[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The truth about him
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 209x204) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 209x204
You guys still have to deal with the fact that someone who writes about literally EVERYTHING can not be anything but an idiot, a pretentious dodger with a poor and limited knowledge. Nobody can write about music, art, architecture, literature, poetry, philosophy, history, politics, law, travels, science, cognitive psychology, psychoanalysis, medicine, antropology, archeology, sociology, technology, quantum mechanics, ETC, without being of low quality. He has just been acting subversive for years, and now it'a all gone to his head. He is just presumptuous and haughty, a sort of contemporary superman (not in Nietzschean sense, which is positive). I read a lot, everyday, and I can assure you that his theories and arguments are somehow poor and unoriginal. What he says is entirely based on his (not in-depth) knowledge of art and culture, never on a shred of reasoning and profundity. He is just a compulsive writer (as he himself said) without any real substance. Stop referring to him, go look for some real good critics, those who are specialized in few genres and reflect carefully before writing.
>>
He's good in popular music.

Just not Jazz or Classical musics.

You're just mad he insulted your favorite band.
>>
>>65307077
> You're just mad he insulted your favorite band
I don't have a favorite band and if I had one certainly wouldn't be The Beatles. I just wanted to make things clear.
>>
nah it's perfectly possible that he has at least a cursory knowledge in all these fields. he isn't that young, you know
>>
>>65307025

why do i still have to look at this retards shit eating grin when he hasnt even opened his mouth in a year honestly
>>
>>65307319
> cursory
>>
>>65307465
where does he claim to be an expert in all of these? I mean, besides his field of expertise
>>
>>65307184
>I don't have a favorite band
AKA "I don't have good enough taste to answer that question"
>>
>>65307492
In his website there is a section for almost every field of human knowledge.
(In my list I was exaggerating for ironic effects).
>>
>>65307514
Maybe I have more than one favorite band.
>>
>>65307319
but the thing is you shouldn't be writing about or claim to have authority over things you have cursory knowledge of. also if you have cursory knowledge of something, that inherently means you're not good at it and don't know enough about it for your opinion to count for much of anything.
>>
File: 1462738306966.png (110 KB, 312x287) Image search: [Google]
1462738306966.png
110 KB, 312x287
>>65307077
>He's good in popular music.
>>
This goes for the vast majority of the human population: one can claim to be an expert at just a few things before it actually means one is not an expert, or even competent, in any particular area at all.
>>
>>65307610
Then list them.
>>65308088
How is he bad?
>>
>>65308104
>How is he bad?
He hasn't listened to jack shit and is completely oblivious of the most basic releases?
>>
>>65308169
>He hasn't listened to jack shit and is completely oblivious of the most basic releases?
Examples? He's listened to more music than you, that's for sure.
>>
>>65307025
>some real good critics
like whom are you having in mind?
>>
>>65307025
Given your description he seems pretty worldly. Is there anything wrong with listening to the opinions of a worldly man?
>>
>>65308053
This.
>>65308104
>Then list them.
I don't need to prove my taste to hold this conversation. It's about something else.
>>65308194
Listening to a lot of music does not give you authority. Music (especially when you listen to so much stuff) can also be forgotten quickly. SUDYING gives you something. Studies, application, effort, analysis. He is just an improvised wise guy.
>>
>>65307025
>go look for some real good critics, those who are specialized in few genres and reflect carefully before writing.

Like who?
>>
>>65308542
Not OP, but it's because he writes as if he's some sort of authority on these subjects that he doesn't even know that much about. One thing is listening to his opinions, that's fine, but he acts as if his opinions are above everyone else's and as if he is some sort of expert on everything he writes, which is most definitely not the case.
>>
>>65307025

Nobody is pretending to worship him.

His musical taste is far more eccentric and edgy than most critics or aggregator lists so the music section of his site gives listens that are at least interesting.

The end. Nobody gives a shit about his other stuff except ironically and to make fun of him.
>>
>>65308723
You've said nothing of value in any of your posts.
>>
>>65308380
>>65308756
Lester Bangs, Robert Christgau, Simon Reynolds, recently Adam Harper. AllMusic and Pitchfork have a lot of good critics.
>>
>>65307025

he looks like a pedophile.
>>
>>65308884
And you? What have you said?
>>
>>65309072
Sources say he is.
>>
Ok, my 2 cents on Scaruffi
his theorys are really, really shallow, as most of his reviews are just buzzwords or ambiguous description of how he hears the music, like this part of Loveless review:

>"Its stunning chaos can be viewed both as an enraptured "om" to the universe or as a deranged scream in a madman's cell or as a terrified paralysis in the face of a supernatural force. The album changed the meaning of the word "music" by proving the equivalence between "noisy" and 'symphonic", the same way that Einstein proved the equivalence between inertial and gravitational mass."

BUT, the site does have some amazing, and I say TRULY amazing recommendations for movies, music and literature, it doesn't really matter if he read/listened/saw any of this, those recs are really good, of course I don't agree with his top 10, top 100 or whatever, making "tops" is, imho, a retarded thing in first place, also his list of portuguese language literature is really poor

its a good place to discover new stuff, WAY fucking better than any board in 4chan
>>
>>65309088
I've said you're an idiot who's just mad Scaruffi insulted your yet-to-be-specified artists.
>>
>>65309050

>Robert Christgau

>Biggest Beatles force-memer ever

Lol

>Pitchfork

>Gives 10s to like 5 Beatles albums

>Allmusic

>Implying

Look, these are all just shitposters with their own websites.
>>
>>65309372
>making "tops" is, imho, a retarded thing in first place
OP here. I forgot to mention that, so I take this opportunity to say I completely agree.
>>
>>65309441
>>Robert Christgau
>>Biggest Beatles force-memer ever
At least he was expert.
>>
>>65309399
Very deep.
>>
>>65309571
You have yet to prove me wrong.
>>
>>65309579
I don't give a shit about his sentences, because I actually like Velvet Underground, Captain Beefheart, Robert Wyatt, Pere Ubu, MBV, Slint, Butthole Surfers, Suicide etc. I also like David Bowie, but - again - I don't give a shit about Scaruffi's ratings. Regarding The Beatles, they're not among my favorites. Are you satisfied now?
>>
>>65307025
sounds like the average critic.
>>
File: image.jpg (6 KB, 103x125) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6 KB, 103x125
>>65309531
>expert
>>
>>65308723
>makes a claim
>someone asks for proof
>"I don't need proof to validate my claim"
>>
>>65310543
I didn't make any claim, anon
>>
I can read 3 short rym reviews of an album and have a pretty good idea of what to expect
You don't have to know shit to be a coherent music writer
>>
>>65310584
But you have to know shit to be a good music writer. I mean, music can be studied and deepened indefinitely like any other art.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.