[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Music school discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: photo.png (67 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
67 KB, 750x750
Thoughts on Berklee or just going to college for music? Does it expand creativity or does it force musicians into the box academia wants them to be in?
>>
Nice loaded question from a person who doesn't know a single thing about colleges of music

Also Berklee will accept anyone if you cough up. Not saying there aren't talented people there but plenty aren't.
>>
Learning music theory limits your creativity because you can't do things that are outside the theory. You should learn blues scale on guitar and just jam out.
>>
>>65484530
id recommend going to art school if you want to make creative music. berklee or some other music school if you want to have a music career-- ie a session musician, sound engineer, or want to make jingles or very commercial music.
>>
>>65484665
False statement by someone who doesn't know music theory.
>>
>>65484665
Not at all it's a foundation to build concepts upon and the pentatonic scale has been played to death already
>>
>>65484665
The blues scale is a form of music theory
>>
File: trouble.png (14 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
trouble.png
14 KB, 500x500
I went to Berklee. You work harder than most people can handle. Yes they accept "B" students, but every year I had to make new friends because so many people couldn't or wouldn't cut it. My freshman class was about 1200 students. My graduating class was about 300. No, most of them didn't drop-out because their careers took off. Most of them failed or quit.

You bust your ass and absolutely nothing about it is box-inducing or limiting at all. I had studied music about 11 years prior to attending Berklee and that place is what got me OUT of the box. Think of it like learning mathematics - if you stop at addition/subtraction there's very little you can do. Balance a checkbook, pay your drug dealer. But, the most complex creative or misunderstood concepts in space and time can be expressed and explored with math, if you have the understanding of math deep enough to adapt it to what you need it to do. This is what Berklee did for me in terms of music. Beside the fact I was exposed to so many new things, and people, and perspectives, the education itself was top notch. And rigorous.

Also, I've had a breddy good career since I graduated as well.

It's not for everyone I guess, but if you really throw yourself into a place like Berklee you may just reach your final form.
>>
Fuck Berklee shit's so expensive it's disgraceful
>>
>>65485733
https://youtu.be/Je29zLtYyGw
>>
>>65485867
Nah man my dad would pay for Berklee if I asked but it's an incredibly expensive program (like most conservatories in the States to be fair) and just a bit of a waste of money.
>>
>>65485984
It's a gamble, but bachelor degrees are gambles in Murrica now in general.
>>
>>65486157
Music Education is pretty safe.
>>
>>65486184
>implying you should go to Berklee to become a music teacher and not a proper musician
>>
>>65486184
Technology is pretty safe too. Music business isn't bad either. I wouldn't major in performance ("an instrument") unless you're a real prodigy.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.