[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should someone's first guitar be a Strat or a LP?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
Should someone's first guitar be a Strat or a LP?
>>
>>65759628
Depends on what they like/want to sound like.

Strat btw
>>
>>65759628
I would recommend learning on an acoustic first
>>
Gibson is expensive shit and not worth it
Just use a tele
>>
>>65759628
I have both and I prefer playing my strat. Both are great tho
>>
>>65759697
THIS. If you can play something on an acoustic, you'll probably play it even better on electric, but the opposite doesn't apply. Start with an acoustic OP, makes you gain finger strength quicker.
>>
>>65759727
>Gibson is expensive shit and not worth it
>Just use a tele
>>
>>65759628
start with a cheap acoustic or maybe a shitty squire with a shitty amp, but i think the acoustic route is better.

If you end up not liking it as much as you though you would, you'll want to shoot yourself for spending so much money on a start or lp
>>
File: 20160618_122158.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160618_122158.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
I think your question is dumb op and I don't respect you for asking it

About 10 years ago my grandpa died and he left me his guitar (pic related). I have no idea what the brand is or if it's even an actual decent guitar but it sounds great. I ended up getting a hollow body and an acoustic too just to switch things up a bit but pic related is still to this day one of my most prized possessions.

I remember, being the dumb superstitious kid I was, always being kind of afraid to play it when I first started because I always asked myself "what if grandpa can hear the stuff I play on his guitar? I don't want him to hear me playing like shit" so I practiced really hard and got really good. Ended up playing guns and roses solos in a shitty high school band by the age of like 17 and, even though it was a really small town, everyone thought of me as one of the best guitarists they've ever seen and the few people that I still keep in contact from that shit little town still think the same thing.

I hope my grandpa can hear me playing on his guitar, he'd be damn proud

End of shameless bragging
>>
>>65759628
The one you like the sound of the most
>>
>>65760494
>Grandpa plays an offset
What a fag.
>>
>>65759697
>>65759950
this is currently what i'm doing, my goal is to get few chords and really simple songs under my belt, then get an electric.
>>
>>65761128
Go for a LP. The neck is closer to an acoustic and it has a shorter scale which is easier to play. Buy a coil tap LP btw.
>>
Actually I think and SG is a much better choice, I have a strat but I find the SG really more versatile and I don't really like the LP
>>
If you get a good strat you won't ever need any other electric guitar
>>
>>65759628
Always strat, reliable, dependable, and cheap.
>>
Telecaster.

Strats tremelo is too much of a pain in the ass to set up for beginners and LP's are terrible and uncomfortable to play
>>
I've played LPs before I got my first guitar, which was a strat. I vastly prefer strats.

The only Gibsons I like are the ES semi-hollows.
>>
>>65759628
>Should someone's first guitar have a temolo/vibrato like a strat or a fixed bridge like a LP?

ftfy

I'd advise fixed a fixed-bridge
>>
>>65763104
>>65763190
Strat tremolo is garbo and you don't need it, just unscrew it.

Fucking Clapton never used the damn tremolo.
>>
Just buy what you want to get and what works for you. Get something in HSS or HS and hear different pickup sounds as your first guitar. Tbqh I'd recommend a Telecaster or a hardtail Strat over an LP even though I love LPs.
>>
>People suggesting to start on an acoustic

Unless you get a teacher or are just very patient with developing proper technique you can end up being stuck with some very bad habits if you start on acoustic and then move to electric.

If you want to play electric guitar, start learning on an electric guitar.
>>
Whichever one you can afford and like the look/color of. Then buy something better down the road.
>>
>>65763308
Mexican strats are always best quality for their price.
>>
>>65763231
>Strat tremolo is garbo and you don't need it, just unscrew it.
>Fucking Clapton never used the damn tremolo.

Maybe so, but they're still a pain to tune compared to a fixed bridge if you're new to guitar.
>>
>>65763346
It takes literally 5 minutes to deck a strat bridge and make it a hard tail. You then always have the option of undoing it if you want to try playing with a trem.
>>
>>65763346
>Maybe so, but they're still a pain to tune compared to a fixed bridge if you're new to guitar.

They're really not, as long as you don't actually use the tremolo.

If you use it a lot it will go out of tune, but if you unscrew the damned thing it won't go out of tune easily, and you should be tuning your guitar regularly anyway, since that is a good habit to reinforce.
>>
File: blocktrem.jpg (3 KB, 120x90) Image search: [Google]
blocktrem.jpg
3 KB, 120x90
>>65763231

>Fuckin Clapton never used the damn tremolo

maybe that's why his best stuff was in his Gibson years ;)

I love Strat trems but think its a bad idea for beginners to have them, bc they cause lots of problems for the uninitiated

and you don't 'unscrew' it you jam a block of wood between the trem block and body like pic related to hardtail it.
>>
>>65763394
>It takes literally 5 minutes to deck a strat bridge and make it a hard tail.

Again maybe so, i'd still rather learn on a proper fixed bridge and not have to worry about fixing down a strat bridge and then re-setting it up properly as a beginner if I changed my mind
>>
>>65759978
Reminder that's a Tele you hear all over the first Led Zeppelin album
>>
>>65763503
Its all part of the learning process of playing guitar. Im sure the same kid would be scared as shit after cutting off all the strings on a les paul and having the tail piece fall off and nick the body. Either way, a beginner isnt going to know how to intonate any guitar right off hand.
>>
File: 335 bourbon burst.png (443 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
335 bourbon burst.png
443 KB, 1600x1000
>>65759697
what about starting on a semi, then?
>>
>first guitar
>Les Paul

okay I'll go ahead and be the poorfag here and say that honestly both those guitars (assuming you mean a real strat) are way too nice for a beginner who'll probably drop the hobby in a year
>>
>>65763460
>They're really not, as long as you don't actually use the tremolo.

Then what the point as a beginner getting a guitar with a trem?

I first picked up guitar around 1992, and trems caused me more grief than anything, granted this was before Floyd Rose etc was as popular/affordable as today and the internet was as thing

I'd still rather have a fixed bridge if I was learning again though, but each to their own
>>
>>65763503
I actually hate the strat trem and think it's nigh useless aside from easy bends for full chords.

You can't do Kevin Shields shit with a strat trem, and offset Fenders have their own problems with their bridges.
>>
>>65760494
I play a Rickenbacker bass.
>>
>>65763646
>Then what the point as a beginner getting a guitar with a trem?

Because non MIA Fender strats, and strat knockoffs are cheaper than teles, and they're the most widely available style of guitar, they're also very comfortable and extremely easy to learn on.

>>65763646
>granted this was before Floyd Rose etc was as popular/affordable as today and the internet was as thing

Floyd Roses are total shit, avoid them, don't fall for the Floyd Rose meme.
>>
>>65763460

If you know how to set up a strat trem to float correctly and your strings are gliding through lubed nut/string trees without snagging it will hold tune really well after the strings are settled in so long as you don't 'pull up'

I see so many people set their strats up for "dive only" and their whammy is useless, feels clunky and often knocks. might as well hard tail it. It should be able to pull up some. I set mine (6 point) up to pull up 1 semitone on E strings, 2 semitones on B and A, and 3 semitones on G and D. (don't remember where I got this tip, think it was how Jeff Beck sets his up)

And we all know about stretching strings, but on a strat after you pull the string from pickup to 12th fret and retune, you gotta start Diving the trem completely and retuning over and over again

I guarantee if you do this, after 1 hour of hell with cigarette smoke stinging your eyes, you will be able to divebomb like EVH and your Strat will stay in tune

(van halens first album recorded w/o locking nut)
>>
>>65763717
>Floyd Roses are total shit, avoid them, don't fall for the Floyd Rose meme.

Old habit, grew up with hearing the name and I interchangeably use it for that type of Bridge and locking system/nut etc.

tl;dr can't teach an old dog new tricks
>>
>>65763717

>floyd rose are shit

this. Floyd Rose trems are fine for experts with light touch. We all know beginners are gonna break hella strings, especially on their shitty import FR style bridges (ibanez edge) etc

and when you break a string on a FR style bridge it's basically full setup time, everytime
>>
>>65759628
>first guitar
>anything but a relatively cheap Ibanez

lol
>>
>>65763777
That's neat to know, though I've never been much of a soloist and have pretty much avoided using the trem other than seldomly.

And also my guitar was used when I got it, so I never had to set up the trem. Always, ALWAYS try out an instrument before you buy it.
>>
There are lots of great setup videos on Youtube. I wish I had that resource when I was learning guitar.

I also have my Jazzmaster trem working like a charm thanks to YT videos and the guys at offsetguitars.com forums

The internet rules
>>
>>65763895
>>anything but a relatively cheap Ibanez

I've got an Ibanez Artist here, late 70's early 80's, built like a tank, 3piece neck, slolid mahogany body fully bound with hand-carved maple top. lost count of the times it's been dropped miles above a Std LP

Cost me £300, pic not mine but related
>>
>>65763584

are you inside my head? I did this to my Gibson Melody Maker the first time I changed the strings, lol

Luckily it's a cheap satin finish so it's gonna get rekt anyways
>>
my first guitar,was a flying V
>>
Acoustic
then a Telecaster
>>
>>65764130
was it a gibson or a clone
>>
strat is for le blues dads so a tele is better for you
>>
>>65764217
You must be 18+ to post here btw
>>
>>65764320
Strats are nice but Teles are 1000x better and comfier.
>>
>>65763329
Yeah same parts but assembled in Mexico
>>
>>65764333
>clumsy and super heavy is comfy
Yeah being a hunchback is fun
>>
>>65764428
Yeah, this.
>>
File: squier affinity tele.jpg (452 KB, 2400x787) Image search: [Google]
squier affinity tele.jpg
452 KB, 2400x787
who here /affinity/?
>>
>>65763284
Specifically what habits anon?
I'm currently learning on an old acoustic my parents owned but I plan on playing electric, what should I watch out for?
>>
I practiced on my dad's acoustic for years before I saved up enough for a cheap strat clone.
Loved that piece of shit guitar.
>>
>>65759628
Your first guitar should be a First Act Discovery because at that point, that's all you deserve
>>
>>65764673
>what should I watch out for?
Advice from strangers on 4chan
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.