[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does it mean to know how to play piano? What does someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Learning-how-to-play-piano.jpg (18 KB, 300x268) Image search: [Google]
Learning-how-to-play-piano.jpg
18 KB, 300x268
What does it mean to know how to play piano?

What does someone need to be capable of doing?
>>
chords
scales
>>
>>65799519
you don't. you can live your life without ever even knowing what a piano is.
>>
i mean technically, anyone can "play" piano, anyone can bang out a little melody, but if you're serious about it you need to learn
>>65799531
>>
touch a piano.

you just played it.

now try and play something you think sounds good.

now go to a person who knows how to make good sounds

tell them to teach you things that make you better at sounds

this includes practicing things you might think sound lame like scales and boring songs. do this anyway

do this for years.

congrats. you play piano.
>>
>>65799519
It means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Sight reading is difficult but important if you want to be able to play sheet music you've never seen before. Theory and ear training are important if you want to be able to do things like improvise, create your own arrangements, jam with other musicians, and things like that.

A good pianist should be well rounded in all these areas.
>>
You can't play till you can play the boogie woogie!!!!!
>>
>>65799519
To be able to play as good as any piece with minimal practice.

Improvising, composing etc. are separate skills.
>>
>>65799519
you have to be able to have one hand doing one thing and another doing something completely different
>>
I can masturbate with one hand and shitpost on /mu/ with the other. Does that count?
>>
File: 138838320458.jpg (14 KB, 502x417) Image search: [Google]
138838320458.jpg
14 KB, 502x417
>this thread
>>
I'm learning keyboard now and if I get to the point where I can make decent parts for the rock, pop and jazz that I write/play as a hobby and improvise a little bit in a jammy way, I'll be happy to say I can play it. I'm working on easy classical pieces now but I don't think I'll ever be good at them let alone be good at sight reading
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.