[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been thinking about metal and classical music, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1 (2).jpg (28 KB, 352x349) Image search: [Google]
1 (2).jpg
28 KB, 352x349
I've been thinking about metal and classical music, and it just hit me: metal is the intellectual successor to classical music

What does /mu/ think? Does /mu/ agree?
>>
is this a picture of you?
>>
>>65267444
If we're talking purely tonally and aesthetically, maybe

Spiritually and intellectually, not really

That's gonna sound like a load of horseshit but I can't think of a better way to phrase it
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0bcRCCg01I
>>
the "intellectual" successors to classical music are more like jazz, prog rock and IDM. Metal appeals mostly to edgy teenagers and is more like the successor to traveling gypsie musicians
>>
>>65267552
I would say jazz the most, it's probably the most based around the written tradition

IDM is a bit sketch depending on what you're talking about but stuff like Autechre could be seen as an extension of serialism and generative classical music

Prog I disagree with, on the same basis as metal
>>
File: Thy_Art_Is_Murder_Hate.jpg (174 KB, 519x500) Image search: [Google]
Thy_Art_Is_Murder_Hate.jpg
174 KB, 519x500
>>65267444
>metal is the intellectual successor to classical music
ya sure. many have done a real shit job of taking up this successor position, but there are some good albums out there such as pic related.
>>
>tfw used to only listen to classical music and now only listen to metal
can confirm

would like to know how op came to that conclusion though.
>>
>>65267602
>Autechre
not apex twin: druqks
>>
>>65267482
>That's gonna sound like a load of horseshit but I can't think of a better way to phrase it
nah you nailed it. that is correct as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>65267602
were you the same anon as >>65267482 ?

I think I see what you're saying but I think it depends on the band. Bands like Yes and Chicago and Pink Floyd definitely don't have the same atmosphere as classical, but you'd have to at least agree that bands like King Crimson and Can pulled it off
>>
>>65267444
>1 (2)
>>
>>65267444
What the fuck does "intellectual successor" even mean?
>>
>>65267825
Yeah it was the same dude

And I do agree to a point, it's the same with metal in that prog takes influence from a musical aspect but it's not passed on or created in a similar manner to classical so it can't really be an "intellectual successor"

Not to discredit prog, just saying

>>65267682
Thanks, glad it didn't sound too contrived
>>
File: metal.png (100 KB, 779x529) Image search: [Google]
metal.png
100 KB, 779x529
>>
>>65267944
It means you don't like something, so you think about the best way to get away from it as fast as possible
>>
>>65267444
No

Metal is just a meme. Think about it. Humourous lyrics about demons and scary stuff.

It's all a meme
>>
>>65268823
>Humourous lyrics about demons and scary stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKZd75PeshM

this is part of a tech death album btw
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.