[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any songs that truly fucked you up when you learned
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9
File: 1465321201204.gif (2 MB, 320x179) Image search: [Google]
1465321201204.gif
2 MB, 320x179
Are there any songs that truly fucked you up when you learned the meaning behind them?
>>
Yeah... Bohemian rhapsody...
>>
maybe Jordan, Minnesota
>>
>>65509854
theres no meaning behind bohemian rhapsody, at least not an official one
>>
Limousine
>>
Modest Mouse-Ansel
>>
You guys are so fucking gay
>>
>>65511957
That's a pretty good song
>>
>>65511975
Best on the album
>>
>>65509869
>In an interview with Evelyn Morris for LISTEN which focused on Shellac’s relationship with gender issues and feminism, Steve Albini specifically addressed an number of his songs, including “Jordan, Minnesota”:

>This song, inspired by news reports of a purported child sex abuse ring in the town of Jordan Minnesota, might be the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever had to own up to. Read the news reports of the day, and they all took at face value the preposterous accounts of an ambitious prosecutor, who groomed and falsified testimony from children as young as three or four. They painted a hellscape where children were regularly raped and traded between adults as sex objects. There was a round of scurrilous prosecutions and eventually some poor son of a bitch was scapegoated off to prison, but the whole thing was a sham. None of it happened. It fit the national mania at the time to find child sex predators, and it fit my personal pretension that all of us, all of humanity, is capable of both the most elevated and most depraved acts imaginable. I am deeply sorry I was duped, and if this song perpetuates the impression that these people were actually doing these things, then it’s caused harm, and I’m sorry for that as well. There is literally no way I can make up for that.

I didn't know that's what it was about though
>>
Street Spirit (Fade Out)

>'Street Spirit' is our purest song, but I didn't write it. It wrote itself. We were just its messengers. It's biological catylysts.
>
>It's core is a complete mystery to me. I wouldn't ever try to write something that hopeless. All of our saddest songs have somewhere in them at least a glimmer of resolve - 'Street Spirit' has no resolve. It is the dark tunnel without the light at the end.
>
> I detach my emotional radar from that song, or I couldn't play it. I'd crack. I'd break down on stage. That's why its lyrics are just a bunch of mini-stories or visual images as opposed to a cohesive explanation of its meaning. I used images set to the music that I thought would convey the emotional entirety of the lyric and music working together. That's what's meant by 'all these things are one to swallow whole'. I meant the emotional entirety, because I didn't have it in me to articulate the emotion. I'd crack.
>
>Our fans are braver than I to let that song penetrate them, or maybe they don't realize what they're listening to. They don't realize that 'Street Spirit' is about staring the f--king devil right in the eyes... and knowing, no matter what the hell you do, he'll get the last laugh.
>
>The devil really will get the last laugh in all cases without exception, and if I let myself think about that to long, I'd crack.

That puts the line "Immerse your soul in love" in a very dark and deeply ironic light, as if the concept of love is just a coping mechanism to """fight""" against all that is dark in the world, despite it being as meaningless as doing taxes or sniffing farts. It really is a depressing stance.
>>
Dance of the Devil - Immortal Technique
>>
>>65513495
Everyone always remembers where they were when they first heard that song
>>
Brown Shoes Don't Make It
Slug Bait
Hamburger Lady
>>
Every Linkin Park song.
Bennington had a story with hard drugs and and was sexually abused from 7 to 13 years old, and was basically disattached from the social dogma. Most songs reflect that period.

You thought it was edgy shit, but it was actually all REAL, man.
>>
File: Darnielle1.jpg (112 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Darnielle1.jpg
112 KB, 600x600
All of Moon Colony Bloodbath
>>
The concept of the song Discipline from King Crimson's album Discipline has radically changed my entire approach with writing and performing music. That's just Fripp in general though
>>
File: patrick.jpg (182 KB, 816x816) Image search: [Google]
patrick.jpg
182 KB, 816x816
>>65509832
Primus - Bob

>tfw you realize the guy who killed himself was a skinhead (doc marten's shoes on, head shaved)
>tfw you are a skinhead
>>
>>65511916
I can only imagine how heartwrenching it would have been if he had written a song about that story on M&A. I know it happened around that time or right after.
>>
HAMBURGER LADY
>>
Long May You Run. I thought it was a heartfelt song about Neil Young and Stephen Still'a friendship. Then I found out it was about Neil's car and I can't enjoy it anywhere near as much.
>>
Finding out that Cocker didn't make Deborah up, and that she died of bone marrow cancer 2 years ago.
>>
>>65516772
>that Candida Doyle cutout in the background
>>
>>65513016
jesus christ what a fucking faggot
>>
>>65516947
rude
>>
>>65516947
Agreed 2bh
>>'Street Spirit' is our purest song, but I didn't write it. It wrote itself. We were just its messengers. It's biological catylysts.
Holy fuck, drop more acid.
>>
Literally all of ITAOS
Had no idea what album was about the first time I listened to it
second time around was a lot more emotional
>>
>>65517195
What? Some songs like Holland 1945 and KOCF pt1 are pretty in your face.
>>
>>inb4 pumped kicks
>>
>>65517195
Me too. It was haunting and really emotional

But now I overplayed it and don't feel anything when listening to it anymore
>>
>"Come Dancing" is a tribute to the Davies brothers' sister Rene. Living in Canada with her reportedly abusive husband, the 31-year-old Rene was visiting her parental home in Fortis Green at the time of Ray Davies' thirteenth birthday—21 June 1957—on which she surprised him with a gift of the Spanish guitar he had tried to persuade his parents to buy him.[2] That evening, Rene, who had a weak heart as a result of a childhood bout of rheumatic fever, suffered a fatal heart attack while dancing at the Lyceum ballroom.
>>
File: aero plane over the seea.jpg (24 KB, 500x407) Image search: [Google]
aero plane over the seea.jpg
24 KB, 500x407
>>65517346
Same problem :(
>>
Beautiful Child of sWans
its about an abortion
>>
File: knife.jpg (29 KB, 574x322) Image search: [Google]
knife.jpg
29 KB, 574x322
Valentines Day, genuinely liked it as a somewhat new cool bowie song, sounded up beat and had some nice guitar, bit of a intentional mismatch of lyrics and sound methinks.
>>
>>65509869
I was just reading about that song earlier today, pretty disturbing
>>
>>65509869
THIS WILL STAY WITH YOU UNTIL YOU DIE
>>
Lola. When I was a kid I just loved the way it sounded, how it rhymed everything with "Lola". Then I became a teenager, the internet became a thing, and it wasn't too long before I discovered it was about a tranny prostitute.
>>
Norwegian Wood
>>
suffer little children by the smiths
>>
Song to Comus. The "COMUS RAPE" part is obscured and hard to hear so I completely missed it. The song has such a childish charm to it too.
>>
Ben Folds Five - Brick
>>
>>65513664
First couple of albums dealt with that stuff, apparently. The only ones worth listening to are the two that came after Minutes To Midnight. Lyrically A Thousand Suns has nothing to do with Chester's personal life, it's all about the self destructive nature of mankind (to put it very generally). Living Things isn't a concept album from what I can tell and unless the lyrics are highly allegorical they're nothing to do with his life, at least that I can make out.
>>
File: 1342373122084.jpg (19 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1342373122084.jpg
19 KB, 500x500
Lucette Stranded On the Island
>>
True love waits radiohead....
>>
As weird as it is, "Roses" by OutKast really fucked me up. Once I was in college I had a pretty big OutKast phase and relistening to it for the first time in over a decade it really fucked me up realizing the entire song is about the idea monogamy and true love is a fraud. Fucking bleak man.
>>
>>65521048
whats the meaning?
>>
>>65513495
how can you not grasp the meaning of that song upon first listen
>>
she's lost control
>>
Any Swans song, they all come from a rapist
>>
>>65522293
A man takes a girl off of a cruise ship on a date. And beats, rapes, and cuts her throat, then goes back on the ship leaving her for dead.

The song is from her POV as she slowly goes mad from trauma and dies as birds sing overhead.
>>
>>65520932
Came here to say this.
>>
>>65509832
>Got To Get You Into My Life
>it's about weed
>>
>>65522377
Any lostprophets song, they all come from a child rapist
>>
Family Snapshot
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh9wIVZBhT0
>I wanna be somebody
>You were like that too
>If you don't get given, you learn to take
>And I WILL TAKE YOU
>>
File: 1433016561684.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1433016561684.gif
2 MB, 250x250
>>65522577
Damn...
>>
Had this SJW humanities professor that would break down at the thought of Clapton's 'Tears in Heaven' though, being a parent now and thinking about it, it is sad as fuck. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tears_in_Heaven
>>
Chuck Berry - Maybellene
>>
>>65517680
Word and the music video turns out to be sinister af.
>>
Can everyone please posts what these songs' meanings are when they post them because I haven't got a clue what some of these are about and can't be arsed to look them up.

Anyway, I always thought "Everything I Own" by Bread was just about a break-up, but it's actually about the bloke who wrote it's Dad dying, and it's much sadder when you know that.
>>
>>65517541
I always thought that one was about intrusive thoughts and about a man holding a child and thinking that they could kill it, but not actually wanting to. I think that's why the last line is "Get out of my head"
>>
>>65517680
Similarly, Everyone Says Hi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmEnRtMaeCo
The words are so simple and happy but the sadness sneaks up on you.
>>
>>65523159
Related: https://youtu.be/Aa-eo-tsaso
>>
Scream by Avenged Sevenfold. It's about rape.
>>
>>65522708
Man fuck...
>>
WELCOME TO THE HOTEL CALIFORNIA
>>
>>65522377
Maybe his music is so good because that whole aesthetic isn't an act.
>>
>>65524548
>>65520644
>>65513664
>>65521021
>>65513495
>>65509854
>>65510319
I'm getting fucking sick of all these teenage edgelords
>>
no but in LYSF, the song featuring the clip of the redneck saying shit like "what're we gonna do with the baby" is pretty fucked up.
>>
>>65511785
this this this. did cry
>>
Rosetta Stoned by Tool is a like an entire Sci-Fi novel to me.
>>
>>65522597
the moors murder kinda make me laugh though, just cause they hindly and Co. has no motive whatsoever
>>
>>>songmeanings.com
>>
>>65513528
good observation, i recall vividly.
>>
>>65525596
Joke's on you I'm only 12

[spoiler]I'm not actually 12[/spoiler]
>>
>>65527172
yeah 12 year olds know how to spoiler tag
>>
>>65520771
(this bird has flown)
>>
The Leper Affinity by Opeth is about rape
>>
>>65527862
(((The bird has flown)))
>>
>>65517524
fuck, I have a new fetish
>>
>>65509832
Halfway to a Threeway
>>
>>65509832
all of burzum's music
>>
>>65529077
reeeeeeeeeeallly

You couldn't figure it out from the strong Norwegian nationalistic art or song titles like What Once Was
>>
Daniel Johnson - Careless Soul

The music was always enough but watching the Devil and Daniel Johnson adds a new dimension to it.
>>
NIN - Hurt

that entire album fucked me up but this one in particular
>>
>>65521000
game grumps etc
>>
The Police - Every Breath you Take.

i never paid too much attention until i saw the song on """"""""""""""""""""""""""""Teens React"""""""""""""""""""""
>>
Tool - Prison Sex
>>
Soundgarden - Like Suicide

Chris Cornell killed a bird with a brick to put it out of its misery
>>
>>65529347
Tool - H.
>>
Lisa Germano - A Psychopath
>>
deerhunter - helicopter has a pretty fucked up story behind it. Also helps that it's the bands best song by far
>>
>>65530274
I love that song and had no idea about it's backstory, thanks.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.