[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a more pathetic """job"""
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 525x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 525x700
Is there a more pathetic """job""" than being a music critic?

You literally get paid to talk shit about people more talented, more famous and richer than you.
>>
art is nothing without its critics
>>
>>65753118
Scruffles does this only as a hobby tho.
>>
woah scaruffi knows robots
what a guy
>>
>getting paid to shittalk people
i mean that sounds like a fucking brilliant job if you ask me. can you imagine a better scam?
>>
>>65753118
>Scaruffi
>music critic

Pick one
He only reviews albums as a hobby, he's actually a cognitive scientist

See: https://youtube.com/watch?v=CTof1qKMbNU
>>
Party ?
>>
>>65753118
as you can tell by that picture, music critic isn't his only fucking job
>>
File: Fire_SpongeBob.png (244 KB, 480x368) Image search: [Google]
Fire_SpongeBob.png
244 KB, 480x368
>>65753118
>tfw see a review absolutely panning an album I like
>start to wonder if it's really any good or not
sucks being weak-willed
>>
File: 1452810412278.jpg (30 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1452810412278.jpg
30 KB, 512x384
>>65753283
>see a review absolutely panning an album I like
>start to like it even more
>>
>>65753165
>cognitive scientist
>author
>poet
>cultural historian
>music historian
>film historian
>political commentator
>visual artist
>lecturer
>software consultant
>entrepreneur

Is there anything this man can't do?
>>
>>65753400
Marry a 12 year old
>>
>>65753400
He has to be some kind of fraud right? Can anyone find an actual paper in a peer reviewed journal he wrote?

>>65753165
I could have give this talk after skimming a few wikipedia articles.
>>
>>65753496
>I could have give this talk after skimming a few wikipedia articles.

No you couldn't.
>>
>>65753496
atleast half of those titles he has given himself. Like he just writes about everything on his website, and so can call himself that (in his view). Like if I write a short story and some poems and put them on a website, I could also call myself an author and a poet... just not an accomplished one.
>>
>>65753118
>You literally get paid to talk shit about people more talented, more famous and richer than you

as opposed to your job which is to talk shit about him while not getting paid
>>
>>65753118

You know, I would rather spend my time listening to the album than listening to some guy talk about it for 10 minutes.
>>
File: 1449277201332.jpg (96 KB, 792x558) Image search: [Google]
1449277201332.jpg
96 KB, 792x558
>>65753496
>This old article by Piero Scaruffi has won several international awards as the most professional analysis of the career of pop group the Beatles ever written
>>
>>65753564
Why not? He doesn't say anything especially technical or earth shattering. The few numbers he rattles off any child could calculate or look up. If you were ever in a high school debate club, you would understand it's no big deal to go from knowing nothing about a subject to giving a presentation like this inside of a week or less.
>>
Scruff has a PhD in math (though I think it was more physics or comp Sci related) works on AI and worked on inventing the Internet. His site is one of the oldest websites around
>>
>>65753118
>talk shit about people more talented
Talent is a false concept tho. There are people who can learn things faster than others, but with dedication anyone can learn anything.
Just read "The Genius in All of Us" if you don't believe me.
>>
>>65753744
Talent is making the right use of all your abilities. Even if it was true that all people are equally capable of anything (they are not) it wouldn't change a thing - you either do it right or read fairytales like "The Genius in All of Us".
>>
>>65753691
I still think he's totally full of shit. What was his PhD thesis on exactly? Where is his AI "research"?
>>
>>65753118
>Is there a more pathetic """job""" than being a music critic?
Pic unrelated.
>>
>>65753137
>he does it for free
>>
>>65753118
It's not much of a job, it's basically throwing stones at artists who actually contribute something and share a part of who they are with the world.

The worst part of music critics is that they are usually self-important types.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.