[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Kiss the biggest sellouts in all of music history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: 1035x762-kiss-1800-1396461735.jpg (204 KB, 1035x762) Image search: [Google]
1035x762-kiss-1800-1396461735.jpg
204 KB, 1035x762
Is Kiss the biggest sellouts in all of music history?
>>
Doesn't a band have to start with some creative integrity to sell-out? You can't sell-out when you were for sale to begin with.
>>
>>65277984
Yes, but more importantly, they never claimed otherwise.
>>
Objectively, yes.
>>
>>65277984
Wasn't "selling out" their vision anyway?
>>
Kiss is a joke
>>
>>65278005
>>65278008
>>65278011
Damn, some truth right here.
>>
for them selling out would be not selling out

they are a marketing giant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsHg0Oo2FEk
>>
>>65277984
What's more Rock and Roll than making middle America (and Japan) your bitch?
>>
>>65278149
aka The Elder
>>
>>65278149
They were all Jewish?
>>
>>65277984
What is U2?
>>
What is Tool?
>>
>>65278324
/thread
>>
>>65278298
Only half. The only remaining half at that. All the talent and charisma was with Ace and Peter obviously. Paul's cheesiness and Gene's vanity are both passed off as charisma but they're laughable. Just a couple of geeky Jewisj kids from Queens. Ace and Peter are from The Bronx and Williamsburg.
>>
>>65278393
Gene is a decent bass player, but a shitty human being. Musically, Peter and Gene were the only good part of Kiss. The guitar work is shitty beyond compare. Kiss Alive I is the only good work they ever did.
>>
>>65278393
dawg Paul was born in Manhattan then went to Queens as a teen and Gene is full blown Israeli then moved to Queens
>>
at least we got this jam out of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNGNLo8K6Fk
>>
>>65277984
Yes, followed by Metallica and Ice Cube, then by Ice T
>>
If we're using the common definition then yes, but if we use this definition:

>>65278005

It would be Metallica
>>
Are Talk Talk the biggest sell-ins of all time?
>>
>>65278463
>Gene is a decent bass player,
Was a decent bassist in the 70s. In the 80s, he stopped giving a fuck and just played the root note over and over.
>>
>>65278463
>Alive I
>Not Destroyer
>>
Are they sellouts? Yes. But they knew exactly what they were doing. They never tried to be anything else but a brand. I don't really see why it matters. Either you like what they're about or you don't. Their first 6 studio records were pretty solid. After that they kinda dropped the ball. At least they were able to put out a couple of decent albums later on, like Creatures of the Night, Lick It Up, Asylum, and Revenge.
>>
Can we all agree s/t is their best record?
>>
>>65282460

7 of the 9 tracks (because does Kissin' Time really matter?) are on Alive and all sound way better. Musically the songs are probably their best but the actually studio recordings for that album are kind of sub-par.
>>
So, if you go by the philosophy that selling out is willingly performing acts opposed by previous morals you held yourself to...would Kiss going anti-commercial be considered selling out?
>>
>>65278149
What a great scene. Blockbuster comedies have gone way down hill since then, and even then they were losing ground.
>>
>>65282307
The albums after Creatures are good for about 1-2 decent songs (which are almost always Paul's) surrounded by filler.
>>
>not Genesis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jlMk2Zi3B8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMiDhmL_zFo
>>
>Paul and Gene talk about the possibility of retiring in a few years and hiring new young guys to continue the band ad infinitum
>>
>>65281499
yes and kek
>>
>>65282742
Wait, what? So they want to be Americas sellout rock version of Menudo?
>>
>>65282742
who will they hire to replace themselves? id love to be in kiss 2.0
>>
Friendly reminder that Detroit Rock City is a ripoff of GFR's Foot Stompin' Music. Same exact chord progression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3NXgM_LGQA
>>
>>65282742
>a band constantly coming back with a new lineup for every generation
this is so retarded I'm actually kinda curious, I know there are bands where the ebtire lineup changed but something like this is insane
>>
>>65278463
peter chris is a shit drummer. he may be tight but his drumming is fucking boring. gene plays root notes like other poster said, but paul and ace were pretty good guitar players (one of them took classical at one point iirc)
>>
>>65286532
>gene plays root notes like other poster said

That was in the 80s onward though. He did actually _play_ bass in the 70s. He just didn't gaf anymore by the Reagan years.
>>
This was a post I found on a music forum.

"I bought the first two Kiss albums in '74 and quickly returned them. They were a band for 11 year olds who thought the Osmonds were too childish, but who weren't advanced enough for the Eagles or Pink Floyd. Total disappointment compared to the rock of 4-5 years earlier."
>>
Nah.
Kiss started as an overly gaudy commercial band who made songs about eating pussy, partying, and just rock n' rolling.
They ended as an overly gaudy commercial band who made songs about eating pussy, partying, and just rock n' rolling.

Black Eyed Peas are the biggest sellouts, from actual underground rap to whatever the fuck I Got A Feeling is supposed to be.
>>
>>65278393
Kek

I like Ace, but Peter is a piece of shit.
>>
>>65287560
I would say that Ice Cube and Ice T are bigger sellouts. Both of them were hardcore niggas that hated the system but they both happily threw away their beliefs and became family friendly clowns.
>>
If selling out is just making little dumb shit for people to buy and being commercial then yeah
If selling out implies a betrayal of ideals or morals then no, Kiss were on the make-up, pyrotechnic, dumb-shit since they were broke as fuck. It's actually really fun to read how they'd scavenge for fucked up amp carcasses so they could make it look like they had a wall of amps and shit.
>>
>>65288557
They had to live off their manager's credit card and borrow his suits for the Dressed To Kill cover because only Peter Criss actually owned one.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.