[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Commentators and historians frequently cite Pet Sounds as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: petsounds.jpg (227 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
petsounds.jpg
227 KB, 1280x1280
>Commentators and historians frequently cite Pet Sounds as a concept album — the first of rock music.

What exactly is the concept behind this?
>>
File: rg80so1280.jpg (403 KB, 1280x1679) Image search: [Google]
rg80so1280.jpg
403 KB, 1280x1679
>>65308754
make a shite pop album a la the beatles
>>
>>65308754
>not Zappa
>>
>>65308754
the sound of pets duh
>>
>pet sounds
>rock
>>
The expanded instrumentation (courtesy of The Wrecking Crew) was supposed to be the "Pet Sounds" of the record.
>>
>>65308754
>too pleb to figure it out
>>
>>65308754

There is no fucking concept. It's just pop music. What is the fucking concept? What is the overall theme?

Tommy by The Who is really the only first concept rock album I can think of, there is a clear cohesive story, theme, and character in the entire album.
>>
File: Days of Future Gas.jpg (153 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
Days of Future Gas.jpg
153 KB, 450x450
>>65308907

Wait I take that back, I consider this the first "concept album" Though it can hardly be called rock music.
>>
>>65308820
what was not jazz was rock then.
>>
>>65308852
>The Wrecking Cew

fun fact: brian wilson named the album pet sounds as a nod to phil spector (the initials)
>>
>>65309242
Where'd you hear that?
Not necessarily doubting you but I want to watch or read wherever you got that hahahahaha
>>65308907
don't be an idiot
and Pet Sounds is more complex and thoughtful than any of the music on DOFP
You just hear an orchestra and think it's sophisticated lmao, pathetic.
>>
>>65309272
>Where'd you hear that?

Some interview as well as wikipedia... hard to blame wilson's obsession with spector though, they're both great artists
>>
A concept album isn't just any album with a concept behind it. All albums have fucking concepts that the artists puts in there. A concept album is an album that tells a story. Nothing else. Does the album have the same characters and tell a specific story? Concept album! All the songs are about similar things but don't tell a story as a whole? not a concept album!
>>
>>65309314
>>65309242
there's no clear motive for the name
Carl used to say that the record was supposed to remind you of sounds you liked your whole life, so they were your pet sounds

mike love says something different too.

Also, there's no clear cause of Brian's deaf ear. Lately, he says it was a neighborhood kid who accidently hit him in the ear with something

but brian has also said that 1) he became deaf through his father hitting him on that side and 2)his father did it but on accident with a 2x4
>>
>>65308975
This is also the first progressive rock album ever made, interestingly enough. The Moody Blues were so far ahead of the curve it's nuts
>>
ITT: retards arguing semantics
>THIS ALBUM DOESNT MEET MY DEFINITION SO YOURE WRONG

thanks for the keks /mu/
>>
>>65309366
>an album with a concept is not a concept album
if you say so lol. what you described fits the term "rock opera" better imo
>>
>>65308754
because Brian Wilson conceived the record as a unified work of art, not just a collection of singles put together. The concept that joins the songs is musical, not lyrical
>>
>the first of rock music

wrong even if it was, anyway
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.