[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There any real advantage to vinyl or is it just a hipster fetish?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1
There any real advantage to vinyl or is it just a hipster fetish?
>>
there's plenty of them but the trusties fucked it up for everyone else so now you have to buy CDs so that people don't associate you with them
>>
>>65578120
No. It fucking sucks, it's overpriced, most records these days are manufactured cheaply, they are easily damaged, a pain in the ass to store, they don't sound better than cd's, they degrade easily, if you don't have a climate controlled room they can warp. Just buy cd's anon.
>>
yes but the disadvantages outweigh them
>>
>>65578168
>CDs
It's like I'm actually in 1995.
>>
>>65579032
Would you rather vinyl that is easily damaged and degrades each time you play it?
>>
CDs aren't going anywhere any time soon. There's no other media format that can match them on price.
>>
>>65578120
As someone who has collected vinyl records for quite a while, I can assure you there is not an advantage.
>>
>>65579158
>>65579255

What is iTumes?
>>
>>65579394
>iTumes
Is that the knockoff Chinese version of iTunes?
>>
As a vinyl hipster, I can assure you there is no real advantage. It looks cool, and sounds good. But there's no real advantage over a CD unless you have some pimped out tube amped stereo system in a room with sound-proofing and bass traps.
>>
It sounds better on the radio than most other formats. I didn't really notice til I heard the difference broadcasting.
>>
Vinyl was taken away from consumers in the 80s due to a conscious decision by the industry to fuck you over, not less demand.
>>
>>65579512
Don't believe it desu.
>>
>>65578120
I like vinyl records, I like CDs, tapes are shit though.
>>
>>65579032
>It's like I'm actually in 1995.

CDs are cheaper. More variety to select from regarding mixes and masters. And you get a physical copy on top of all that, which you can thus rip and convert into any format you desire for use elsewhere..
>>
Music sounds better when it's more inconvenient to listen to.
>>
I believe it actually sounds cleaner, and it's easier to hear all the instruments playing the song, but you have to buy good record player.
>>
Some will argue better sound quality, which may be true, but you'd need a proper sound system for it. I'm in it for the novelty.
>>
I have no idea how the vinyl revival happened. Did a couple of rich hipsters with daddy's money walk into SME's offices one day and demand to be sold vinyl albums?
>>
>>65581375
>I have no idea how the vinyl revival happened.

People are getting bored as shit with the Internet spoonfeeding everything to them.
>>
What is a hobby
>>
>>65581375
Novelty.
>>
can we stop making these threads now
it's [current year], the revival's been going on for decades now, if you still don't get it you never will
>>
>>65582948
>revival
I don't know what the fuck you people are talking about, it never fully died.
>>
This thread happens every other week.

Here is the technical difference if you know about sound engineering at all:
http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)

Basically, depends on your sound system, with an optimal CD and Vinyl sound system, Vinyl is probably superior.

But you may not have the money for that, and may not be even able to hear it if you aren't a super audiophile. So it's just about preference. The less-technical, more noticeable difference is the crackle and pop on a vinyl, CDs on the other hand sound super clean. Listen to one, see if you prefer it.

But if your sound system is trash, anything you play through it will sound trash anyway.
>>
>>65581511
Masturbating. It's very popular.
>>
>>65579032
cds peaked in early 00s you idiot
>>
>>65583042
How is that superiority calculated?
>>
>>65579512
>Radio was taken away from consumers in the 60s due to a conscious decision by the industry to fuck you over, not less demand.
>>
>>65578168
They're literally the best format.
>>
Will we ever get a new physical format for audio like we got Blu-ray for movies? I know the SACD tried to be a thing and failed. CDs just seem archaic at this point
>>
Old vinyls always sound like shit. Even some of the new ones.
I bought Daft Punk's Discovery reissued on vinyl from FYE. So it's brand spanking new.
It sounds mediocre compared to the digital copy I have on iTunes.
Like the other anon said the crackle and pop is there. Even on newer shit.

>Rich hobby for hipster fags
>>
You need to spend about 10k on a stereo for a CD to match the quality of vinyl.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhY7Mf1nqok

All these liars.
>>
>>65583740
What about giant Nintendo DS-like Cartridges? (No bigger than a CD)
Not only will they play music, but, on certain Music players they have special features:
Animated Covers
Music Videos
Mini Games
And possibly updates like adding newer tracks as opposed to re-releasing the same album with bonus tracks.
>>
People here listen to Kanya and K pop, they consider eminem the best rapper ever.

Do you really want to hear what they have to say about music?
>>
>>65583760
Here, let me correct this post for you

>I'm a retard who likes daft punk
>Because I am a retard, presumably I do not know how to have a proper set up
>I bought a Crosley or some equivalent to one
>The Daft Punk album was digitally mastered, too

>durr durr hipster *farts*

mouthbreather shit
>>
Buying old or used vinyl makes sense, some music is hard or impossible to find on CD that's available on vinyl. Sometimes if there is a CD version, the CD might have worse mastering than the original vinyl.
>>
>>65580446
worst opinion on the whole thread
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.