[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Good evening fellow prodfriends. I've been working on a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (254 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
254 KB, 1920x1080
Good evening fellow prodfriends. I've been working on a solo release for a while now and it's time for me to get started on drums but I'm undecided regarding which sampler to use. After considering my needs and general musical direction I've boiled it down to Kontakt 5, Superior Drummer 2 and Steven Slate Drums 4.

Which would you choose and why?

tl;dr Need drum-sampler, can't decide.
>>
>>65686027
You've been working on a solo release for a while and are just now starting on drums? That's like saying you've been working on a painting for a while but I've only been using four of my ten colors. What. Anyways, what kind of music do you make? That's the biggest factor in deciding.
>>
Just guitar and bass parts so far because reasons but fair enough.
Heavy rock/metal with proggy vibes.
>>
>>65686291
Fair enough. Drums are the backbone of my production, so I couldn't imagine writing anything without writing drums from the start.
I'd recommend superior drummer then. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bge36qT8VpI
>>
I've used the kits in Kontakt for a few years now and i've been pretty happy with them. I've heard of Superior Drummer but not the other one you mentioned. The drums in Kontakt are very clear and unprocessed. and there are a lot of samples. Like honestly too many samples. If you aren't very familiar with programming drums, let me give you a little piece of advice. Velocity is everything. Having all of you snare, for instance, hit at the same velocity is going to make it sound like you're playing a metronome in the background of the track. Try to imagine the inflection that you would put on more/less significant notes if you were actually playing the drums.
>>
>>65686485
But honestly, I'd say that you don't even need to use a complex sampler. I, for one, use FPC for all my drums and it does fine. I go through thousands of samples to choose the nice sounding ones, and I make sure to humanize the programming.
>>
>>65686224
>i've never painted: the post
>>
>>65686638
Also, what do you mean by Kontakt? You mean the factory kits? Those are very basic and almost plastic in my opinion. They're not much different than the kits that come stock with FL and probably many other DAWs. If you mean you'd use third party sample libraries within Kontakt then yeh go for it.
>>
>>65686485
Lost track of how many times I've watched those videos. Periphery is love. My main concern with SD is that, to my knowledge, it's such a drag to import and use any kicks, snares etc that doesn't come from Toontracks products.
>>
>>65686710
There are so many great third party libraries and using them with Kontakt seems like such a breeze; which is why I'm considering it. On the other hand SD is cheaper and seems more user-friendly.
>>
>>65686710
I'm talking about the Kontakt "Studio Drummer" and "AbbeyRoad 60's Drums" and I wouldn't say that many other DAWs i've used have the greatest selection of acoustic unprocessed drums.
>>
>>65686485
If you've used third party samples with SD, how was it?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.