[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
dilemma
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: media-20160614.jpg (95 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
media-20160614.jpg
95 KB, 400x600
Mu, all I want to do is make music and play shows but what's the best way to grow a fan base online?

I'm aware of facebook, bandcamp, and soundcloud but to be honest I don't want to be bothered with having to maintain that shit.

what works for you?
>>
File: Car-Seat-Headrest-Featured[1].png (944 KB, 956x450) Image search: [Google]
Car-Seat-Headrest-Featured[1].png
944 KB, 956x450
>not endlessly spamming your shit on /mu/ and leveraging that audience into mainstream success
>>
>>65658076
quit bullying my boy
>>
>>65657898
subtle viralling on here. iglooghost and machinegirl are respected and not just known as /mu/ virallers like car seat headrest or have a nice life.
>>
>>65658135
>machinegirl
I know machinegirl "personally" but don't feel comfortable asking Matt about this...

His fb used to be very active. I don't know much about how he started out but I'd say his following grows because he's got legit good music
>>
So you want a social medium that you don't have to actually pay attention to?

How about fuck you, man. You're not going to grow a fan base if you don't give a fuck about interacting (even superficially) with your fans.
>>
>>65658346
I prefer interacting in person.

Mostly because it seems like most facebook pages for musicians are just memeing on themselves, posting things they found on the internet, and promoting their shows
>>
>>65658429

So don't "meme" yourself, just share new songs and tour dates and what have you. You don't have to do anything you don't want to, it's your page. Aspiring too hard to be like the celebrities or trying too hard to not be like them just makes you seem tryhard and inauthentic; just do you. Facebook is, whether you like it or not, the go-to medium for staying in touch with artists.

And if you're thinking "but facebook is for normies"; please just don't make music. There's nothing more disgusting than 4chan-personalities in the music industry, sacrificing authenticity for irony and bitterness in order to stay cool with the self-proclaimed internet in-crowd.
>>
>>65658076
I PAID PITCHFORK

FOR MY REVIEW
>>
>>65658561
Nah I use the fuck out of facebook.

Do you also use insta/twitter anon?
>>
>>65657898
do you have talent at all? if no, shill on /mu/. if yes, shill on /mu/ and irl.
>>
>>65658254
>I know machinegirl "personally"
well if you're friends with semi-successful musicians already you are on your way. its a lot easier being in a community of artists, playing shows together and listening to each others music. sort of a simbiotic relationship where all involved benefit.

viralling or soundcloud cheating (commenting and following people whose music you dont actually care about) can get you somewhere but it feels bad. i had over 1000 soundcloud followers on one of my accounts but it felt disingenuine and i felt like most of my follows were playing the same game as me just following me so i'd follow back.
>>
>>65658673
>viralling or soundcloud cheating

That's what I'd like to avoid, it just seems like a waste of time when I can be generating content and experiencing art that legitimately interests me.

desu I think I'm just going to play shows without a facebook page for a while as I cope with my identity crisis lol
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.