[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Man it still hurts, will this feel ever end? I hear him spea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: lodger.jpg (136 KB, 814x800) Image search: [Google]
lodger.jpg
136 KB, 814x800
Man it still hurts, will this feel ever end? I hear him speaking to me across the years; my whole life I have heard him. I put on the last one and hear his sorrow and bravery.

One of my favourite songs, during a period where I remember him fondly. ;w;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnHrG2ESfUU
>>
>>65400974
Are you speeking of his death?
>>
>>65401089

Amongst other things. :')
>>
>>65401111
Has his death deeply impacted your life?
>>
www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/new-david-bowie-material-to-be-released-in-next-few-years-says-producer-tony-visconti-a3263001.html

Visconti is right, there are no more Bowies.
>>
>>65401170

It has, because listening to Bowie music is part of my life. And now when I listen to him, there's a new melancholy. I'm wistful of the past, both his and my own.
>>
>>65401202
I understand what you mean, but because I for one, did not grow up lisening to him, cannot say I feel the same.

Though, I am already very emotionally attatches to his music. I took interest after his death and found my new favourite artist. Music became a new permanent interest and avid piece of my life as well.
I can truly say, I have made quite the music taste for my self. Mostly sentimentally, through artists like David Bowie, but also experimentally, through artists like Death Grips.

Enough about mw though.
What are some of your favourite records/tracks? How did you get into him? Etc etc.
>>
>>65401401

Well he was always there. I was born a few months after Ziggy Stardust came out and new Bowie songs were a constant thing on the radio.

I used to watch Countdown and I remember hype when Bowie first toured in Aus during IsolarII. It's probably 1979/80 when I saw him on Kenny Everitt, I got into Kate Bush too about then. Both of those artists painted a surreal feeling with their music.

Anyway I remember the Ashes to Ashes video release and to this day that is my favourite song of all time. I really love Bowie's 80s records, even though most people seem to talk shit about them. Those singles from Tonight are still some of my favourite songs. Bowie also heavily influenced some of my favourite 80s artists like Duran Duran and Eurythmics. I ended up getting into edgy shit in the late 80s then grunge happened, but I remember Bowie in the nightclubs. I got back into him about Heathen time, and really got back into him with his cleverly crafted The Next Day release in combination with the David Bowie Is exhibit.

Blackstar is such an incredible album, and in combination with the overload of The Next Day and the finely curated Nothing Has Changed, you can see him facing his mortality. You can tell he had a lot more to say and I feel sad that so much future music was lost.

Anyway my favourite albums today are Diamond Dogs, Lodger, Station to Station, Let's Dance, Outside.
>>
Tch and Ali just died. 2016 worst year ever ;___;
>>
Wow, god. You said you liked his 80's albums the most. What did you think of Scary Monsters (as a whole album)?
I wish I was around for all that. But at the same time, I'm glad things are the way they are, that way I could better understand and comprehend his art and therefor create/form my own opinion on his music etc.

I'm only sixteen, but underestimate me you will not. For I have invested a lot of time listening to his music, learning about his life and so forth.

Everything he's done and stood for has been inspiring and spectacular. I haven't listened to a record that I didn't enjoy yet.

In chronological order:

Blackstar
Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)
Aladdin Sane
Ziggy Stardust
Low

Low is my favourite so far, it's become such a piece of sentimentality in my life, that I've needed to take a break from listening to music. I've watched one of his films: The Man Who Fell To Earth (1976).
Seemingly, all his work has stuck to me and I am glad to have been able to share the experience here, with you.
>>
>>65400974
Holy crap I never knew the album cover depicted him being taped up to the wall of a bathroom, I always assumed he was beat up and left on the floor
>>
>>65402001
He is lying down. I'll try to find an image.
>>
File: bowie79lodger-duffy.jpg (55 KB, 490x328) Image search: [Google]
bowie79lodger-duffy.jpg
55 KB, 490x328
>>65402001
There we go.
>>
>>65401922

I like Scary Monsters, but it's not one of my favourites although I love the production. Ashes is such an incredible song, the album edit is the best. There's so much detail there and as i learned music theory, more and more of that song opened up to me. It's pure genius. Bowie in the 80s was by far his peak, despite all the trash talk.

Just take a look at some of his 80s live stuff he's absolutely incredible, a megastar standing shoulder to shoulder with giants like Michael Jackson. The stuff Bowie got trashed for doing on the Glass Spider tour was acclaimed years later when artists like Jackson and now everyone started doing.

I remember watching Live Aid and Bowie was the outstanding artist of the day, just watch this he is a god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDQkaI6DT3s

It's cool to see younger dudes getting into him. I reckon listening to Blackstar in 30 years will be an enlightening experience.
>>
>>65402032
>>65402062
There's a sink though, this happens in movies all the time where they take a photograph of something that's meant to be viewed from the point of a wall on the ground. They did it in Man Of Steel when Zod was climbing up the side of a building
>>
>>65402094
All the young dudes, carry the news!

I believe that David's music will stay with me and be a part of my life for a long time, if not forever, as it has for you and many others.

I agree that some of the shade thrown on 'Tonight' and 'Never Let Me Down' are a bit unnecassary and out of hand. Although I have not yet listened to them, I don't believe they can be THAT bad.

Listening to Blackstar thirty years from now, will for sure be a trip. When I move to the Netherlands to continue my studies, and presumably get a job, I will be buying my self a hand full of my favourite records (half of which will include none other than Bowie records).

So of course there's nothing but good to come, and I'm hoping to stretch his discography out for as long as I can, to the point where I won't get sick of him (if that's even remotely possible), but be able to "always" have records and music of his that are "new" to me.

I am going to sleep, perhaps we could continue this conversation another time.
God speed.
>>
>>65402386

Go good young dude. You can never get sick of Bowie, all you can do is peel back the layers. Just dive in.
>>
i listened to lodger recently and it really surprised me how much i liked it

but i swear ive heard the line "boys keep swinging, boys always work it out " somewhere else before, like on a britpop record
>>
Sounds kinda cheesy, but Bowie was such an iconic figure it doesn't really seem like he's dead. I usually don't even think about it while listening to his music, then I randomly remember and get sad again
>>
>>65402994

David Jones the person died. Bowie can never die, as Ziggy and Major Tom can never die.
>>
Ashes to Ashes feels weird to listen to now
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.