[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
They nearly brought psychedelia and prog back to the mainstream.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (408 KB, 1152x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
408 KB, 1152x768
They nearly brought psychedelia and prog back to the mainstream. Why did the media and journalists cock block them?
>>
They did? I've never heard a bad word about the Volta.
>>
yeah I know right? they were like the chicano linkin park idk why they never got big
>>
Frances the Mute is amazing but they're pretentious as fuck. Not that that's objectively a bad thing but it's wehy people don't like them
>>
It's nu-metal post-hardcore with bits of prog thats a good enough reason
>>
>Chicano Linkin Park
>Mars Volta nu metal
Jesus, I hate this board.
>>
It was really just Pitchfork. They got a lot of love, and were very, very popular for a band like them. Tool is the only other recent band I can think of that got away with being so pretentious and still maintained a huge mainstream following.

If anyone cock blocked them, it was themselves, twice. The first time was when they broke up At the Drive-In, the second is when they did a complete u-turn on Octahedron after winning a grammy with Bedlam in Goliath, and then decided to essentially break up for three years before Noctourniquet.
>>
the average mainstream music fan couldn't deal with their music after they stopped breaking up 15 minute long songs into different parts
>>
>>65484606
>Why did the media and journalists cock block them?

maybe they should have made good music to subvert this
>>
>>65484606
>mariachi slipknot
>>
>>65484606

Because they're racist spics
Build wall
>>
>>65484811
It's retro Led Zeppelin inspired nu-metal prog with post-hardcore
>>
>>65484814
Also, I get the sense Omar just got bored after Frances the Mute. His ~20 odd solo albums are as interesting as the later Mars Volta albums. Frances the Mute is the last time he got all his ideas fully down into one cohesive piece.

>>65484827
Their last two albums were mostly made up of standard length pop rock songs.

>>65484846
>nu metal
Is this just a term you use to describe anything you don't like?
>>
>>65484814
> Octahedron
They dropped the ball hard on that one..Still wish I could have seen them live.
>>
>>65484838
Omar is from Puerto Rico. How the fuck are you gonna be walls for people coming from an island?
>>
>>65484859
They are influenced by nu-metal though
I mean come on they even have rick rubin
>>
>>65484871

He can help build the wall no matter where he's from
>>
>>65484838
Found the sheep
>>
>>65484606
>emo santana
>>
>>65484889
They had Rick Rubin on one album, yes, and then talked shit about him for years after. Was Adele also influenced by nu metal?
>>
They were just too "weird" to fill the gap that Tool left open for mainstream prog between Lateralus and 10,000 Days. Mainly because they did something more with their music than just progressive metal. TMV were making progish pop length songs by the time that Octahedron and Noctourniquet, but it was too late to market prog to the mainstream by that point.

It's really too bad, since Tool are bland as fuck, not to mention that their guitarist is a talentless hack. Omar was infinitely more talented than anyone in Tool as both an instrumentalist and a songwriter.
>>
>>65484955
tool and mars volta are both awful butt-prog fuck off
>>
>>65484955
There was a good article about this on Stereogum (of all places): http://www.stereogum.com/1254741/deconstructing-the-rise-demise-and-legacy-of-the-mars-volta/franchises/deconstructing/

TL;DR the only good modern prog bands that could sustain relevance were in metal, because metal has its own loyal fanbase which wasn't really interested in The Mars Volta

>>65484991
Maybe you should fuck off from the Mars Volta thread?
>>
I don't know how the things going to be with the blink-182 drummer in their new album (antemasque)
>>
>>65484955
And Omar is a way more talented songwriter than guitarist, hence all the Frusciante appearances. Pure skill/technicality is the one place Tool had the edge, but that doesn't count for much
>>
>>65484898

I'm am now a #Hillarymissile
>>
>>65485044
ok
>>
>>65484991
I think you dropped this, mate.

>>65485030
Adam Jones is fucking terrible compared to Omar. Maynard, while a talented vocalist, doesn't have anywhere close to the amount of range that Cedric has. Thomas Pridgen and Jon Theodore are both great drummers, so even Tool's greatest asset, Danny Carey, doesn't really surpass TMV in skill. Wouldn't say that technicality is something Tool surpassed TMV at.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.