[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what is the state of rock music in 2016?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: 5finger.jpg (13 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
5finger.jpg
13 KB, 300x168
I know there's all kinds of indie shit that internet people like, but is there any new music that kids or normies listen to?
>>
Rock died
then Rap died
then electronic died
then sampling died
then revivals died
then microgenres died
>>
Some metal maybe but besides that no, rock is pretty much dead in the mainstream.
>>
>>65628075
>is there any new music that kids or normies listen to?
I'm not sure if I care anymore
>>
Its still kicking in England and Australia

1. david bowie
2. radiohead
3. king gizzard
4. the drones

America has stuff but I assume its not that popular or its not rocking enough or it rocks too much. Offhand I'd say the new Iggy Pop is the best example of its current state.
>>
>>65628245
I don't think King Gizzard or the Drones are mainstream, at least as much as OP wants. Maybe the Drones are in Australia, I don't know. Bowie's dead though and Radiohead's new album wasn't rock. Even Bowie's new album might stray too much for "normies" to consider it rock.
>>
>>65628245
North America has some great rock music being made, but it's just not becoming mainstream popular. Is that actually happening in England and Australia?
>>
>>65628270
well either way I'm switching my answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnLuBIXPxIo

I think its just barely popular enough to qualify as mainstream
>>
>>65628280
> Is that actually happening in England and Australia?
I admit it was just an assumption/postulation

also based on Everything Everything last year. Again their popularity is largely an assumption but they recently played here with Charli XCX
>>
>>65628295
US Billboard 200[26] 136
US Independent Albums (Billboard)[27] 6
>>
mac demarco
>>
>>65628075
>but is there any new music that kids or normies listen to?
Blink 182
>>
>>65628402
This, Mac Demarco is the Drake of the indie world
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aztiwn17vpE

I don't think it's too heavy to qualify
>>
This is the best up-and-coming rock band around right now. First song is normie-friendly, second is a /mu/-friendly synthesis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoFxcFMhOCE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in4F6TFZiqk
>>
>>65628075
Bring Me The Horizon
>>
>>65628412
>I know there's all kinds of indie shit
>>
>>65628075
Red Hot Chili Peppers releasing new album this week. So I'd say things are lookin good kid.
>>
>>65628472
mac demarco is listened to by normies though
>>
>>65628487
Maybe some but I think Deftones is a better answer.
>>
>>65628497
deftones at their peak of popularity yes, but i would say mac is more popular as of now
>>
>>65628518
US Billboard 200[62] Peak Position - #2
>>
>>65628539
except no. please go to a uni and see all the mac clones
>>
>>65628557
>except no.
how so? well whatever its up to OP

not to mention Mac doesnt even have an album this year anyway.
>>
>>65628557
>please go to a uni and see all the mac clones
and this is a really shit criteria

just simply see who played the bigger show most recently
>>
Mainstream "indie" is shit, the rest varies but its not the genre's best moment
>>
>>65628557
Mac clones? You mean regular hipster-ish dudes who play soft/indie pop-rock? They've existed for decades. Mac just happens to be one that broke through.
>>
>>65628075
kids these days are brainwashed into listening to garbage form a young age. the metal scene these days is awesome, rock music had kindof died, indie rock is coming back but most of its average, a few good bands out there, villany, artic monkey style of music.

really these days pick metal or electronic music to keep uptodate with new releases and stuff, and stick with it, the rest is shit.
>>
new Les Claypool/Sean Lennon is surprisingly good
>>
Parquet Courts a good
>>
Basically shit like five finger death punch but that's not mainstream.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.