[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions on Andrew Jackson Jihad? American tune ruined this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 259x194
Opinions on Andrew Jackson Jihad?

American tune ruined this perfectly good album for me.
>>
>>65756423
>the fucking kazoos
Yeah I'm pretty fucking sure that song is tongue in cheek. It's probably making fun of those "YOU'RE A FUCKING WHITE MALE" kinds of people.

Regarding the band, I enjoyed Knife Man but didn't really like the rest of their stuff. But again, I'm not really a fan of the whole folk-punk thing.
>>
>>65756750
But they have a song on another album literally just called "fuck white people" which isn't tongue in cheek at all.

Which is ironic considering all this folk music is a typically super white thing.
>>
>>65756423
>waaaaaaaah sjws waaaaaaaaah
>>
>>65757006
How autistic are you to think FWP isn't ironic
>>
>>65757026
OP didn't even mention SJWs, you faggot. It could be that OP simply doesn't like preachy lyrics.
>>
>>65756423
I like them. They're earlier stuff is better in my opinion. Their best is the ghost mosce split. Christmas island seems a bit more generic
>>
>>65756423
the only album ive ever deleted from my hdd
>>
>>65756423
American tune is a joke, think about it...

The entire album has a very melancholy tone about it, some songs like backpack are depressive as fuck, others have a cheery vibe but with horribly depressing lyrics. All the songs are about the hard times in his life, all the sad shit that he's gone through.

American tune is a jarring jaunty romp about how he's white, male and straight so it's impossible for anything bad to happen to him complete with out of tune kazoos, in amongst all the rest of the angst and depresion, juxtaposing the rest of the album against this song, as if to say how ridiculous the notion that fucking white males have everything going right in there life, after hearing the rest of the album before and after it,

It's like he's showing how life can suck for everyone.

"I'm a straight white male in America, so Ive got all the luck I need." This lyric is said with such sarcastic bitterness that it may be mistaken for contempt for the lack of social justice.

That being said, it's music, it's art, it can be interpreted any way you want it to.
>>
>tfw got cucked by by wife's son
Should I divorce him?
>>
>>65758056
This doesn't make any sense
>>
I thougth american tune was satirical.
>>
>>65757941
>it's music, it's art, it can be interpreted any way you want it to.
No, it can't, because that implies there artist didn't have any point to make with his choice in words and they just came about the way they are by random chance or their sonic qualities.
>>
>>65758094
but dude cuck lmao
>>
>>65757941
yeah I thougth it was this way, in the song itself he says his dad left him, cause he was white.
>>
>>65758117
we cant take music as we want, but the intentions of the autor cant, this guy has a nice interpretation of the song in the album but the
>it's music, it's art, it can be interpreted any way you want it to.
makes his all argument pointless just be safer.
>>
>>65758188
Mind translating that into coherent English?
>>
>>65758236
you can´t interprete music like we want, but the intentions of the autor´s are something that we cant change, if the autor fuck ups the relation betwen his intentions and its realization it can ruin a piece.

Is that more understandable?
>>
I've only ever listened to the People Who Can Eat People Are The Luckiest People In The World, I'd say they're pretty good, but I always confuse AJJ with the mountain goats.
>>
>>65758329
>Is that more understandable?
Yeah but I just have one more question.

How many shots of Absolut did you take?
>>
>>65756423
I think they're pretty good

Knife Man, the Ghost Mice split and People are all nice.
American tune is pretty dumb
>>
>>65756423
they get old fast
>>
File: 1462620495189 (1).png (51 KB, 324x246) Image search: [Google]
1462620495189 (1).png
51 KB, 324x246
>>65758529
English is not my first language, and I think its getting a bit rusty since I only use it to read and post things on internet these days.
>>
fucking cucks
u
c
k
i
n
g

c
u
c
k
s
>>
PWCEP is really good. Knife Man is good too, but Back Pack actually hurts that album the most for me. Sean's vocals are at their worst and it's drawn out way too long.

I honestly don't get people who don't like American Tune. If anything, disagreeing with it should make it really funny considering Sean sounds like a scrawny white fuccboi
>>
DUDE FUCKING WHITE PRIVILEGE AMIRITE?
>>
>>65758558
This
>>
>>65757941
Yeah this.
>>
>>65756423
why that songs hilarious
>>
>>65757941
I didn't think it was a joke, but I don't really listen to the band, so idk. But like no one is saying that white men can't have a shitty time or have bad shit happen to them. They just aren't systemically oppressed. Tbf I've only heard the song out of context of the album so it could be sarcastic. Hate Rain on Me has like the best opening lyrics of any song ever, btw.
>>
File: 473-27402-12825.jpg (24 KB, 491x727) Image search: [Google]
473-27402-12825.jpg
24 KB, 491x727
>>65759058
>But like no one is saying that white men can't have a shitty time or have bad shit happen to them. They just aren't systemically oppressed.

>>>/tumblr/ is that way, cuck
>>
>>65759259
>tumblr invented sociology
>>
>>65759259
>Implying Lisa wouldn't agree with him
>>
>>65759323
I'm a girl, and yeah, pretty sure Lisa Simpson of all characters would be on my side lol.
>>
>people who don't listen to AJJ not understanding the actual meaning of the song American Tune

You are all retarded. It's about how even though Sean is white he still has a shit life and it makes it shittier because he's white and he can't complain about it totally because of all this apparent privilege
>>
File: 438.png (117 KB, 290x315) Image search: [Google]
438.png
117 KB, 290x315
>>65759454
>buying into AJJ cuckening
>>
>>65759058
>They just aren't systemically oppressed.

Neither is any other race.
>>
>>65759259
>>65759511
cuck
>>
>>65757941
theres also the lyrics on still peoplin that would contribute to this
"you dont have it any better you dont have it any worse/youre an irreplaceable human soul with your own understanding of what it means to suffer/ and thats a huge bummer"
the whole album really is proving this, depression and suffering and bad feelings arent confined to any sort of person but are natural and universal
>>
>>65759561
>What is slavery, segregation, police brutality, and the school to prison pipeline
>>
>>65759715
>still bringing up slavery and segregation in 2016
police brutality and school to prison pipeline are much more complicated issues that cannot be blamed solely on some sort of systematic oppression, and you're ignoring other problems in minority communities
>>
>>65759893
There are literally people alive who lived through segregation.
>>
>>65756750
>Yeah I'm pretty fucking sure that song is tongue in cheek. It's probably making fun of those "YOU'RE A FUCKING WHITE MALE" kinds of people.
You'd be wrong then.
>>
>>65759933
Yeah, I thought it was about pointing out oppression in a snarky way

"I recommend it highly"
>>
>>65759921
and it's not a relevant issue in today's culture so I'm not sure why it's being brought up
>>
>>65757941
>>65756750
>>65758151
>>65759004
HURR DURR IT'S JUST A JOKE, A FOLK PUNK BAND COULDN'T POSSIBLY BE LE SJW BOOGEYMAN

>SubAp!: In “American Tune”, track 3 on Knife Man, a lyric coos “I’m a straight white male in America/I’ve got all the luck I need.” How has this straight whiteness benefited you and the accomplishments of Andrew Jackson Jihad? Expand on how it really is “all the luck” one could need.

>SB: Speaking for myself, I say it’s a lot easier for someone who is in a place of privilege to be in a band. That’s not to say there aren’t people who belong to different races, genders, and classes that don’t make amazing music, but I don’t think I’m a strong enough person to do that if I had other things to worry about that are oppressing everybody in this country. Oh, I’m sounding so preachy. I think if I wasn’t in such a lush position already, I don’t think I’d bother with being in a band – just myself alone.

>Especially the song American Tune from the record "Knife Man". Can you tell us more about that song?

>Sean: That's probably the most truthful I've ever been in a song.

>I've noticed recently that in live shows, Sean has replaced a lot of lyrics that could be construed as misogynistic (changing it to "deep down in your balls" in "We Didn't Come Here To Rock" comes to mind), and has outright stopped playing songs like Lady Killer. Has this been a conscious decision, in line with songs like American Tune? If so, that's punk rock as hell.

>Preston: yes, exactly, that is a conscious decision.

You people are so fucking retarded.
>>
>>65759959
Once again, you'd be wrong:
>>65759974
>>
>wow, you don't like that VARG is a neo-nazi murderer? learn to seperate the art from the artist anon....
>what? SJW lyrics in my music? FUCK AJJ!

t. /pol/
>>
>>65759963
People who lived through segregation couldn't get the same kind of jobs/education/access to resources as white people during that time. They weren't allowed to live in nicer areas and couldn't make as much money (or any at all). So their children grow up living in crappy neighbourhoods, no one in their family has gone to college, and they're living paycheck to paycheck. It's a hard cycle to break, and it takes generations. For example, my parents, while white and Canadian, lived during segregation. And I'm only in my 20s.
>>
lmao people inventing meanings for a song just to appeal to /pol/
>>
>>65760005
No, that's what I meant. He's pointing out issues of discrimination in a funny way. It's certainly the most I've ever smiled talking about rape or racism lol
>>
File: 640x0.jpg (65 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
640x0.jpg
65 KB, 640x960
>>65759893

boo hoo little white boy

cry for the gorilla savages

i'm sorry your girlfriend left you for a nigger
>>
>>65760029
>SJW lyrics
And there you have it anon. That's the difference. Varg did fucked up shit outside of his music. AJJ does it both inside their music and outside.
>>
They are a pussy cuck band, not because of any music they've made, but because of the name change
>>
>>65760108
I'm sorry that you have so much trouble reading homie but try again, maybe a little slower this time
>>65760051
right but there isn't active systematic oppression going on right now so again not sure why you're bringing it up tbqh
>>
>>65759974
>If so, that's punk rock as hell.
Holy shit
>>
>>65760029

The lyrics are part of the art, fool.
>>
>>65760108
he agrees with you /pol/tard dumbfuck
>>
>>65760195
>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>65760136
I mean, I get this to a degree, but doesn't Varg also have songs about nationalism and keeping the race pure? I thought his newer albums had a couple
>>
>>65760244
>>>/g/untohead
>>
>>65760148
My point is the effects of that system are still being felt. They still affect the lives of millions of people. And there's still lots of racism going on today. Look at black sounding names getting fewer callbacks for job interviews.
>>
>>65760249
I wouldn't know because I haven't listened to any of his new stuff. Btw there is literally nothing wrong with nationalism.
>>
>>65760322
I meant like hyper nationalism "the only real Norwegians are white" type stuff.
>>
>>65760298
yes they are but you seem to not get the point so I'll drop that

your latter argument is an example of legitimate racism but again, much more a complex an issue than "hurr fuck blacks xdfp"

I think it's more of an issue with individuals and how they perceive race than any sort of made up systematic oppression in this day and age
>>
>>65760157
It is you mongo
>>
>>65760361
>"the only real Norwegians are white

That's true though.
>>
It's not 100% sincere and it's not 100% ironic. They're sincere in talking about white/straight/male privilege, while making fun of the people who say straight white guys have no problems in their life
>And I can get a girl pregnant and just as easily flee
>Just like my straight white male dad did to me
>>
>>65760376
systems of oppression aren't always codified in laws (though they frequently are) That's usually how you can tell progress is being made. And no, I don't think it's a conscious thing either. When I say systems of oppression, I don't mean that there's an evil council of white people who meet once a week to figure out how to screw with other races. I just mean that it's institutionalized. It affects people of color at every level. From police brutality to housing dicrimination. Racism is still a thing.
>>
>>65760376
Honestly I think we might just have different definitions and standards of what constitutes systemic racism.
>>
>>65760464
please stop posting in this thread, or any other thread for that matter

thx
>>
>>65760426
So the only real Americans are Natives?
>>
>>65760485
I actually rarely bring politics into discussions here. It's usually only when a discusion is already in progress that I'll contribute. Also, I post lots of good threads here that are often met with "wow, thanks for making this thread, good music/discusion/whatever"
>>
>>65760485
hi

please take the full length of my cock up your ass

thanks!
>>
>>65760517
Yes
>>
>>65760524
Wow, thanks for making this comment! Great political discussion
>>
>>65760544
you seem really upset my man, what's wrong?
>>65760547
see this post, >>65760485 thx :^)
>>
Thread Theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh26zOjIh9I
>>
>>65760567
lol
>>
>>65760376
I think we all (not just white people, but black/mexican/etc) have a bit of subconscious racism encoded into us, we just don't realize it. Like we have black friends and we like black musicians and we think that we don't hate black people and we think we treat all people equally. But we subconsciously associate a name like DeShaun with crime/poverty/etc. more than we do a name like Sean. And we get a bit more scared when we see a black person in baggy jeans and a hoodie walking our general direction than we would get if the person were white (even though we're not scared when we see a black guy in a suit or other formal attire). I don't think it makes us racist to have that ingrained in us, but it's still racist behavior we gotta recognize and fight
>>
>>65760624
>we subconsciously associate a name like DeShaun with crime/poverty/etc. more than we do a name like Sean. And we get a bit more scared when we see a black person in baggy jeans and a hoodie walking our general direction than we would get if the person were white
I, for one, don't do any of these things. I would thank you to not project your racist actions onto me
>>
>>65760624
>scared of black people, projects it out to other people being racist

and there you have it folks.
>>
>>65760450
Wow man, can you miss the point of that line so much?
>>
>>65757170
Then OP should listen to Can't Maintain. AJJ has only been preachy in recent years.
>>
>>65760624
So stop projecting on an imageboard and go suck a black dick to ease your conscience faggot
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.