[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In need of business advice as a producer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: monsterbeats56.jpg (49 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
monsterbeats56.jpg
49 KB, 640x640
I'm a music producer. I can make radio quality rap beats and edm.

I plan on providing a service in which me and the customer talk about what they want in their instrumental (style, mood, genre, etc.), then I'm paid a certain amount to create from scratch an instrumental for the customer to rap/sing over. No legal work is done, once I send it, the customer can copyright it themselves and keep all the rights to it without paying me royalty.

This idea is different from the industry standard as far as I know. Most producers simply make a batch of instrumentals for the customer to browse through, whereas the instrumental I make is never before heard.

My dilemma is what I want to charge. On one hand, I offer more, because I'm doing something from scratch, but on the other hand, it's a gamble on their part, because they may hate the instrumental.

What should I charge? Keep in mind I make quality instrumentals.
>>
>>65785998
post a beat you made
>>
>>65785998
make the client pay an initial fee for production, final fee for clearing/licensing?

if you do what you do very well i don't see the problem
>>
>>65786065
This is my soudcloud. It's mostly me fucking around with random samples I find.

Type soundcloud dot com then add /djr2remixes
>>
>>65786177
I don't plan on doing any legal work, so it would have to be all up front, because I'd have no way of making them pay me further after I send the instrumental.
>>
>>65786391
I don't think you'll have to worry about that.
>>
>>65786404
Worry about what?
>>
>>65785998
go away kanye you faggot
>>
>>65786460
Pls my Yeezy boosts aren't doing numbers like I thought they would I need advice.
>>
>>65785998
I think people might do this already on freelance websites like Fiverr, have a look and see what they're charging. Fiverr is stupidly over saturated with sellers and the competitiveness drives a lot of people to charge so cheap that it's barely even worth it for them. That said idk how good the quality of most people's output is on there.
>>
>>65787699
Damn, 5 dollars on average. That's ridiculous.
>>
>>65785998
>I can make radio quality rap beats and edm.
>>65786305
>This is my soudcloud

There is absolutely nothing special about your music. In fact, it's pretty bad. The mixing is atrocious in mostly all of your tracks which, is hard to discriminate because they're all essentially the same.

You lie washed up in the ever-feared commercial drain of familiarity. No rappers will want your beats because they could just lease far better shit off traktrain.
/thread
>>
bump

My opinion would be half up-front, and the rest in royalties if they like it
>>
>>65788573
Not OP, but most rap artists are non musicians with shit taste so who cares
>>
>>65788573
Like I said, that's just me playing around with ideas. I'm not really taking it super serious like I plan to.
Also the bad mixing is kind of the point. Painfully distorted kicks, high gain, compressed mixes, etc. That's what the edgy kids are into. I wouldn't actually send that type of thing to someone unless they requested something of that style.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.