[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>C Mixolydian mode is exactly the same as the G Dorian mode
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: cmixolydianfretboard[1].gif (6 KB, 424x122) Image search: [Google]
cmixolydianfretboard[1].gif
6 KB, 424x122
>C Mixolydian mode is exactly the same as the G Dorian mode

Why is this?
>>
Jews, probably.
>>
>>65309453
I don't know what the fuck any of that means.
>>
take any ionian mode move it up three steps and you got its aeloian equal
>>
>>65309453
Do you not know how modes are connected?
>>
>>65309536
>up
>steps
Down 3 half steps
>>
because they are both in the key of F major

modes are just major scales starting on a different scale degree
>>
>>65309535
>/mu/ - music
>>
Based upon just the notes used in the scale, your'e correct, C Mixolydian and G Dorian are the same. In fact, F Ionian, G Dorian, A Phrygian, Bb Lydian, C Mixolydian, D Aeolian, and E Locrian all incorporate the same notes, but the important difference is these note relation to the tonic note. While all of these scales use F, G, A, Bb, C, D, and E, if you play the scale over a C7 chord (making it C Mixolydian) it will sound very different than over a G minor (Making it G Dorian), because the tonic in the scales has changed from C to G, and all the other notes are on different intervals from the tonic. Does that make sense?
>>
>>65309453
that's how modes work dipshit
>>
>>65309650
Exactly, it doesn't say
>/mu/ - music theory
so fuck off outta here with this boring shit.
>>
>>65309669
well, music wouldn't exist without music theory so stfu
>>
>>65309712
Music theory wouldn't exist without music. The other way around.
>>
>>65309577
Shit my bad lol
I'm getting kinda rusty , haven't studied theory in a few months and havnrnt been practicing piano
>>
they're not the exact same, they sound totally different because of the root notes. when using modes the only thing that matters is what note you consider the root.

but, essentially they are the same because the mixolydian scale is built upon the fifth degree of the major scale and the dorian is built on the second. in this case the parent scale is F major, so to play C mixo or G dorian you just play the F major scale starting from/resolving to C and G respectively.

You could also construct both of the scales using mixolydian or dorian's pattern themselves. Mixolydian is just a major scale with a flattened seventh, so just start with C major and flat the seventh (B) and you get an F major scale starting on C (because F major has a B flat). You could do the same with G and dorian.

Modes are weird because of how they relate to major scales
>>
>>65309453
Wait until you learn about the D natural minor scale, it'll blow your mind
>>
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 878x814) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 878x814
>>65309669
>>
File: 1459768111214.jpg (39 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1459768111214.jpg
39 KB, 640x640
>>65309916
You're autistic
>>
>>65309614
This is wrong you fucking faggot
>>
>>65309654
yeah, this, I think

modes are different from scales because they don't have a fixed note to return to, right? among other things I believe.
>>
>>65309453
It has the same notes, but it's not the same.
>>
Can someone explain to me how scales are different from modes ? I took AP Music Theory in high school but we mostly just focused on modes so I don't know what scales are for.
>>
>>65310324
https://www.quora.com/Music-What-is-the-difference-between-a-mode-and-a-scale
>>
>>65310324
modes are build from scales.

there are seven modes of the major scale
there are seven modes of the melodic minor scale
there are seven modes of the harmonic minor scale
there are seven modes of the harmonic major scale

henceforth.

a mode is what scale degree, and chord from the scale degree you consider your tonic centre. in lydian its Imaj7#11, in mixolydian its I13. etc.
>>
>>65310203
please explain how that is wrong so i can laugh at your juvenile understanding of basic bullshit
>>
>>65310562
not him but it is wrong. a mode isnt a major scale whatsoever unless youre talking about ionian. they are completely different and have totally different timbres

dorian = major scale with b3 and b7
phrygian = major scale with b2, b3, b6, b7
lydian = major scale with #4
mixolydian = major scale with b7
aeolian = major scale with b3, b6, and b7
locrian = major scale with b2, b3, b5, b6 and b7
>>
>>65310715
oh i see where you and him think i'm wrong

here: a mode comes from a major scale starting on a different scale degree

you're also mislabeling them. dorian, aeolian, phrygian, and locrian are minor scales. lydian, ionian, and mixolydian are major scales. the third interval defines what type it is. saying a phrygian scale is a major scale with a b3 is silly
>>
>>65309521
They can keep that Phrygian shit for themselves
>>
>>65310324
Scales are just modes. Ionian and Aeolian are major and minor IIRC. There's sometimes variations though, like a harmonic minor scale would be the aeolian with a raised 7th.
>>
>>65311021
harmonic minor and melodic minor have their own set of modes. if you think of each of those as a parent scale, then they have 7 sub groups of modes attached to them. jazz uses a lot of melodic minor stuff, not so much harmonic minor. metal uses a lot of harmonic minor.
>>
>>65310961
>you're also mislabeling them. dorian, aeolian, phrygian, and locrian are minor scales. lydian, ionian, and mixolydian are major scales. the third interval defines what type it is. saying a phrygian scale is a major scale with a b3 is silly
i know. i was comparing them to the major scale to show how it was wrong. why bother writing all those flats for dorian when you can just call it a minor scale with a natural sixth?
>>
>>65309453
Could you explain how to read that chart would I just be playing the black notes or what? Sorry if its a dumb question i see these in books and I don't have any audio examples to go with it.
>>
File: e_ph_0078_01.jpg (140 KB, 900x1349) Image search: [Google]
e_ph_0078_01.jpg
140 KB, 900x1349
based on my observations of internet music forums people without degrees in composition or music theory should be banned from discussing what a mode is. none of them know and they all just get mad. i don't know what a mode is either and i've read a lot of those discussions.
>>
Dorian is the main mode, it is a modality. Lydian is merely 'modal'. The best that you can do, is split it up in several groups. Mixo>phryg. Treat Locrian seperate and consider the 'outside scale' notes. Min>major. Really, just remember, only a dorian can 'work' n' on itself, as major or minor do. Right, now suck my dick.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.