
No
>Eighty per cent of the "people" who like it are male, and 98% of them are white
Probably, but this isn't a bad thing

also LMAO at the quotation marks around people
>>
metal is huge among latin americans
>>
>>65810086
Doesn't old age start at 60+?
>>
>>65808116
I assume you've already heard Maudlin and it wasnt complex enough for you?
>>
>>65810082
Guitar and drum parts are complex and difficult to play, they regularly use difficult rhythms, chord changes, progressions, and riffs.
>>
>>65810033
and here we see the hilarious outcome of the pernicious trend Christgau saw in the '80s

shredfags must be the biggest pseuds in all of music
>>
>>65810129
Correct.
>>65810133
>difficult to play
That's not complexity, that technical difficulty.
What about them is complex?
When I think complex, I think of different things.
This is complex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOd0o969C2Y
This too is complex: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w95RRpnk8iI

How is AAL complex?
>>
>>65810124
He's 13. To a 13 year old, 30 is elderly.
>>
>>65810161
OK that Autechre isn't very complex.
I really mean this one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdO9SzDd3OU&list=PL2A5872E744FE7F05&index=3
>>
>>65808508
Don't disrespect the dead.
>>
>>65810161
metal fans are usually not very intelligent, they have a different definition of complex. A LOT OF STUFF = complex
>>
>>65810033
Me and my friends enjoyed this, but we analyzed it and the majority of their stuff is just pentatonic riffing more or less. Also, they use fucking backing tracks.
>>
>>65810124
>>65810086
>>65810015
Christgau has been shitting on metal since Black Sabbath S/T which came out when he was only 27.
>>
>>65810033
>Dream Theater for hipsters
>>
>>65810033
>muh technical skill

it's not complexity. it's just technical skill. 2bh every aal song just sounds like guitar masturbation
>>
>>65810145
I don't even like AAL whatsoever or tech-metal at all, it's just an example of "complex" metal.

>>65810161
You're just moving the goalposts, AAL are hugely technically complex in the dictionary definition of the word. As defined by the dictionary, complex means
>a group of things that are connected in complicated ways
AAL meets this criteria clearly. Not to say that that particular Boulez piece is less complex than the AAL song, but to nitpick between complexity and technical difficulty is ultimately pointless because mechanically these words are referring to the same general concept.

>This song is complex
>No, it's just technically difficult!
It's a pointless distinction, sorry.
>>
>>65810281
Where did you study music?
>>
>>65808071
>ersatz shit
Never Forget
>>
>>65810270
>>65810269
>>65810229
Okay, then here's another complex piece that's fundamentally different to AAL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Cro2yxRjw
>>
>>65810326
How is it complex?
>>
>>65810281
>It's a pointless distinction, sorry
It is not. You could play a C major scale at 1000bpm, it would be very difficult but not complex at all.
>>
>>65810326
"lets write a dumb metal song and leave out random notes"
>>
>>65810342
It's compositionally utilizing angular and atonal guitar lines against polyrhythms.
>>
>>65810348
Fair point, but I think you could at least concede that there is some metal that isn't solely dedicated to playing scales incredibly quickly but is complex in other ways?
>>
>>65810252
That doesn't prove anything. Your ability to digest new music completely disappears by that age Most of the critics didn't like BS back then because they were all about Christgau's age (late 20s) and already had a preconceived notion that the Beatles were the final word in rock and didn't accept anything after 1969. Actual kids at the time though ate the stuff up like Valiums.

"A man has gotten all the ideas he will ever have by the age of 25. He cannot learn anything new."

-- William James
>>
I'd say human immunodeficient turbo folk bass is the music of the people. It's basic, it's rude, kids love it, parents hate it. But the closer you look, the stupider and more delusory it seems.
>>
>>65810397
there sure is
>>
>>65810384
It's not atonal, it's explicitly linked to Eb.
The rhythms are complex though.
>>
>>65810408
lol
>>
>>65810348
>>65810342
What makes music complex? I don't know music theories and am just a listener. Can you summarize what makes music complex?
>>
>>65810444
>The rhythms are complex though.
complex or random?
>>
>>65810384
>>65810444
That being said, there's nothing new or earthshattering in this music. If I want that rhythmic activity, I can turn on music from 100 years ago.
>>
>>65810296
don't start with this egotist bullshit. argue with his point or don't

>>65810326
>entry-level accessible metal

listen up my boy
if you want to argue about complexity in metal you're going to have to better
you are, again, mistaking technical skill for complexity
>>
If you don't think the Gorguts is complex, then effectively you don't think this is complex either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZtWAqc3qyk

(Boulez would agree with you, but I don't necessarily)
>>
>>65810462
in the literal sense, random is the most complex thing there is
>>
I don't understand why so many mealfags are obsessed with the "artistic legitimacy" of their genre. I listen to metal when I don't give a shit about any of that stuff.
>>
>>65810464
>If I want that rhythmic activity, I can turn on music from 100 years ago.
that goes for all popular music
>>
>>65810480
>don't start with this egotist bullshit. argue with his point or don't
He fundamentally does not understand what complexity in music is.
>>
>>65810504
Right, but most popular music isn't promising or claiming complexity. That's Metal's argument.
>>
>>65810492
>I don't understand why so many mealfags are obsessed with the "artistic legitimacy" of their genre.
They need something to hold on. Stupid people need that.
>>
>>65810444
Actually you're incorrect, it's in C sharp.
>>
>>65810587
Check your pitch training m8, it's pretty off.
>>
>>65810540
I don't understand how you can even listen to anything where the vocalist is pretending to be a spooky demon and then go on the internet to argue about how it's fine art. The new wave of hipster metal has the same problem.

One thing I like about Christgau is that he is determined to find ways to appreciate popular music that don't involve bending over for music academia
>>
>>65810408
This. It's like that critic in Almost Famous who tells the kid it's too bad he missed out on the Rock era and it was just the mid 70s. All the old fags back in those days wanted to believe they experienced the real deal and everything that came after was nothing.

Little did they know it would take until 2012 or so for Rock music to finally completely die.
>>
File: 1465235975244.jpg (12 KB, 480x358) Image search: [Google]
1465235975244.jpg
12 KB, 480x358
>>65811358
Rock's not dead
>>
Christgau's an annoying, condescending, dismissive guy, but he's nowhere near as bad as Scruffy, so I have to give him a pass on pretty much everything.
>>
>>65812418
Scaruffi actually has good taste and knows music theory, unlike Christgau.
>>
>>65810044
>it's cringe shit like this that i wish christgau would leave out of his work. one, it's completely baseless speculation, and two, it's stereotypical, blatantly insinuating that people of ethnic minorities just don't listen to metal
Didn't he write that in 1988?
>>
>>65808331
He's kinda right you know. Instrumentally, it's complex yes, but I feel like the "metal" formula is overdone af. I do enjoy metal as a whole but I can't help but see a lot of similarities and stereotypes.
>>
>>65810408
This isn't true. A lot of guys did tune out of music in the late 70s but remember that Neil Young was going around with Sex Pistols T-shirts.
>>
>>65812439
Scruffy has fucking terrible taste. His favorite fucking band is Type O Negative.

Besides, Christgau does get some brownie points for being ahead of the curve on a lot of the more experimental, artsy punk bands that would later become massively influential, like DNA
>>
>>65812497
>Besides, Christgau does get some brownie points for being ahead of the curve on a lot of the more experimental, artsy punk bands that would later become massively influential, like DNA
Also he was ahead of the curve on hip-hop and was endorsing rappers in the 80s when it was still an underground thing in the New York 'hoods.
>>
>>65810044
>it's cringe shit like this that i wish christgau would leave out of his work. one, it's completely baseless speculation, and two

It's dumb but he wrote for the Village Voice so it was kind of obligatory to use the "anything negative must be the product of straight CIS males" schtick.

The VV was DailyKos before DailyKos.
>>
>>65808305
I think it's important to note that he wrote this review in 1988, in reference to a documentary about the LA glam metal scene. The entire essay is basically a criticism of that scene alone. Consider that most of the really great artistic innovation in metal didn't happen until the 90s. There were some really innovative bands in Europe at the time like Napalm Death, Bathory, and Celtic Frost, but I doubt Christgau, an American punk enthusiast, had any awareness of them. The only great thing that was happening in American metal at the time was thrash, and for every great American thrash band like Megadeth or Cro-Mags, there was a number of awful ones.
>>
>>65812586
No critics at that time knew anything outside of Anglo countries. There was some phenomenal stuff going on in Europe, South America, and Japan, but nobody here ever knew about. In those pre-Internet days, most critics had no access to anything beyond major label releases unless it was a local underground act, which is how Christgau and others all jumped on the Ramones' nuts when 98% of the country had never heard of them (Ramones S/T sold about 1000 copies).
>>
>>65812586
>I think it's important to note that he wrote this review in 1988, in reference to a documentary about the LA glam metal scene.
Then in that case it's definitely spot on. The Glam Metal scene DID promise virtuosity and delievered next to nothing. Every guitarst was trying to be the next Van Halen and yet could only employ a few of his most obvious tricks. Sure some of them could solo well but even then it was just simple power chord based songs under a typical Pop-song structure.
>>
>>65810408
>>65811358
You guys aren't getting it. What most of the rock journalists in the 70s _didn't_ like was the overbloated prog epics and California hippie triple albums. Yes, they did like 50s rock-and-roll b/c childhood nostalgia and punk came along as a welcome relief to many. Punk promised a return to the halcyon days of Elvis and Little Richard.
>>
>>65812670
Though Christgau was never a fan of Van Halen anyway. He rated 1984 a B+ and the rest were B- and lower.
>>
>>65812670
>>65812586
Note the other important piece of his column.

"L.A.'s atypically glam scene is where the hot American metal bands hail from these days, but that's a new development--of the six elder statesmen who volunteer their tarnished wisdom, only Alice Cooper got his start in the showbiz capital. Maybe that's why the old guys make so much more sense than the young ambition addicts whose mercifully truncated music is the film's ostensible subject. More likely it's that they're successful enough to have turned into elder statesmen and smart enough to have succeeded. This movie bombed because it got panned in metal's word-of-mouth underground. Nonfans will learn a lot from it."

He does acknowledge that the old guard from the 70s like Ozzy and Alice Cooper were more legit than the bandwagoning phonies like Poison.
>>
>>65812786
Uh...yeah. Ozzy, Alice Cooper, and Gene Simmons were just trying to create fun, interesting music. Poison and W.A.S.P were a couple of scrubs signed by a record label and told to sound like Black Sabbath, Kiss, and Van Halen without understanding how their music worked or the influences behind it.
>>
Most of those hair metal bands were completely boring and all their songs were exactly the same.

>power ballad
>squeal guitar rocker

All with the same exact songwriting and chord progressions.
>>
>>65812439
>and knows music theory, unlike Christgau

"As much as I love jazz, I've avoided writing extensively about it due to my comparative lack of knowledge on composition."
>>
if there's one thing you can conclude from op's word salad, it's that he hasn't listened critically to any decent metal before
>>
>>65813332
For a start, you're retarded, read the fucking thread.
For a second, there is no second.
>>
>>65812920
So same with Puddle of Mudd and the other shitty post grunge bands.
>>
Christgau liked Motorhead, which is sufficient evidence that he understood and appreciated the good parts of metal
>>
>>65812586
thanks for the context, because I was about to discount the quote and didn't realize that by "metal" that he was actually referring to 80s glam
>>
>>65808071
>Eighty per cent of the "people" who like it are male, and 98% of them are white.
How much of a self loathing faggot to you have to be to write things like this when you are a white man yourself?
>>
>>65813817
that was when being a self-loathing faggot was the "in" thing, now it's kind of like being a creationist, I give about a year until white guilt is completely destroyed
>>
Hes such a hack
>>
>Metal can't be complex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utqWrkVEQvI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz4TkW7Q_GE
>>
>>65814166
pls stop embarrassing us
>>
>>65814252
>Atheist
>embarassing in any way
It's the apex of the genre, lad
>>
>>65814411
>apex of the genre
and with those words we knew him a moron.
>>
>>65814458
Please post something that comes close then
>>
>>65814411
you're the embarrassment
>>
File: 1443243742057.jpg (48 KB, 960x692) Image search: [Google]
1443243742057.jpg
48 KB, 960x692
>>65814126
>"He's such a hack"
>coming from Montie
>>
>>65814516
>he actually believes there is such a thing as an apex of a genre
wew
>>
>>65814572
>Still no examples
>>
>>65814625
>can't give examples of something that doesn't exist
>>
>>65814646
>My favorite bands suck
>>
>>65814668
I'm glad you can finally admit it
:^)
>>
>>65811841
>Rock's not dead

It is, and you all killed it.
>>
File: Quality posting.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Quality posting.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>65814682
>I don't know how greentext works
Enjoy your stay newfriend
>>
>>65814722
>unironically using newfriend
wew, this is getting interesting
>>
>>65814760
>unironically using wew
wew lad
>>
>>65814779
>wew
>unironic
>succ
>>
>>65814835
>merely pretending
>>
>>65814875
>referencing le reddito comic
>>>/s4s/
>>
>>65814918
>knowing when a comic is from reddit
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>65814964
>not recognising the enemy
>>
>>65815015
>caring about other sites
>>
>>65810117
THIS

have you guys EVER visited a metal bands facebook, or any metal song/album on youtube? There is a fuck ton of latin americans who love metal
>>
>>65815090
Do they make the stuff as well or just like it? Never heard a latin american metal band as far as I know
>>
>>65808116
>Metal promises "complexity" but delivers none of it
What is gorguts
Are you even trying?
>>
Speaking as someone who was raised in a household of metalheads and began delving into various subgenres at the supple age of whatever-the-fuck-I-was-in-third-grade, I can say that this is almost exclusively rooted in stereotype. Really, you need to define "metal" before you can talk shit about it like this guy; if we're talking like metalcore or some gay shit, I agree fullheartedly. If we're talking, say, atmospheric black metal, literally every one of his points can be refuted. Not many people actually listen to real metal, like straight thrash or death; plus, every concert I have been to was literally nothing but adults except one or two people (Once I saw a kid with a Bathory backpatch, had to shed a man tear). Listen to something like Summoning and you can already tell that it is relatively complex in its arrangements. Considering that nearly all of their lyrics are about Lord of the Rings or other fantasy works, I would barely consider their themes to be destructive or foolish. And finally, I definitely agree with the mostly male part, but definitely not only white. I've seen people of all walks of life at shows. Whoever OP was quoting just proved not that metal is for fags, but that it's easy to label an entire genre of music based on a few common misconceptions
>>
>>65808071
Christgau should've gotten into cock sucking instead of music reviewing. I'd like him a lot more.
>>
>>65815119
they make awesome and extremely ignorant death and black metal
>>
>>65815119
Sepultura

Beneath the Remains is a GOAT thrash metal album
>>
File: fedora.png (51 KB, 370x370) Image search: [Google]
fedora.png
51 KB, 370x370
>metal
>>
>>65815141
>ignorant death and black metal
sounds pretty great desu, so many black metal bands are tied up in either sticking tight to the "traditions" or obsessed with breaking them
>>65815168
thanks mate
>>
>>65808071
This quote is almost as retarded as an actual Christgau review. Almost.
>>
>>65815119
Yeah. Outside of the local scenes and >>65815141 there's the pretty famous huehue bands Sepultura and Angra. Chilean Pentagram, though not as huge, still was pretty famous.
>>
>>65815181
>so many black metal bands are tied up in either sticking tight to the "traditions" or obsessed with breaking them

you're preaching to the choir man
>>
self-hating white faggot. nothing to see here
>>
>>65815090
do black people like the metal though

it's something i've always wondered
>>
why won't christgau leave people be
>>
>>65815255
Ever seen those nigerian metalheads? I think it's safe to say there are regional scenes.

I remember some people talking about african tribal inspired black metal with drums and shit, back in the /nbbmn/ threads, but I don't think anyone found any.
>>
>>65815255
oh yeah, middle class black/hispanic kids and even lower class kids who don't fit in love it. anime, dr. who, metal, MMOs, everything that's seen as stereotypically 'white.' in a lower class hispanic/black neighborhood you can get your ass kicked for listening to the wrong music so this faggot kike criticizing metal fans as being 'white' shows how little intellectuals actually know about race because they've only lived in white neighborhoods. as minorities gain a little economic status their tastes broaden out
>>
>>65815255
there is a huge local metal scene in africa man. search up youtube
>>
>>65809950
Are you talking about EDM trap or trap hip-hop?

If you're talking about EDM no one even listens to that shit anymore.

If you're talking about trap hip-hop, you don't need to look closely at it to realize that it's stupid, and it doesn't promise complexity.
>>
eighty percent male is way too fucking generous tbqh. maybe for metallica or some shit but go to any show beyond that and it's almost exclusively men, dykes, and a few girlfriends who've been dragged along. what remains is maybe 2% genuine women who like metal of their own volition, altho they will all (and I mean all) be social freaks - either hopelessly fat, hopelessly ugly, or hopelessly weird (and usually a combination of the 3)

of course, what isn't mentioned is that this applies to other forms of 'extreme' rock music too. it's not like a drive like jehu concert would've been swimming with pussy. the only reason metal gets singled out is because it's for lame nerds, rather than cool hipsters
>>
>>65815427
>the only reason metal gets singled out is because it's for lame nerds, rather than cool hipsters
I really hope it stays that way
>>
>>65815472
>>65815427
Agreed. Metal has dropped out of favour again, hopefully forever.
>>
>>65815300
>>65815342
That's pretty cool lads, the potential to merge black metal with African tribal drums and shit is probably fucking incredible. Will give a look for some of that.

>>65815328
I completely agree, I honestly feel bad for some black folks in America when you hear from both black and white people about what's white and what isn't, it's probably fucking disheartening, or at least irritating.
>>
>>65815516
Are you saying this as somebody who hates metal and wants it to fall out of favor, or are you a fan who doesn't like it being introduced to the mainstream media?
>>
>>65815564
A fan who doesn't like it being introduced to mainstream media.
Not saying it would destroy the genre or anything, it's just easier not to have people almost into the genre so you don't start a conversation with them about it only to discover you're massively more/deeper into it than them. It just makes things awkward. Happens a fair amount to me with /tg/ stuff, people start talking about RPGs, by which they mean DnD, and I mention less mainstream stuff and get labeled as the weird nerdy guy.

Plus mainstream media tends to produce a load of bland shit, which would be vaguely upsetting I guess.
>>
>>65815675
>start a conversation with them about it only to discover you're massively more/deeper into it than them.

iktf
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>65815398
>tfw no one listens to EDM trap anymore
>>
>>65813743
He also liked ZZ Top, so...meh.
>>
>>65815427
>what remains is maybe 2% genuine women who like metal of their own volition, altho they will all (and I mean all) be social freaks - either hopelessly fat, hopelessly ugly, or hopelessly weird (and usually a combination of the 3)

That's my sister in a nutshell. Not fat or ugly, but definitely a little weird.
>>
>>65816691
that's because ZZ Top is fucking awesome
>>
>>65816735
He said ZZ Top were "metal that didn't forget that rock-and-roll came from the blues" so draw your own conclusions. Basically, he's never been able to digest anything with sci fi or fantasy lyrics, but ZZ Top and Motorhead were pretty much grounded in realism.
>>
He's right. Punk as a strong, culturally significant movement was too short-lived to replace rock, and metal flailed on arrival because its ethos was too varied and its ideas too hard to follow. Everybody knows rap is sentimentally the new rock whether you want to believe it or not.
>>
File: a3525078589_10.jpg (524 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a3525078589_10.jpg
524 KB, 1200x1200
>pseudo-virtuisity
i'm just gonna leave this here
https://indricothere.bandcamp.com/album/iii
>>
>>65816929
>Everybody knows rap is sentimentally the new rock whether you want to believe it or not

"Hip-hop is the only vital form of music to have come along since punk rock."

-- Kurt Cobain
>>
>>65808071
T. filthy marxist jew
>>
>>65816817
Christgau didn't like Pantera though and they're completely grounded in realism except for a few moments on CFH.
>>
>>65817212
>shredding rly rly fast
>virtuosity

nice try
>>
>>65818151
Pantera still did a bunch of things he dislikes such as no blues sound and too much preening guitar wankery. Motorhead were just a wall of sound without virtuoso guitar solos. He's always had this obsession that anything with too much technical playing is bad.
>>
>>65818158
>being too musically illiterate to even comprehend everything that's happening in that music
>>
>>65818204
>He's always had this obsession that anything with too much technical playing is bad.
hallmarks of the anti-intellectual marxist jew

>>65818226
>assuming lots of supremely intellectual music is happening because they're playing rly rly fast
>>
>>65818114
>Kurt Cobain
>Not a heroin addled nu male
Pick one
>>
I recall that Eminem said the big attraction of hip-hop when he was a kid was that it didn't require you to wear silly costumes or noodle on a guitar (it was the 80s, so...) Rappers felt like real guys from the street and not some kind of superstar from another planet.
>>
>>65818248
listen to the arrangement, the syncopation, the time signature changes and the unconventional melodies and atonality. the speed of the music is just the cherry on top.
>>
>>65818322
>it didn't require you to wear silly costumes

>dressing like a nigger monkey
>not a costume
nice try
>>
>>65818361
Man, he was a teenager in the 80s. Hip-hop was still underground in those days and the commercialized 50 Cent (TM) brand didn't exist.
>>
>>65818341
I mean, it's more complex than most of the people saying it isn't think it is, but it's not virtuoso level or anything. People are fighting about two extremes when the truth is in the middle.
If you want some real complex shit, listen to some jazz or something baka.
>>
>>65818248
Not really. He was a big jazz fan and said that's why guitar noodling never impressed him that much.
>>
>>65810033
sounds like scale practice
>>
File: Gene Simmons.jpg (29 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
Gene Simmons.jpg
29 KB, 624x351
"Rock music is dead. Rappers are the new rock stars. They're edgy, they have attitude, they flash around big stacks of money, they ride in a limousine with girls hanging off their arms. I mean, we all love that, right? They make you want to be them. The point is that rock stars aren't supposed to be ordinary people. And then at some point, they became ordinary people. And the music got bland, it got boring, it sucked, and people stopped listening to it."
>>
>>65818522
>And the music got bland, it got boring, it sucked, and people stopped listening to it
mainly due to bands like KISS
>>
>>65818322
I kind of agree. It was hard to look at Judas Priest or Van Halen in those days and imagine they were the same species of being as the kid next door banging away on a guitar in his garage. And, you know, that's why Christgau didn't like that shit. He thought rock should be simple and achievable for Average White Teen (TM).

>>65818522
Totally different idea from this guy who built his career on the idea of being an untouchable space demon.
>>
>>65812586
I don't think he would have liked doom metal either, since he wasn't a fan of Black Sabbath.
>>
>>65818561
Vat. The grunge era postdated Kiss's heyday by a good 15 years.
>>
>>65818601
>Totally different idea from this guy who built his career on the idea of being an untouchable space demon.
hallmarks of the anti-creativity, commercial rock 'n' roll jew.
>>
>>65812728
Oddly enough, I found that album to be overrated compared to the rest of their classic albums.
>>
>>65818601
Funny 'cos Rob Halford said "We were real people with real faces, not cartoony superheroes from space like Kiss."
>>
>>65818421
>If you want some real complex shit, listen to some jazz or something
i do. i took a jazz history class at college last semester. i agree that those musicians were virtuosic, but it's hard to compare improvised music with composed music. they're two very different things with very separate skill sets. jazz is almost always metronomic whereas half of the reason why technical metal is so impressive is because of the twisted time signatures
>>
>>65818671
He's a big poptimist and rated 1984 the highest because it was the most commercial of the classic VH records.
>>
File: front.jpg (46 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
46 KB, 500x500
>>65818702
baka
>>
>>65818673
Yeah, Halford was not a fan of Kiss and took a number of shots at them in various interviews over the years.
>>
>>65818749
i said almost always. there are certainly exceptions, but i was speaking generally
>>
>>65812485
Well, Neil Young was always pretty punk and that's also why he glommed onto the alternative bands in the 90s.
>>
>>65818778
you should still check that album out if you haven't already. sounds like you'd enjoy it.
>>
The idea of metal being technical is kind of bunk anyway since very few metal musicians understand composition or music theory. They're playing from instinct like almost every rock musician.
>>
>>65818819
>>
>>65814126
POT
CALLING
KETTLE
BLACK
>>
>>65818798
will do mate. thanks for the rec
>>
>>65818710
Makes sense. Their debut was always my favorite.
>>
On Avery Island [Merge, 1996] :(

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea [Merge, 1998] :(
>>
>>65819712
Good.
>>
>>65815531
the Wall Street Journal had a front page cultural article a couple weeks ago on the Botswana metal scene, where a reporter went to their "rock fest" (just a day where all the bands play) and they had culturally merged costumes and lots of bands.

basically some Africans got their hands on cassettes of AC DC and Metallica, and it grew from there
>>
>>65820039
Botswana is one of the few places in Africa wealthy enough to afford electricity though (thanks, diamonds).
>>
>>65815090
Exactly, Iron Maiden will play in front of a crowd of a hundred thousand people when they go to Brazil or Mexico
>>
File: Zdislaw Gondola.gif (1 MB, 680x551) Image search: [Google]
Zdislaw Gondola.gif
1 MB, 680x551
>>65820995
>tfw you're going to miss Black Sabbath's final concert here in spicland
It still hurts
>>
>>65814572
Not that guy, but the apex of Industrial comes from SPK.
>>
>>65812670
this!
>>
>>65808116
>promises complexity
stop listening to prog trash
Thread replies: 198
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.