[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is history's best guitarist and why is it Jimmy Page?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: thegod.jpg (81 KB, 980x527) Image search: [Google]
thegod.jpg
81 KB, 980x527
Who is history's best guitarist and why is it Jimmy Page?
>>
File: tumblr_l632bwQ4f21qbzv4w[1].jpg (19 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l632bwQ4f21qbzv4w[1].jpg
19 KB, 500x333
Overrated af senpai.
Better guitarist coming through.
>>
>>65719847
PARTY ROCKERS IN THE HOUSEEEEEEEE TONIGHTTTT
>>
the guy from limp bizkit
>>
>>65719540
rock guitarist for sure
damn fine acoustic player too
>>
>>65719540
Who is John Fahey?
>>
Jimmy Page's a hack
>>
>>65719867
Top kek
>>
>>65719540
Third best guitarist in The Yardbirds, maybe second at most
>>
File: Rick.jpg (44 KB, 700x506) Image search: [Google]
Rick.jpg
44 KB, 700x506
also Michael Schenker
>>
>>65719540
sure in rock but it depends what genre if it was best metal it would be Dave Mustaine
>>
Page is a fucking hack
Zappa is the king.
>>
>>65720061
a mediocre guitarist that you pretend to like to cover up your shitty taste
>>
>>65720314
/thread

Alright senpai good talk see you next week
>>
>>65719540
It's obviously Hendrix, no arguments to be made. How the hell could anyone consider Page better than Hendrix anyway?
>>
>>65720314
I used to think this until I realized that Zappa's unique style is simply a result of him not knowing what the fuck he is doing.
>>
File: Cheap Trick Guy.jpg (28 KB, 400x268) Image search: [Google]
Cheap Trick Guy.jpg
28 KB, 400x268
>>65720299
Are you even a real guitarist if you haven't given yourself kyphosis?
>>
>>65720383
> has a billion recordins
> doesnt know what he is doing

Kill yourself you pleb. His unconventional approach is what makes him a genius. Honestly ive heard some retarded opinioms but this yakes the cake.
>>
Django!
>>
>>65720560
>ive heard some retarded opinioms but this yakes the cake.
yikes

Yeah it would be pretty retarded if I was talking about Zappa overall. I'm simply referring to his guitar soloing technique. He's a brilliant composer and a solid guitarist in a lot of ways. But when it comes to soloing he really didn't seem to have a grasp on what he was doing. Just hitting random notes on the scale and seeing what would happen.

I guess you could call it a unique approach but you could also call it sucking.
>>
>>65720383
Yeah, I'm sure a dude that has written jazz fusion albums like Waka/Wajaka, The Grand Wazoo and Hot Rats, the later with a song that went to become a jazz standard, and experimental albums that merge musique concréte with orchestral music like Lumpy Gravy "doesn't know what the fuck he is doing".

Fucking retard.
>>
>>65720725
Same fagging is so unbecoming. But whatever I'll reiterate for you.

I'm not saying Zappa didn't know what he was doing in all aspects of music. Just guitar soloing. He was a brilliant composer and great musician. His guitar soloing was just lacking.
>>
Jimmy Page was good but he would just wank himself off with his guitar every time he was on stage, got old quickly.
>>
>>65720061
I usually think you're a faggot but this time you're ok
>>
>>65720948
>people are calling out my retardation
>I'll say samefag that'll show them

You have no clue what you're saying, Zappa has great phrasing and structure in his solos.
>>
>>65721050
>Zappa has great phrasing and structure in his solos.
Except he doesn't. It's the most literal form of wankery. At least when people like Vai ot Hendrix played endless solos they have a sense of what to play. It's obvious Zappa would just hit random notes and hope for the best.
>>
>>65721203
Dude, Zappa is a horrible solo guitarist, he is over repetitive, and pretty basic in his use of tone and scales.
He is a genius overall that's true.

>inb4 you don't know what you're talking about

I study music and have to analyze shit on a daily basis, so fuck you.
>>
>>65721337
sorry, this was meant to >>65721050
>>
>>65721203
Vai is soulless wankery (funny thing he was scouted for Zappa and played for him before going solo) and Hendrix playing is very basic, pentatonic blues-rock esque.

Looking at Willie the Pimp for example, in his solo you can hear an overarching story, how he mixes straight up licks with chordal improvisation to increase the dynamics and pace of the piece at his request, a mostly fast-paced solo but with Little breathers between phrase and phrase and despite most of the solo being based on a pentatonic scale, some licks are more reminiscent of bebop than blues, something only someone with a background as varied as his can do.
>>
File: 1466128582472.jpg (55 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1466128582472.jpg
55 KB, 500x375
>>65719540
of course it was jimmy hendrix. of course
>>
>>65721471
If Vai is soleless then Zappa is as devoid of life as the moon. At least Vai incorporates melody and a sense of musicality into his playing. It's still wankery but Zappa's wankery is just random bullshit with no sense of direction other than to hit random notes until he decides to move on.

>Looking at Willie the Pimp for example, in his solo you can hear an overarching story
Now I feel bad for taking you seriously at all.
>>
File: fripp.jpg (70 KB, 600x462) Image search: [Google]
fripp.jpg
70 KB, 600x462
>Jimmy Page

That's a pretty weird way to spell Robert Fripp.
>>
>>65719540
because The Song Remains the Same is the best rock song ever recorded or performed
>>
>>65721514
I thought he got the tattoos around the same time he joined the grips but when was that?

Also who is on his shirt
>>
>>65721979

Save No Quarter and Dazed and Confused, How the West Was Won is way better.
>>
>>65719847
>implying Jimi Hendrix isn't overrated af
>>
Grant green and ron asheton
>>
File: fahey_house11.jpg (83 KB, 814x1152) Image search: [Google]
fahey_house11.jpg
83 KB, 814x1152
>>65720342
ahh shit senpai you got me to reply, here's a Fahey
>>
>>65722022
if you're going to pull No Quarter on me, at least reference the one from "Listen to this Eddie"

and no, there isn't a Zeppelin performance better than TSRTS from the same titled live album, because there is no performance by anyone better than TSRTS from the same titled live album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m2FhRv8xF0
>>
File: frusciante.jpg (464 KB, 878x888) Image search: [Google]
frusciante.jpg
464 KB, 878x888
>>65719540
>who is John Frusciante?
>>
>>65719540
he's great but too sloppy to be the best
Hendrix is better, and as cliche as it is he's the indisputable best rock guitarist

overall id say Paco de Lucia or Django Reinhardt
>>
>>65722066

King Crimson - Providence, RI 6/30/74
>>
>>65722094
The GOAT
>>
>>65722094
Great songwriter. He was a great musician back before he went insane. I haven't heard anything exceptionally impressive from him as far as his actual guitar playing goes in a long time though.
>>
Sonny Sharrock
>>
>>65722137
But Hendrix is as sloppy as they come.
>>
>>65722866
Hendrix wasn't THAT sloppy and when he was he made it work. He was all about being loud and distorted as fuck with tons of feedback.

When someone like Page was sloppy it actually sounded like shit because you could tell he was trying his best to sound good at it... well it didn't.
>>
>>65722866
he wasn't sloppy he just distorted the shit out of his guitar

like >>65723224 is saying, Page sounded like he was trying to do his best but was on too much heroin to play properly, Hendrix played with nuance and attention to detail
>>
>>65722866
That sloppy sound is the sound of improvisation, when you don't spend hours on end perfecting a solo and just fucking play it by heart and see where it goes.
>>
A lot of Page's live sloppiness, especially in the late 70s was due to his massive heroin use.
>>
>>65723680
I dig Page but plenty of guitarists can improvise without sounding so sloppy.
>>
>>65721952
>>65721952
>>65721952
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.