[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So i've been working on a music player and manager for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10
File: 2016-06-05 20_16_04-Atomica.png (120 KB, 552x797) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-05 20_16_04-Atomica.png
120 KB, 552x797
So i've been working on a music player and manager for a few months now, currently in alpha stages. The goal was to make it fast/sleek as fuck with plenty of power-user/hotkey tricks (Like a cmus/Foobar inspired hybrid). So I got searching to be practically instant now with cached id3 tags. You can favorite tracks for easy access. You can also view the lyrics of tracks.

It would be awesome if a few of you could do the first alpha test of it and would be awesome enough to give some feedback and report problems. If you want to try it, please have tagged music and an album/artist focused collection and not just random singles. You can email me at [email protected] and i'll send it over. It's written in python, if anyone is wondering.

Also what features are the nicest to have in music managers and players? I want to release this in a few months or so. UI improvement suggestions are welcome.
>>
File: atomica_alpha.png (95 KB, 552x798) Image search: [Google]
atomica_alpha.png
95 KB, 552x798
bump
>>
looks good OP. Head over to /g/, you'll get better opinion there. Although in its current form, it looks similar to foobar
>>
File: 2016-06-12 00_55_54-Atomica.png (68 KB, 552x798) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-12 00_55_54-Atomica.png
68 KB, 552x798
>>65740674
Just did, thanks my good anon.

Pic is what the scan looks like.
>>
File: lyrics.png (83 KB, 552x798) Image search: [Google]
lyrics.png
83 KB, 552x798
more meme music for my good friends at /mu/
>>
high anon from your last thread. I'm high again.

Did you work on that automated organization/importation feature?
>>
File: musicbee7.png (2 MB, 1920x1042) Image search: [Google]
musicbee7.png
2 MB, 1920x1042
>>65740674
make it as functional as musicbee and work from there
>>
>>65740971
>meme shaped poop

hmm, nah
>>
>>65740674
>the BTFO'ing OP's getting from /g/

topkek
I even feel bad for OP, but just a little bit.
>>
>>65741368
I like the way your library is organized, too bad the genres in my library is a complete mess.
>>
>>65740674
I suggest you putting the controls on top and making a Playing Tracks panel. It's absolutely essential to have a playing queue system. Add also playlists.
>>
>>65741532
OP here. I seriously don't find any of the comments on /g/ offensive or personal or anything like that.
I actually would prefer it, it's advertising and usually a good laugh. I also know i'm more successful than any of those faggots too.
>>
>>65742690
Don't listen to trolls. They know shit about programming and how hard is to make even the simplest program. I'm making some programs in C# and it's not that easy.
>>
>>65741368
OP here. Musicbee is absolute king, it's not like I think my program is even close to as good. Musicbee is some amazing software.

But mine is a lot more minimal, and you can navigate using only keyboard fast as fuck. I navigate around music way faster in my program than Musicbee. that's one of the reasons I created it in the first place.

>>65742892
Most obviously can't program fucking shit, but some can i'm sure. I'm not claiming to be the best or an amazing programmer, I stated clearly that its MONTHS away from a proper beta release. Some tards don't understand what alpha is, I guess.
>>
>>65743175
hey OP, I think this music player could end up being a really fabulous thing if you work out a few of the kinks. What would you say are some functions you plan on putting into it later on?

Also, are some of the art assets lifted from foobar, or are they just common things?
>>
>>65743228
By art do you mean like play button and the heart and stuff?
I just looked around on google until I found something that looks good. It might be also in foobar, but that's not intentional.

Toaster popups/notifications are the next big feature I want to add. The hard part is making it minimal and sexy, but I think it's worth the effort. Also album art view/catalog (just like musicbee) is another one. All of these would be options of course.

Equalizer is also coming very soon and it will be pretty easy to do, thankfully.

Also if I feel motivated I might try to do an auto tagger for the fucks with shitty tags on their music. I think that will be a lot of time though.

I appreciate the support. It has a long ways to go but I know the butt hurt faggots will get blown the fuck out when I actually get this thing into beta in some months. The more butt hurts I see the more i'm motivated that prove them wrong like I did with my last big project.
>>
Needs nightmode. please op.
>>
>>65740674
Don't have any real advice, but good luck OP! c:
>>
>>65743533
i'll be sure to give it a shot as soon as it goes into beta
>>
>>65740674
Hey OP
Something great that would this amazing would be a Last.fm scrobbler.
The favorite button should also add it to your Last.fm's loved tracks.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything. It definitely needs to be more aesthetically pleasing, but I understand it's in its Alpha stage.
>>
>>65744720
Do people still use last fm scrobbling?
>>
>>65741313
fuck I missed your comment high anon. yes I have it working but not in the alpha i'm releasing right now. will be in next wave.

You still da man tho high anon, rip one for me.
>>
>>65745349
if you're underage, yeah.
>>
>>65743533
out of curiosity, what was your last big project?

are you aiming for easy customization/skinning, and if so, will it be as easy as with foobar, winamp, etc?
>>
is this osx compatible?
>>
>>65745761
It was a VR project that got interest from Microsoft. I wish I could say more but I can't, I won several engineering competitions with it.

>>65745770
Actually it might be, but you would need to launch the python script manually (right now it's an msi that installs with an .exe and is all inclusive). Almost certainly will have a few bugs because of the file structure of OSX. It should work with a few simple code changes, don't have a mac to test and tweak though. sorry. maybe for beta i'll support mac and linux.
>>
>>65745761
>are you aiming for easy customization/skinning

It would be awesome of course, but a total pain in the ass with the GUI framework I use. My plan right now is just to make a night mode.
>>
>>65746028
even if it wasn't customizable like foobar, so long as it has a variety of different features to choose from, it would be perfect.
>>
>>65746109
I think I can pull this off, thank you for the input anon.
>>
>>65740674
Remove the 4 dashed before and after the album names.

Remove the artist name from before every track name... maybe could put artist name in bold somewhere else.. either next to album names or above the albums in hierarchy.

Also work on the UI design..
>>
>>65746583
>Remove the artist name from before every track name... maybe could put artist name in bold somewhere else.. either next to album names or above the albums in hierarchy.

I want to do this badly. But some other anons mentioned album artists, if I show the artist for every track I can easily do the different artists on a single album.

Maybe I should do your suggestion only if every artist is the same on the album? Otherwise use the old method. Hmm....

Yeah dashes should probably be removed. Having it floating looks kind of strange though.

Thanks for input.
>>
>>65745737
underage kiddies don't even know what last.fm is. it's stat-obsessed autists like myself that like it.
>>
>>65746836
why not just leave it playing and rack up the track count then?
>>
File: 2016-06-18 00_13_29-Atomica.png (96 KB, 552x798) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-18 00_13_29-Atomica.png
96 KB, 552x798
>>65746583
So I removed the dashes on the album name, do you guys think this looks better? Maybe I should align to left just like tracks?

thoughts?
>>
>>65748054
if the dash lines are going to be removed, having the album titled aligned to the left would be best. It makes it more astheticaly pleasing.
>>
File: 2016-06-18 00_26_56-Atomica.png (104 KB, 552x798) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-18 00_26_56-Atomica.png
104 KB, 552x798
>>65748100
Yep, I think so too. Maybe I should make the font a tiny bit bigger to make it stand out more?
>>
>>65748289
yes, that would help. On eyeball, it can be a bit hard to distinguish between albums, but with a bigger font it would help
>>
File: 2016-06-18 00_47_11-Atomica.png (105 KB, 552x798) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-18 00_47_11-Atomica.png
105 KB, 552x798
>>65748314
Is this the perfect balance my good anon?
>>
>>65748625
yeah, I would say so
>>
Hey, if OP is still in this thread: Older versions of MediaMonkey (they actually took this out) had a feature where you could stop playback at the end of the current track. This was really handy if you put on an album and wanted your music to stop playing once the album was done. I feel like that shouldn't be too hard to implement, and I'd be forever grateful.
>>
A function that I've noticed a few players miss (i couldn't get it to work with Foobar, that's why i switched to MusicBee) is make sure you can organize by date added. I like to listen to my new music and I sometimes forget what I recently added.
>>
>>65748864
seconding this, that's one feature I wish foobar had access to
>>
>>65740674
does it play vinyls
>>
>>65740674
could work in thumbnails of albums somewhere i think. (the ones in library not the currently playing)
>>
is there osx compatability
>>
>>65743533
to add onto the tagger, if there is anyway you could draw the tags from RYM, I think that would be good. I feel that (for the most part) the tags on there are correct
>>
>>65748793
This sounds easy, it stops at the end of the current track or the current album playing when set?

>>65749246
I've thought a lot about this, but where is the room? I want to have an album art catalog mode (like musicbee) and have a text mode and an album art mode (again, like musicbee)

>>65749298
Answered above

>>65749399
What do you mean grab tags from rym or anywhere else? Fixing tags is hard as fuck because I really only have the filename to go off of. I have no idea how other programs do it, i'm going to just look for a module to do it for me because that is some really boring and frustrating coding. Fixing tags needs to get done though, somehow. too many people have shit tags.
>>
>>65740674
>It's written in python, if anyone is wondering.
Is Python particularly good for that or is it just your most comfortable language? Surely there must be languages better for this.
>>
>>65749677
i remember at one point someone in a music player thread mentioned that they were able to tag their music by using a coding that fetched the tags from rym
>>
>>65740674
make it work and function like the Zune software but allowing me to play more file types
>>
MusicBee is the shit.
Fully customizable.
Check it out.
>>
This may not be in the vein of what you want your music player to be, but something that'd be nice was if there was a function where you could prompt your browser to open and look up an album just through google. I don't like how MusicBee only uses last.fm
>>
>>65749715
Both.
I'd say it's mostly the second point you mentioned but python in particular has an insane amount of modules.
Like the getting lyrics function took me five minutes to implement because a python module does all the work for me.

Overall, it really doesn't matter. The GUI framework is far more relevant than the language for an application like this.

I think Python puts the other programming languages to shame for about 90% of regular applications.

>>65749728
Will look into this, fixing tags would make this program a lot more viable. Thanks.
>>
>>65749809
>I think Python puts the other programming languages to shame for about 90% of regular applications.
Alright, cool. Thanks.
>>
>>65749769
Musicbee is godlike but my program searches fucking instantly and if you know the hotkeys, the navigation is MUCH faster. Left and Right Arrow keys jump between albums or letters (letters when on artist list). That alone makes navigating around so fast.
>>
>>65740674
how does the app scale to another window aspect ratio?
>>
>>65749677
It stops at the end of the current track
>>
scrobbling support pls
>>
>>65750720
Will do this soon, it's easy.
>>
>>65740674
Having a crack at the UI in photoshop at the momnt anon
>>
>>65751223
what does this mean
>>
>>65751239
He's going to give you UI suggestions with his photoshop skills
>>
>>65751239
user interface design. idea for what might make it look a bit better
>>
>>65751258
This would be amazing. if you want, we can correspond over email, it's in first post.
>>
lol, wanna hear some ridiculously petty criticism?

i like it! it's almost exactly like the foobar setup i had set up a year or so ago, but without all the hassle that made me quit foobar. desu i'd probably use it when it's released, so long as a couple things were in place:

- an auto-update-at-startup feature, and the ability to chose multiple music library folders from different places on a computer. without these features using a music organizer is more hassle than just manually clicking through folders because it takes so much effort to get the library up to date every time you download something. also, it would be really nice if there was an option to 'hide' tracks that were in the library but not currently accessible - say music stored on an external hdd that has been disconnected. don't you hate it when your library starts to become bloated with dead links and duplicates? maybe that's asking a lot though.

- play/pause and track advance by hovering over the atomica icon in the taskbar.

- click and drag scroll would be nice for artists with larger discographies - i understand not having a bar running down the side, but it can take a fair while to get to the bottom of a list sometimes.

- when atomica changes track it takes the artist panel back to the artist currently playing - even if you're browsing through the library looking for something else to play (probably something you just haven't gotten around to yet but w/e)

- i'd like to be able to edit artist information from within the program - i have a few bjorks and björks, joy divisions and joy divisioons, that sort of thing.

desu the reason i don't use software for organising music is because all the programs out there are either bloated as fuck and ugly, or minimalist and pretty but useless. i would absolutely support a program as simple as this with all the intuitive behind-the-scenes features that make a music organizer worthwhile.
>>
>>65751274
yer sent u an email then
>>
making some icons
>>
>>65751298
As the OP this is the most insightful post i've gotten, so thank you for that.

Auto-update is definitely exciting, i'd love to do it. Will probably rent a cheap server because i'm paranoid to give out my ip. It actually wouldn't be that difficult to setup either, maybe i'll just implement it now so everyone is bleeding edge because i'm constantly improving on it.

> click and drag scroll would be nice for artists with larger discographies - i understand not having a bar running down the side, but it can take a fair while to get to the bottom of a list sometimes.
Are you using left/right arrow keys? They scroll down very far very quick when held down.

>- when atomica changes track it takes the artist panel back to the artist currently playing - even if you're browsing through the library looking for something else to play (probably something you just haven't gotten around to yet but w/e)
That was actually a design choice. But you're right, I should definitely allow the option to have control of the treeview 100% of the time.

I'm glad you see the same potential for such a program. I think i'm in a nice niche that other music managers on windows aren't. That's what I intend to capitalize off of.
>>
>>65751440
This is looking sexy as fuck anon. I would make the lines a little thicker though. I also love the volume bar but that can't be done with my GUI framework, but I will place the speaker next to the current volume bar.
>>
File: sss.jpg (114 KB, 550x795) Image search: [Google]
sss.jpg
114 KB, 550x795
Something like this?
>>
>>65751456
>Are you using left/right arrow keys?
nope, i wasn't. it works really well actually, much better than clicking and dragging would.

atomica updating itself would be awesome, but i was really talking about the library checking for new files when you open the program after downloading something.

if you had a patreon i'd give like $10 a month or something lol. dunno if anyone else would though. anyway i'm off to bed, best of luck for now!
>>
>>65751603
This would be amazing but way too difficult to program. Notice the treeview is basically a grid. I can only really manipulate the font and the size in the grid fields. Images can't be done in them either.
>>
>>65751665
>>65751603
But I really like that seek bar positioning. Bigger album art, I like it. Way less empty space. A+ clever anon. Fuck I think might do it right now.
>>
>>65751665
Bummer.
sounds like a fairly crippling framework
>>
>>65751665
I can send u the icons as vector if you want... have you got a vector program at all?
>>
>>65751705
I'm implementing everything below that though.
I was trying to solve the empty real-estate on the control panel. Send me a sheet of the all the buttons and stuff.
>>
>>65751715
Just send all icons on a transparent png sheet
I'll take care of rest.
>>
>>65751732
emailed the pngs
>>
>>65751665
could try using helvetica lighter font as well. (I've used helvetica neue light.)

Also use different shades of grey for text differentiating (instead of only bolding)

Also maybe make the whole player white..
>>
>>65744241
THIS
black skin is most of the time prettier than plain boring white
(…i'm talking about the player)
>>
>I learnt how to program music playing so I'm basically an internet celebrity ama
>>
>>65748054
>Maybe I should align to left just like tracks?
Totally.
>>
>>65741368
use dark metro, so much better
>>
can it scrobble to last.fm though?

that's the only thing i care about. i don't ever listen to music unless i can scrobble it to my account.
>>
How much music do you have in your library, I have 150 gb and I know there are people on mu with more. I remember a thread were someone said foobar couldn't handle their entire library.
>>
OP just give up, you have no design experience and because of this other alternatives will always be better.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.