[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's a genre that you hated early on but something clicked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: 1398113242796.jpg (223 KB, 590x322) Image search: [Google]
1398113242796.jpg
223 KB, 590x322
what's a genre that you hated early on but something clicked and now you are into it?

what made you hate it?
how did that change?
>>
>>65418295
I used to hate grunge but now I think it's my favorite genre. I found this out by reading zines.
>>
Got conditioned to be able to listen to electronic music and not just dadrock through Radiohead.
>>
Definitely metalcore. Always thought it was just the melodice stuff, then found TDEP through Mike Patton and Converge and now I can't stop listening to mathcore
>>
File: 1458069744524s.jpg (3 KB, 116x125) Image search: [Google]
1458069744524s.jpg
3 KB, 116x125
I was a le wrong generation kid till like 13 so basically all of the genres besides dad rock
>>
>>65418295
I used to hate hip hop in my early teens, being a "le wrong generation" little shit. Then I got into Kanye and that changed my whole perspective, oddly.
>>
>>65418341
same but I don't really listen to dadrock

There's no better feeling than when an entire new genre of music just "clicks"
>>
>>65418384
For melodic stuff I mean Asking Alexandria, As I Lay Dying etc. btw
>>
>>65418295
Death Metal. I was falsey accused of raping. Then, I'm under fucking stress and music I was listened to was sounded lame. I had to listen harder music.
>>
Screamo, I listened to Where You Are And Where You Want To Be.
>>
>>65418479
What other artists are you into? I really enjoy Loma Prieta but can't seem to find any other. Also, I'm no sure whether La Dispute and Title Fight are screamo or not.
>>
>>65418454
good post. something i was thinking about that could happen
>>
File: Deux_cover_pic2_568.jpg (205 KB, 568x568) Image search: [Google]
Deux_cover_pic2_568.jpg
205 KB, 568x568
Minimal wave, minimalist electronic music. Listened to it enough to realise the aesthetic and now I'm addicted.
>>
>>65418295
listen to a lot of music
one day decided to listen to some black metal for fun after watching some jared dines shit, prior to this, the only metal i really listened to was stoner rock and doom metal, black sabbath, sleep etc.
as i listened to black metal like burzum and darkthrone more and more i started to enjoy it more and more.
>>
>>65418534
Old Gray, William Bonney, Rites of Spring, Orchid, Indian Summer.
>>
>>65418811
Oh, um, forgot Flowers Taped To Pens and Boys Life
>>
>>65418811
>>65418853
Ty. I really like Rites of Spring.
>>
I discovered vaporwave through Eccojams, which is a pretty abrasive and puzzling introduction to the genre. I thought it was a joke and completely dismissed it, only by chance did I then hear Floral Shoppe and realize there was a bit more to it than what I first thought. I proceeded to listen to a shitton of vaporwave only to end up realizing that Eccojams is the best release by far.
>>
>>65418295

dubstep

i hated it because of the meme sounds
i like it now because it makes my post work
>>
File: SebastiAn - Total.jpg (82 KB, 570x570) Image search: [Google]
SebastiAn - Total.jpg
82 KB, 570x570
lots of electronic music and techno I disliked

it used to sound simplistic and repetitive to me

pic related, currently listening to one of my favorite albums (Total by SebastiAn) that made me think a LOT harder about the possibilities electronic music can give you, and it's fucking awesome in every way to me. I really want to find something similar but so far I have been at a loss. To whatever anon recommended it to me off some stupid chart I posted: fucking thanks.
>>
I didn't like Hip Hop back in the day, thinking that it was "gangster" for my own taste. After listening to artist like Kanye West, however, made me realize that Hip Hop isn't just about GUNS, MONEY, AND BITCHES.
>>
>>65418295
Country because i was only exposed to mainstream country and all my friends hated it.

I heard one of my favorite guitar players is a Buck Owens fan so I started listening to him and went from there, now I dig country
>>
bumping an interesting thread
>>
Punk and Pop-Punk. It can actually be good, believe it or not. You just gotta look in the correct places
>>
Weirdly enough in comparison to lots of people I never liked classic rock/dad rock, shit like Led Zeppelin, The Who, etc. Never did anything for me, really bored me. I hated AC/DC with a passion, also. Eventually through listening more intently and with an open mind I kind of realized that it, as a genre, had lots of gold in it. Still not a classic rock head, don't particularly like AC/DC, but fuck man, I can't deny that Let There Be Rock is a solid record. Grunge used to annoy me too up until relatively recently, though I fuck with Nirvana now, and others.

Pretty much always liked hip hop, country, electronic stuff, even as a millenial white boy I basically just never had a le wrong generation phase.
>>
>>65420794
You mean just Pop-Punk and not Punk
>>
>>65420882
What do you mean?
>>
Electronic stuff (Downtempo, IDM etc.)

I was one of those fags who only listened to music that had "real instruments" but then I listened to BoC and Aphex Twin and my opinion totally changed.
>>
>>65420929
You only got into Pop-Punk
>>
>>65418295
I bought Sleep's Jerusalem on CD in high school cause the cover looked cool and I was into Mastodon and shit, expecting something like that. Put it on my ipod and listened and swore it was a joke, showed it to my friends and we laughed, then one time I put it on just by myself and listened for more than five minutes, got to the first guitar solo and was pretty much converted to stoner/doom/drone stuff and now it's my favorite kind of metal
>>
i used to hate metal in general, i used to think a bunch of dudes screaming in a mic was dumb, then i listened to some bands and changed my whole perspective
>>
File: James_Blake_Cover.jpg (58 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
James_Blake_Cover.jpg
58 KB, 300x300
i despised dubstep and those who enjoyed it during that fucking 2010-2013 edm era
then i came across some decent artists and it didn't seem so bad anymore
>>
>>65418794
oh yeah I got into black metal because of Jared Dines too. I used to make fun of it but now I really like it.
>>
emo/black metal/hip hop. I hated emo because I thought the genre was just stuff like mcr and Pierce the Veil. black metal obviously took some getting used to but now I like it a lot. and I never really have hip hop a chance but artists like Public Enemy, Kendrick Lamar, and Madvillain changed that.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.