[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Frank Ocean doesn't seem to understand US copyright
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: DonHenleyTour2016featured.jpg (63 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
DonHenleyTour2016featured.jpg
63 KB, 630x420
"Frank Ocean doesn't seem to understand US copyright laws. Anyone who knows anything knows you can't take a master track of a recording and write another song over top of it. You just can't do that. You can call it a tribute or whatever you want to call it, but it's against the law. That's the problem with a lot of the younger generation, they don't understand the concept of copyright and intellectual property."
>>
>>65582543
https://youtu.be/Wm-o7_VVAoU
>>
>>65582543
he just be sangin though breh it a HOMage
>>
>>65582543
If he got a hold of the master, he almost definitely got permission from the actual copyright holder,
And not this "literally who"
>>
And yet, the music industry will continue to eat the crap he bulls from his butt like it was divine ambrosia.
>>
>>65582543
There's no such thing as intellectual property. Ocean might be breaking the law, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.
>>
>sign your rights away to literally 3 of the illuminaddi-sized record labels
>mad when you don't see a check when they sell the intellectual property they now own
idiot
>>
>inb4 Big Lebowski
>>
>>65582543
>they don't understand the concept of copyright and intellectual property."
no we understand and realized how dumb it is.I can take what i want and there's nothing you can do about it
>>
Piracy is truly evil, worse than the holocaust. At least when the Germans exterminated 6 million Jews, they didn't write a song about it afterwards and make millions.
>>
He should be honored frank ocean would use it anyway
>>
>>65583433
>copyright and intellectual property laws are dumb

I guess you've never created anything in your life.
>>
>>65583618
that's like saying someone must have never owned a horse and buggy in their life cause they don't think we should keep using horses and buggies to travel in 2016
>>
>>65583618
it is a bit like that tho isn't it?

if people drive all over your intellectual property it's a misery to do anything about it

it's a bit like Bleak House, praps it's better to accept life is miserable loaded and unfair

anyway big FOcean fan, what song is it he made?
>>
>>65583687
Horse drawn carriage is a great way to travel though you fucking plebbo, only someone whose yet to experience the magic would think they're redundant so that's an entirely appropriate comparison that works to undermine your viewpoint
>>
He should just be happy he's relevant again. Nobody gives a shit about don henley now
>>
Don Henley, with a net worth of about $200 million wants to sue Frank Ocean for a song that he put out for free and made no money off of. How noble.
>>
>problem with the younger generation

i wish he would come off it and just admit that he's mad he isn't seeing a check for frank's successes lol
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD6aUcuhXH8&list=PL0249461C7EFEFB11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwpwr0MYNWc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvKTPDg0IW0
>>
>getting lectured on morality by a guy who got caught blowing coke with 15 year old prostitutes
>>
intellectual property does not exist.
>>
>>65583618
The problem is how easy it is to misuse. Most of Disney should be in the public domain, but a corporation that shouldn't even own said intellectual property anymore keeps paying off people to keep it.

It's to protect from blatant theft, sampling and creating something new should be fair use. Half of the songs in existence wouldn't exist if Pachelbel's great great great great grandchildren could claim IP.
>>
>>65584292
IT WAS THE '70S!!!!
>>
Which song is he talking about?
>>
>>65584309
Hey, why not extend this social construct to physical property? There's a mansion on the hill, I'm sure one of the rooms isn't being used; I'll just move in there.
>>
>>65588208
If you have an idea and tell me about it, you don't lose it. If I take your room, then you do.
>>
>>65582543
Frank is a prick if we being honest.
>>
It seems lazy that he can't just make his own music.

Don is 100% in the right here. You guys have obviously never written and recorded a song.
>>
>>65588610
I did though. It was super difficult. I added the guitar solo from Freebird, it sounds fuckin' bomb, not gonna change it at all, it'll be great.
>>
>>65582543
>statist scum think "intellectual property" is real
It's the equivalent of saying my big brother is going to beat you up if you copy my drawing.
>>
>>65588655
My ancap nigger?
>>
That's nigga culture for you.
>>
>>65582543
>the problem with the younger generation is that they don't understand copyright and intellectual property
has anyone ever said anything more autistic /mu/?
>>
>>65588610
>what is 99% of blues, gospel, folk
>>
>>65588675
the only kind
>>
>>65588797

Not straight ripping a master track, that's for sure dumbass.

If you don't hear the difference between Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters you shouldn't post here.
>>
>>65588859
Zeppelin sure did.
>>
>>65589064

That's your rebuttal?

Checkmate kid.
>>
>>65583551
Piracy, the taking of hostages on the open seas, is truly evil, and shouldn't be lumped in with George Harrison-tier tantrums about "muh millions of entertainment dollars." People died pal.
>>
I haven't heard what song Henley's talking about and I do think there's a certain point where using a song or parts of a song shouldn't be allowed but it really is on a case to case basis. If you do use an entire song but it's incredibly creative then that's fine, but if you're just playing an already existing track in the background and singing/rapping over it that's kind of too far.
>>
>>65582618
>Don Henley
>Literally Who

Holy shit, its warm outside.
>>
>>65582543
The thing is Frank put the song out for free so who gives a shit?
>>
>>65591198

Don Henley
>>
>>65582543
Rihanna literally did this on her album and Kevin Parker said he liked it so.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.