[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NEED NEW BANDS TO LISTEN TO DESPERATELY
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: DarbyCrash.png (115 KB, 350x293) Image search: [Google]
DarbyCrash.png
115 KB, 350x293
Hi /mu/

I have a problem.

I've become stagnant in my music tastes.

I've been listening to the same albums for the past 5 years now and it's about time i found some new great pieces of music to jam to.

So im gonna give you a list of my favorite bands, and im gonna hope you guys can provide me with some new bands to listen to that i will enjoy.

Bands:
>The Germs
>Dead Kennedys
>The Velvet Underground
>Iggy Pop
>Joy Division
>The Ramones
>Bad Brains
>The Dictators
>Misfits
>The Monks
>Nirvana
>Butthole Surfers
>The Doors
>The Urinals
>Black Flag
Will listen to and give feedback. Thanks.
>>
Kate bush bjork ride Slowdive the smiths arca oneotrix point never
>>
the homosexuals
not joking btw
>>
File: yobbb.png (182 KB, 427x700) Image search: [Google]
yobbb.png
182 KB, 427x700
>>65578415
OP here.

Kate Bush - Never heard will look into

Bjork - heard of, but isnt she icelandic pop? not sure if would like

Slowdice - never heard of will look into

The Smiths - heard of, fucking hate morriseys fucking crooning voice its ridiculous, but my best friend absolutely loves them, so i get the hype. Sorry smiths fans.
>>
>>65578357
At The Drive In
Sonic Youth
My Bloody Valentine
Slint
Darkside
Minutemen
Dinosaur Jr.
Radiohead
Jeff Buckley
>>
>>65578481
It's cool if you don't like smiths, I just really enjoy jangle pop and Johnny Mars melodies.
>>
>>65578357
Wire
Crass
The Fall
>>
>>65578481
How about you actually try listening to stuff you wanker
>>
>>65578357
Cul De Sac
Blanck Mass
Snowing
The Hotelier
Guided By Voices
Low
Have A Nice Life
Sunny Day Real Estate
>>
File: asdad.jpg (55 KB, 551x551) Image search: [Google]
asdad.jpg
55 KB, 551x551
>>65578489
OP here again.

Im just going to address any bands that i already may be familiar with.

>Sonic Youth: ive listened to a few of their songs and so far i like them, i need to listen to their whole albums

>My Bloody Valentine: I would never. Im sorry, no offense to MBV fans either but id just never.

Minutemen - Yes.

Dinosaur Jr. - Heard one song by them, it was alright. Know J Mascis played guitar for GG allin lol

Radiohead - too hipster for me sorry
>>
>>65578357
You might like Jason Aldean. Start off with "Relentless" (his s/t is incredibly forgettable imo) and work your way through the rest of his discography.
>>
>>65578581
>Radiohead - too hipster for me sorry

do you live under a rock?
>>
File: igor.jpg (3 KB, 122x125) Image search: [Google]
igor.jpg
3 KB, 122x125
>>65578656
OP here.

No. I can say, if you couldnt conclude from the list i posted that i'm primarily a punk rock fan so as a result im also very judgemental of other music genres and bands.

Radiohead is one of those for me, don't like the sound.
>>
>>65578581
>Sonic Youth: ive listened to a few of their songs and so far i like them, i need to listen to their whole albums
Try Daydream Nation and Washing Machine

>My Bloody Valentine: I would never. Im sorry, no offense to MBV fans either but id just never.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Bullet For My Valentine? A lot of people get them confused. Alan McGee, the head of their label, called them the English Husker Du. Try Isn't Anything or You Made Me Realise.

>Dinosaur Jr. - Heard one song by them, it was alright. Know J Mascis played guitar for GG allin lol
Try You're Living All Over Me

>Radiohead - too hipster for me sorry
Not really hipster since they are pretty popular. Try The Bends.
>>
>>65578736
they're literally one of the most popular bands in the world, nothing hipster about them.
>>
Okay here goes:

>Blatz: obscure east bay hardcore band, real fucking good punk rock sound

>Opressed Logic: Another east bay hardcore band, angry crossover kind of sound.

>A.O.A- All Out Attack- a really good ancient and obscure Scottish hardcore band - you won't find any of their stuff w/o digging a lot on youtube.

>Kronstadt Uprising- more obscure hardcore with a really authentic Oi! Sound.

>Agent Orange- Probably the most well known band on this list- great orange county punk with a lot of surf influence.

You'd probably like all these bands I have a lot more suggestions if you want them
>>
The Wipers
Shellac
Fugazi
Dope Body
Hot Snakes
>>
>>65578804
I second fugazi
>>
>>65578795
He literally has the original hipsters in his favorite bands list
>>
>>65578357
Wow, it's hard to imagine that anyone on /mu/ still has this kind of taste. How old are you?
>>
File: yos.jpg (6 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
yos.jpg
6 KB, 170x170
>>65578803
OP here.

Yes i'll take some more.

>>65578804
Those sound good. Ive heard good things about the wipers and fugazi.
>>
File: yoba4.jpg (5 KB, 164x170) Image search: [Google]
yoba4.jpg
5 KB, 164x170
>>65578858
OP here.

Im 19 years old.
>>
>>65578916
Okay cause I actually thought you were some 40 year old guy who got lost on the way to electricalaudio. Actually now I see there's no way that could be true, looking at some of the stuff in this thread that you say you've never heard.
>>
>>65578536
2nd these

modern lovers
wipers
the chameleons
the feelies
monochrome set
bauhaus
devo
>>
so like you know punk music has been made after 1985 right

NASA Space Universe
Orchid
Lord Snow
Lumpy & The Dumpers
Dawn of Humans
Wet Brain
Institue
Iceage
Glue
Mayyors
Gutter Gods
La Bella
>>
>>65578894
Ok cool

>Legion of parasites- More obscure Oi!

>Rf7- really good orange county hardcore band - kind of sounds like bad religion with dayglo abortions' vocalist.

>Subhumans- one of the founding bands of anarcho-punk- a lot of very very cool guitar work with some ska influences

>Government Issue- DC hardcore - from same area and era as minor threat and bad brains.

>S.O.A- State of Alert- Henry rollins' first band- one of the founding Dischord bands

>Reagan Youth- sarcastic, offensive new york punk- a lot of poking fun at 80's American life.

>OFF!- Keith morris' current band- very reminiscent of circle jerks/black flag

>Gang Green- Booze-fueled, very fast hardcore that sometimes takes on more of an alternative sound
>>
>>65578736
>>65578736
yeah but you also know jack shit about punk and have a 14 year old's view of it as a genre and concept/of music in general
>>
>>65578894
Check out Minor Threat too while you're at it. Figured that flavor of post-hardcore was more up your alley given your taste. Also try:

Black Eyes
Gang of Four
Noyes
Flesh Rag
Pneu
The Fucking Champs
Kyuss
Parquet Courts
>>
>>65578357

I'm just going to go ahead and rec you some great super obscure hardcore punk bands that I fucking love:

Perdition
Bog People
Morpheme
Mellakka
Kaaos
Riistetyt
Framtid
the Screamers
PUKE
Aghast
S.S.R

Etc..
>>
>>65579187
I'm involved heavily in the northern cali scene and I can name dozens of great local bands for you if you want. I have a pretty all encompassing spotify playlist if you'd like me to post it here
>>
>King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Willoughby's Beach
>Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Primary Colours
>The Saints - Eternally Yours

You also might like The Pogues and Grinderman
>>
>>65579130
o also

L.O.T.I.O.N.
Cemetery
Wipers
Lync
Plastic
Sexdrome
Weed
Raspberry Bulbs
Drunkdriver
>>
File: yoba2.jpg (169 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
yoba2.jpg
169 KB, 1280x853
>>65579194
i dont know how you surmised all that from my post but i disagree.

Ive read quite a bit on punk history. I know and have listened to alot more bands than i listed, such as suicidal tendencies, fear, sex pistols, bad religion, adolescents, but i just listed my top favorites and what ive been listening to the most.
>>
I'll just post the playlist just hit shuffle and enjoy

http://open.spotify.com/user/otto13371/playlist/7HPrzgce02aJPNDXlK1Ukc
>>
>>65579266
fuck also

KARP
False Punk
Hoover
The Jesus Lizard
Perdition
Coachwhips
>>
>>65579268
What would you recommend in terns of Russian or Slavic punk?
>>
>>65578581
>>My Bloody Valentine: I would never
why?
you're not confusing them with Bullet For My Valentine, are you?
>>
>>65579233
Whats good in your town?
That isn't grindcore/pv
>>
>>65579268
You have a very very basic knowledge of it and seem to be completely out of touch with modern punk. I'm positive you've never been to a real punk show, and reading abput poorly-aged 80s "classics" on wikipedia means nothing.
>>
>>65579322
There's actually a really big ska revival going on right now. We have a lot of gothy hardcore too but more notably we have a lot of really great ska/rocksteady/ska-core bands in the general area.
>>
>>65579268
not the same guy but why didn't you just ask for punk recommendations if that's what you were after?
>>
>>65578357
seconding Dope Body. i listened to a lot punk, post-hardcore, and screamo at 19 and went on to get into post-punk, noise rock, and Death Grips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqxe3NZKYL0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRi4zmoxumE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFU_1h7io0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49B5f6awKOg
>>
>>65579392
Because he doesn't want punk, presumably because he's sick of it, but he also tends to hate things that are punk, so he wants us to find for him that one magical band that'll get him into all that non-punk music that he doesn't even like, even though we don't know him at all, we don't even know if it's a "him".

OP you should make your own music, if you don't already.
>>
File: byfo.png (59 KB, 488x315) Image search: [Google]
byfo.png
59 KB, 488x315
>>65579350
Id say i have a very extensive knowledge punk from 1974-1990.

I've been to one punk rock show in my life. And that was NO-FX. But no awesome punk bands were still together now and damn sure arent playing near me.

So oh well.

>>65579308
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LZIEd5EPCI

only the finest
>>
I'm actually in a similar position, but I need more hip hop to listen to. I've been out of the game for a while. My favorite new artist in the last few years is A$AP Rocky and I liked TPAB well enough.
>>
>>65579533
doom and ka are maybe the best out there right now (doom might be past his prime tho)
>>
>>65579533
That new Aesop Rock was tight but it might not be your thing. Not sure how long you haven't been paying attention but check out Run The Jewels and Run The Jewels 2 if you missed them.
>>
>>65579533
eh, I'll bite
Isaiah Rashad
Psyche Origami
Mac Miller
Jeremiah Jae
Vince Staples
Milo
>>
>>65578536
these are the best suggestions in this thread desu
>>
OP, give Hüsker Dü a try
Though it's worth mentioning New Day Rising is the last album their music is really punk and hard, at least to your tastes
>>
Same thing with me, except it's even narrower. I've listened to the entire discography of The Smiths more times tham I'm willing to admit, some albums by The Cure (also ad nauseam but not as extremely as with The Smiths) and recently I'm starting to look into playing Nightfall in Middle-Earth 3 times a day or more

I only started having any actual interest in music about 2 or 3 years ago and it seems I can't let an album go until I can't play it without feeling physically ill. I also bought into /mu/ memes and played In the Aeroplane over the Sea at least a couple dozen times before getting tired of it
>>
>>65579846
his tastes are shit as fuck
>>
richard hell and the voidoids, swans, capn jazz, lync, gang of four, mission of burma, drive like jehu, fugazi. probably you know some of these

also second >>65578536
>>
>>65579932
also get into the good kind of post hardcore, no wave, and post punk generally. presumably you have the wikipedia chops to find more stuff than we can recommend anyway
>>
>>65579904
you need some depeche mode in your life
>>
>>65580026
Surprisingly you hit the nail in the head, I'll have to look up more of their stuff when it's a saner time of the day
>>
>>65578357

a couple of these may have been mentioned...

adolescents, bl'ast, crime, dead boys, dicks, fear, jerry's kids, killing joke, kraut, lack of knowledge, modern lovers, new york dolls, nikki sudden, poison idea, radio birdman, t.s.o.l., television, the buzzcocks, the only ones, the soft boys, wire, zounds

lmk what u think op :D
>>
>all these people crying because op doesn't like their recs
op has better taste than the majority of posters on this board.
radiohead? seriously?

check out lightning bolt if you're still here op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T73eLMxhvgk
>>
>>65578581
don't tell me you're confusing MBV with Bullet for my valentine
>>
OP evidently has taste in 80s punk music so /mu/ recommends him shoegaze and Radiohead

dear lord

OP try:
>Dangers
>The Chariot
>The Locust
>The Rival Mob
>Coke Bust
>Infest
>Dropdead
>Ringworm
>GAZA
>Converge
>>
Reminder that Avataring and Requesting outside of /r/ and /wsr/ is against Global Rules.

If you complain about /mu/ being awful do something about it.
>>
Just listen to Animal Collective and be woke.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.