[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Favorite Albums of the Year (So Far)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: Mark Pritchard - Under the Sun.jpg (468 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
Mark Pritchard - Under the Sun.jpg
468 KB, 1400x1400
I feel like it's been a weird year with so many underwhelming, highly-anticipated heavy-hitters back-to-back that have taken up so much attention online (Drake, Rihanna, Beyonce, Kanye, James Blake, Radiohead, et al.)

Feel like it might've caused some great albums to become eclipsed?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZK2EmmGLNc

I feel like this is exactly what the world needs:
Dream Theater is getting a digital board game based off of their latest album The Astonishing.
It's in development right now and will be available soon for iOS and Android
as a free download with additional content available as in-app purchases.
Help the princess find her music player and save the kingdom from tyranny!

>>65477935
starting now
>>
>>65477935
drake sucks
rihanna sucks
beyonce sucks
kanye sucks
james has alwasy been meh
radiohead's album was fine
>>
the james blake album wasn't underwhelming

i just listened to the new keiji haino album and it was ok. new jason crummer is my AOTY so far
>>
>>65477935
post yfw Infrared
>>
File: Beans.jpg (24 KB, 590x372) Image search: [Google]
Beans.jpg
24 KB, 590x372
>>65478562

Record took about 3 listens to really grow on me -around when I started focusing on how it was mixed. 'Rebel Angels' is probably my fav.
>>
>>65477985
what the actual fuck is this post
>>
>>65478707
>how it was mixed.
how so? any particular examples? I'm on Beautiful People right now.
>>
>>65478723
?

I dunno, an alternative to posting my top 15? I feel like something should go in the post besides just a youtube link or as tempting as it might be just simply The Astonishing. If we had more aoty threads I'd probably just do that.

I wrote the last line and then the rest is taken from some gaming site or wherever I found out about it from. I was especially interested because the vinyl comes with what seemed to be an actual board game map and now this news confirms it.
>>
>>65477935
You Wash My Soul just kicked my ass hard

damn solid album so far
>>
>>65478731
Melodies are mixed quietly overall on the non-vocal featured pop tracks, I notice this most in 'Where Do They Go, The Butterflies,' 'Rebel Angels,' 'Ems,' and 'Khufu'

Drums sound really strange to me on the title track too.

Presentation feels subtle and contributes to some sort of 'comfortable, but not too comfortable' feeling. In some ways the record sounds to me like a 20th century sci-fi and folktale-leaning Geogaddi.
>>
>>65478936
least favorite song? I'm curious if we have the same pick. I've actually heard the album once before and I'm getting the same feeling again.
>>
>>65478993
I honestly haven't thought of that since I've just been playing the record front to back for the most part, I just find myself going back to 'Rebel Angels' as a standalone track a lot.

What's your least favorite track?
>>
>>65479041
Cycles of 9

and I think Mark agrees with me

D4 - Cycles Of 9
https://www.discogs.com/Mark-Pritchard-Under-The-Sun/release/8509520

digital edition it seems to serve as a midway point following what is so far my favorite song You Wash My Soul
>>
>>65479080
Interesting, I actually like that one quite a bit.

Track sequencing between formats definitely changes the listen quite a bit - 'Under the Sun' ends on more of a more mysterious, darker tip while 'Cycles of 9' feels pretty optimistic.
>>
>>65479316
>'Under the Sun' ends on more of a more mysterious, darker tip while 'Cycles of 9' feels pretty optimistic.
ok interesting I'll pay particular attention to that.

Butterflies the vinyl follow up to Wash My Soul wasn't exactly all that great either. I think its a strong enough song that he's doing this intentionally by following with the weakest songs.
>>
>She peeled away my inhibitions like an orange.
Is there some way I'm not supposed to think Blinds Cage is pretentious?
>>
>>65479041
>I just find myself going back to 'Rebel Angels' as a standalone track a lot.
what in the fuck why

this seriously makes me think you're trolling and havent even heard the album
>>
>>65479316
>'Under the Sun' ends on more of a more mysterious, darker tip
confirmed troll

Do you think you're getting over on me? Jokes on you because I want to hear literally everything from 2016
>>
>>65479639
I do really enjoy it, is there a particular reason why you think I'm trolling?

>>65479712
Sample comes from 'School Days and Learning Songs' by Julie Andrews and Martyn Green, but the way it's ripped lyrically vs. thematically bears conflict

e.g.
'Under the sun / it isn't real'
'Under the sun / for every evil'

I dunno man, music has a different affect on each listener which is why I like it
>>
>>65479915
>Sample comes from 'School Days and Learning Songs' by Julie Andrews and Martyn Green, but the way it's ripped lyrically vs. thematically bears conflict
ok well then you've got me back on board. In my defense, major scale flute is about as far away from "dark" as it gets.

>I do really enjoy it, is there a particular reason why you think I'm trolling?
The song is basically just one phrase with the last entire minute basically just one sustained note or chord, and the preceding 2 minutes is built around literally one staccato note.
>>
>>65480018
The first couple times around I perceived it as an easy-listening ambient record. It wasn't until a few listens in that I'd gotten the impression that nothing on here is sonically quite right to fit into such an easy classification. I really appreciate the challenge it presents, one that I only understood was there by spending some time with the music. It grants a unique depth of layered character, and continues to keep me listening in hopes of picking something new out of it each time.

I don't think it's fair to discount 'Rebel Angels' on a technical or creative level because of repetition (Steve Reich). There's something unique there I feel, in the way that it carries a vintage synthesizer's patina and tonality presented and mixed compositionally in a way that doesn't really sound like anything else I've heard so far.
>>
>>65480419
well true, as much as I like Wash My Soul it sure as hell isn't unique so I haven't exactly been giving that criteria its due.
>>
>>65478800
The Astonishing i nowhere near AOTY though. They've made some good albums, this isn't one of them.
>>
>>65482298
whats your aotysf
>>
Teens of denial is pretty good
>>
>>65482404
+1
>>
File: 398645f7.jpg (64 KB, 745x745) Image search: [Google]
398645f7.jpg
64 KB, 745x745
>>65477935
I love Mark for his work as Global Communication and Reload but I'd be lying if I said this album is doing much for me so far. It's not bad, some nice whispy melodies and production, but not really feeling it after a few listens... feels a bit thin on the ground or something.

Dunno if I'd say aoty material but thought Bibio's latest was a strong release.
>>
It's a toss up between Jessy Lanza and soutaiseiriron for me so far.
>>
1. Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial
2. GoGo Penguin - Man Made Object
3. Yndi Halde - Under Summer
4. Aluk Todolo - Voix
5. Big Ups - Before A Million Universes
6. Henri Texier - Sky Dancers
7. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity
8. Money - Suicide Songs
9. Warhola - Aura
10. Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
>>
elseq and love streams
>>
File: dcfd2d8e.jpg (88 KB, 745x745) Image search: [Google]
dcfd2d8e.jpg
88 KB, 745x745
The only thing I've really enjoyed this year
>>
File: tdio.jpg (95 KB, 745x745) Image search: [Google]
tdio.jpg
95 KB, 745x745
Doesn't get enough attention.
>>
>>65484040

Great album cover, but the album is kinda mediocre
>>
There has been no good rock music released this year so far except for AGTCLVLSSCAP
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>65477935
>I feel like it's been a weird year with so many underwhelming, highly-anticipated heavy-hitters back-to-back that have taken up so much attention online (Drake, Rihanna, Beyonce, Kanye, James Blake, Radiohead, et al.)
same thing happened last year
>>
>>65484012
>>65484040
Damn

Their debut was better, this one was alright, nothing special,
saw them live last year, was pretty good
>>
>>65477935
While that album is certainly good, it's nowhere near AOTY material.

But it's definitely album art of the year so far.
>>
>>65484180
>While that album is certainly good, it's nowhere near AOTY material.
Yeah but the thing is that there haven't been any really incredible albums aside from elseq yet.
>>
>>65484135
blaccstar
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.