[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>decided to listen to David Bowie's discography in order
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: dbowie-risean_12.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
dbowie-risean_12.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1000
>decided to listen to David Bowie's discography in order
>first album is mediocre but not horrible
>second album is great and becomes one of my favorites
>thought The Man Who Sold the World was just okay save for a couple great tracks
>not looking forward to Hunky Dory after being slightly disappointed with the last lp
>Hunky Dory catches me off guard and is great, becomes my favorite Bowie so far
>gets fuckin hype for Ziggy
>first listen and nothing stuck out to me, figure I just wasn't in the right mood
>listen to it again a day later and still feel the same (except for like three tracks)
I was really underwhelmed after hearing about how amazing it was for years and I'm afraid that it might not grow to be as good as I hoped, does it take some time to grow on you? I know most people say its super entry level and easy to get into so is something up with me? Still kinda prefer Space Oddity and Hunky Dory and that kinda bums me out
>>
>>65581087
David Bowie is garbage

t. Man with functioning ears
>>
I like Hunky Dory more than Ziggy too. They're both great pop tho.
>>
>>65581087
Honestly don't worry about it. I've been going through his discography for the past couple weeks and felt the same about Ziggy; it's just ok. He sticks to a similar sound on his albums until he gets to Young Americans, which is a funk album, and a very good one too.

Just make sure to brace yourself for Never Let Me Down. It'll scar you.
>>
>>65581087
It was alright.
>>
Low is his best tho
>>
>>65581087
I feel the same way. I think I prefer nearly every other 70's Bowie album to this
>>
I like lets dance the most honestly. Also the Scottish cover of the man who sold the world was far better desu
>>
I listened to his entire discography a few years back and I'll be the first to say that his music has not aged well for the most part

I'm also a huge Prince fan and that hasn't aged at all for me though, I've heard all of his shit too
>>
>>65581801
No music has actually aged well
>>
Hunky Dory, Space Oddity and Heroes are his best
>>
File: 92fd.png (138 KB, 556x692) Image search: [Google]
92fd.png
138 KB, 556x692
>>65581820
lol
>>
Ziggy is full of hit songs everyone recognizes, that's why it's so acclaimed. As a full album it's not that special, and I too prefer Hunky Dory. Compare their sounds as well - Ziggy is a poprock/glam record, while Hunky Dory is a proto-indie record, foreshadowing lot's of concepts which are to be amulated by indierockers for years to come. Ziggy is your dads favorite record, not yours.
>>
>>65581087
Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane are his best
>>
>>65581878
>album full of hit songs is not that special

Contrarian post is contrarian. Ziggy and Hunky Dory aren't that different, they both had a huge influence on indie music.
>>
>>65581989
Didn't intend to be contrarian, just meant that it captures a very different feeling. A feeling more akin to a good radio channel than a good album. I like them both a lot though, Rise and Fall is an 8, Hunky Dory is a 9.
>>
>FIIIIIVE YEEEEARS
>>
It's the most accessible album of his glam phase, produced the most hits. You can't deny its greatness - it's straightforward and performed phenomenally - but I still don't think it's his best...

The way I see it:
Hunky Dory > Aladdin Sane > Ziggy Stardust > Diamond Dogs > Pin Ups
>>
>>65581087
ziggy took a while to grow on me. Station to Station and Low are his best albums though.
>>
>>65581087
Blackstar is literally his best album.
>>
Ziggy is only really amazing if it's your first Bowie album.

Also how can you think the 67 debut is not horrible? It's fucking abysmal.
>>
>>65582253
when you've listened to tonight, never let me down, tin machines 1 and 2 and club bowie, it's honestly not that terrible
>>
>>65581820
yes some has lol
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 290x324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 290x324
>>65581820
The concept of aging in music is completely subjective anyway so I don't see why you're remarking on it
>>
I don't necessarily think it's his best glam rock album either. A lot of the songs could be interchangeable with Aladdin Sane's songs, but an important aspect of Ziggy Stardust is the excellent execution of his persona.
>>
He was the laughing gnome and you couldn't catch him.
>>
>>65582271
It's way worse than those.
Confused out of touch Bowie > Pop sell-out Bowie > le meme kid bowi
>>
I still feel like Ziggy Stardust is somewhat incomplete. I wonder how would it be if the final cut had other songs from the same era, like Velvet Goldmine, All the Young Dudes and Port of Amsterdam. Shit, someone contact that guy from Albums that Never Were.
>>
It Ain't Easy and Hang on to Yourself spoil the album for me. Five Years, Moonage Daydream, Lady Stardust and Rock and Roll Suicide are still GOAT, though. I guess in the end I just want more of Hunky Dory.
>>
>>65581087
ziggy is one of those albums that seem nostalgic to you after only listening to it a few times

there's a sorta magical atmosphere around it
>>
Five Years is the perfect opener, if that didn't set you up and fully immerse you in the album then it's probably not for you I guess
>>
>>65581738
agreed
>>
>>65581087
Its a taste thing. It clicks with some people and doesnt with others. Considering this is a site full of straight teenagers, it'd be hard for them to fully embrace the pure unadulterated glam of Ziggy Stardust and all its fabulousness.

Also /mu/tants would probably really like Earthling if they gave it an honest chance.
>>
>>65581493
Young Americans is the first Bowie album I ever got, back in 1997 or so.

20 years later, I still think it's a criminally underrated masterpiece that just gets better with age.

Easily one of if not his strongest album, on completely equal footing with Hunky Dory, Scary Monsters, and the best of the Berlin albums.

That drugged-out psychedelic funk/soul, man. What I'd give to be partying with him and Lennon as they recorded it.
>>
Keep on plugging, OP, Scary Monsters is and the Berlin albums are truly the GOAT
>>
the best bowie era was outside-earthling-hours

nothing will ever top that
>>
I've only ever really sat down and listened to Low (which was fucking rad) so I have no real stake in Bowie, but from what I have heard of his other work it seemed pretty meh.
>>
>>65583736
this
>>
Personally, I liked him better when he was David Jones, and had bands like The King Bees, and The Lower Third.
>>
>>65581087
Honestly fair enough, but I listened to Ziggy for the first time two days ago and am wholly in love at the moment. To be fair though my expectations weren't very high going in, weirdly I'd only heard people talk about the three Berlin albums before this.
>>
>all these people who started with Berlin Trilogy
>>
>>65584024
>Also /mu/tants would probably really like Earthling if they gave it an honest chance.
true this
Bowie had a brief comeback in the 90s and Earthling is a great example. lots of cool synthesizers and jungle influence. it might sound bad to people who are huge jungle/drill n bass fans but it ain't bad for what it is.
>>
>>65581801
It gets worse after let's dance but picks up after Outside, you need to realise he does more than just rocky stuff
>>
>>65582560
This
>>
Hunky Dory>Ziggy
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.