[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the highest album on RYM's top charts you haven't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 5
File: RYMcharts.png (267 KB, 1868x964) Image search: [Google]
RYMcharts.png
267 KB, 1868x964
What's the highest album on RYM's top charts you haven't listened to?
>>
wish you were here
>>
>>65262917
Mine is Paranoid also
>>
ok computer
>>
Led zeppelin IV
>>
VU&N
>>
I haven't listened to any Radiohead or Pink Floyd album in full and I have no interest to
>>
abbey road
>>
Wish You Were Here, been wanting to but have been putting it off for some reason
>>
Ride the Lightning
>>
>>65262958
this
>>
Abbey Road
Ive never listened to a Beatles album
>>
Radiohead - Amnesiac

>>65262950
>>65262954
>>65262958
>>65262971
Pathetic
>>
#14, paranoid by black sabbath

I've only actually heard 51 albums from the top 100 actually now that I look at it
>>
>>65263025
Led Zeppelin is garbage, they arent missing anything
>>
>>65262917
Mingus -The Black Paint And The Sinner Lady

I dig a few of his other albums, might as well check this one out
>>
>>65262917
Anything by Pink Floyd and all Radiohead that isn't OK Computer.
>>
>>65263042
The singles are way overplayed but there's some good songs on that. It's really short to
>>
I went through the top 50 with some friends a while back so it should be whatever is 51, but the order of 50 and 51 have swapped so the first I have not listened to is The cure - Disintegration.

Also anyone putting off wish you were here is a fool, it's by far the best album off the top chunk.
>>
odessey and oracle
>>
marquee moon
>>
>>65263091
weirdly enough i've heard sabbath bloody sabbath and loved it but have put off their other albums. Iron Man and War Pigs are fucking tunes m8.
>>
Highway 61 Revisited
>>
>>65262917
In full, OK Computer
at all, the banana album
>>
Abbey Road

I haven't listened to any of their albums in full, I already know I don't like them from the songs I've heard.
>>
I've only listened to the King Crimson album.
I value my own interests above consensus, maybe to a fault. I don't like radiohead though (from what I've heard anyway, mostly from my Radiohead fanboy friend) so I guess I especially distrust the consensus that comes together to promote that.
Are these really the top albums on RYM?
>>
dark side of the moon lmao
>>
>>65262917
Technically wish you were here though I have heard all the songs on it.
Just never in order in full.

After that it's loveless.
I'm not big on shoegaze
>>
>>65263014
You should, they're pretty good, don't listen to the contrarian memes.

Not the best though, definitely overated
>>
>>65263239
You should really listen to The Velvet Underground & Nico.
>>
>Highway 61 Revisited

Am I missing out?
>>
>>65263094
Oh man go listen to disintegration now. You won't regret it.
>>
>>65262917
OK Computer because I don't care about Radiohead.
>>
Pink Floyd albums.

Whats with all the fuss. Ew.
>>
>>65263360
yes
>>
>>65263413
Well how do you know if you haven't listened to them?
>>
>>65262917
i marathoned the top 10 some times ago, utter garbage except for tvu&n
>>
>>65263339
What's the deal with the velvet underground album?
People just saying it's good really does nothing for me. I'm also biased cause Andy Warhol seems like another hack postmodernist.
I don't even know about Nico. Is that an artist or an album?
>>
>>65263410
Why would you not give it a chance though? I don't really get it.
>>
>>65263436
>times
>utter garbage except for tvu&n
Don't act like we don't know it's you.
>>
>>65263444
>>65263444
Oh, it's literally called "The Velvet Underground and Nico". Yeesh.
>>
>>65262917
paranoid, because black sabbath blows desu

after that it's are you experienced
>>
>>65263444
It's an album, one of the most influential of all time. Started the whole punk thing. Nico is a singer who featured on some tracks. She also made some great albums.
>>
>>65262917
Led Zep III
>>
>>65263477
Paranoid is a great riff album. This track in particular is one of the first memories of a track and the riffs in the first part of the song sounding really "evil", cause my mom played it in the car a lot at one time.
The lyrics are cool as heck too. I've been up front about my bias but maybe it's good anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnf_KYyrBQ
>>65263499
>It's an album
Hoo dang boy I'm sold!
I'm really not big on early punk, so that doesn't do much to persuade me. People just keep getting better and better at portraying a "punk" attitude and furthering the speed and aggression (which are things about punk and punk-derived music I'm big on), but they also seldom try very hard with the writing of the music itself it seems. I'm really not very deep into punk.
What was so innovative about it that it became influential? I've never really heard anyone cite it as an influence (you don't need to give me a list though, I believe you)
>>
Jesus some of you havent listened to stuff from the top 50? Do any of you know anything about music? You never got past the most entry level music imaginable?
>>
>>65263673
How about you listen to it, nimrod? You'd be 4 tracks in by now

If you're expecting angry hc punk you're gonna be let down
>>
Paranoid
Highway 61 Revisited
Doolittle
Pink Moon
The Queen Is Dead
The Beatles [White Album]
Remain In Light
Marquee Moon
London Calling
Funeral
Blonde On Blonde
Are You Experienced
Closer
Low
Blood on the Tracks
Bringing It All Back Home
Disintegration
Rain Dogs
Master of Reality
Black Sabbath
F#A#
Ride the Lightning
Bitches Brew
Tago Mago
Forever Changes
Fun House
Odessey and Oracle
The Velvet Underground
White Light/White Light
Magical Mystery Tour
Five Leaves Left
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
At the Beach
Spirit of Eden
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
What's Going On
Exile on Main St.
Harvest
The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society
Reign In Blood
The Low End Theory
Astral Weeks
Future Days
Souvlaki
In Utero
Hatful of Hollow
Led Zeppelin III
Station toStation

haven't heard any of these albums

somebody tell me which one I should listen to right now

>inb4 pleb
>>
>>65263673
the velvet underground isn't punk rock in the style of the stooges or patti smith or the ramones or anything, it's essentially art rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLQzaLr1enE

if you don't like this i don't really know what to say
>>
>>65263789
I'm not expecting that. From what I gather it seems like some bland proto-punk classic rock stuff and it doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy.
I guess I could listen to it, but I don't feel that "it's a classic" is enough of a reason to listen to it before hundreds of albums I'm actually interested in for how I've inferred they might sound that aren't as renowned. I'm not listening to anything right now, and am just sitting around, so you may have a point. What song would you say is the best, that you think would hook me? I'll listen to that.
>>
>>65263826
Highway 61 Revisited
>>
>>65262950
Same
>>
>>65263894
ok i'll do it anon, thanks!
>>
>>65263889
Heroin, I'm Waiting For The Man, or Femme Fatale
>>
>>65263854
I'll listen to that one. I didn't see that rec before I submitted my last comment.
>>65263826
Reign in Bloody, doubly so if you have any interest in extreme metal, since it's fun to think about their influence.
>>
>>65263826
paranoid is very very good
>>
>>65263826
>>
King crimson
I've been here for 3 years
>>
>>65263938
i'll give that one a listen then after the bob dylan record

currently listening to megadeth right now, I dig thrash and my interest in metal is steadily growing so Slayer should go down well.
>>
dark side of the moon (in full)
haven't listened to itcotck in full either, even though i think i might like that band
>>
>>65263981
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUaWhZXN08g
>>
>>65264010
first track is better
>>
>>65263961
Slayer is the heaviest of the Big 4 thrash. Super fast with most of the vocals being yelled with the occasional piercing falsetto scream. The chaotic guitar soloing style is hugely imitated.
>>65263854
This is pretty cool. The repetitive sliding guitar is cool and there's a nice texture going on with the reverb and the tambourine and stuff. This reminds me more of MBV than any kind of punk. It got boring, but that effected guitar in the outro was cool.
>>
>>65262972
same
>>
>>65263826
blood on the tracks is clearly the best choice
>>
>>65263826
If you haven't heard this many classic albums than don't post on this board anymore
>>
Elliot Smiths' Either/or
>>
>>65264277
Hey be nice
Being on this board will help his music taste
He'll eventually get there
>>
>>65262958
same
>>
>>65262954
>>65263042
>>65263477
#14 Paranoid for me as well. I have Master of Reality, but...

After that it's #34 Nevermind. I was around in the 90s to hear Nirvana on every fucking radio and TV all day for years, so I feel like I've listened to enough Nirvana for a lifetime. I've even worked with the guy who directed the Teen Spirit video.

After that it's #45 Master of Puppets. Again, I had enough metalhead friends who played Metalica nonstop, so I think I've heard enough.

Then #56 BS s/t...

>>65263957
It's a desert island album for me. Took a couple listens to get it, but it's amazing.
>>
mfw I still haven't gotten around to listening to Revolver
>>
>>65264224
seconded
>>
Highway 61 Revisited
Unknown Pleasures
London Calling
Blonde On Blonde
Nevermind
Blood On The Tracks
Master of Puppets
After The Gold Rush
Bring It All Back Home
Disintegration
Songs of Leonard Cohen
Ride The Lightning
Sticky Fingers
Odyssey And Oracle
The Velvet Underground
Let It Bleed
Five Leaves Left
On The Beach
What's Going On
Exile On Main Street
Harvest
Reign in Blood
Hatful of Hollow
Rust In Peace

Am I missing out?
None of them have been avoided, just haven't gotten around to it
>>
>>65264538
You're missing out, those first 4 are masterpieces, most of the others are great.
>>
>>65264277
>>65264306
I have a weird aversion to listening to shit I know I'll probably like, whatever, this thread has changed my view, i'm gonna listen to more of the classics

it's pretty dumb that I haven't listened to all that, I should turn my music nerd card in
>>
Wish You Were Here. There was a time in high school where I probably would have jizzed my pants over most Floyd stuff but I'm so over that now. The majority of their songs just seem like musical masturbation to me. It's the kind of music that'd be fun to play and jam out to while doing drugs but to be an outsider listening to it isn't that fulfilling.
>>
>>65264538
What's Going On is the greatest album of all-time.
>>
>>65263127

Great album, saw them live. It's the only thing you need to form an opinion on them.
>>
>>65264887
Best soul album.
For me it's hard to have one definite favorite album, there are just so many different genres and musical styles.
>>
powerslave
>>
>>65264887
meh, marvin kind of bores me. I prefer curtis mayfield's brand of soul to marvin gaye's, personally.

i'm a white boy though.
>>
OK Computer. I've tried listening to Radio Head so many times but just do not fucking care.
>>
>>65265525
try Kid A instead
if you don't like that either, they aren't for you
>>
>>65262917
Abbey Road
What am I missing?
>>
>>65264358
Hey, me neither, high five
>>
>>65262917
Radiohead and Pink Floyd are 4 of the top 5, damn
>>
>>65265759
I think it's my favorite Beatles album
Give it a listen
>>
Had to scroll down a while.

The Zombies - Odessey and Oracle
>>
>>65265818
RedditYourMusic
>>
>>65264010
this is nice
i guess i'll go listen to the full album
>>
>>65265830
When I didn't care about music I used to listen to Beatles. Never got to listen a full album of them.
>>
>>65263270
loveless is pretty unique compared to most shoegaze tbdesu. been imitated many times but never near replicated. give it a shot
>>
>>65263826
Jesus christ that's a big list. Listen to them all desu, you need to expand ur taste
>>
>>65265836
one of my favorite albums ever, but I can definitely see why some wouldn't like it
it sounds somewhat dated and at times rather precious
this is gonna sound strange but I think it sounds best in autumn

>>65265860
I was largely the same way
my parents bought me A Hard Days Night (my first album), which I loved, but my subsequent Beatles exposure was through my brother's compilation albums
I only really started exploring their LPs in high school and again when the remasters were released in 2009
I highly recommend giving their albums a chance, particularly Abbey Road, Revolver, and Rubber Soul to start
>>
>>65263927
Report back
>>
>>65266002
literally just finished it a few minutes ago

it blew my mind completely, fucking amazing. of course I've always been familiar with Like a Rolling Stone (love it, one of the greatest songs I've ever heard) but completely new to the rest. the songwriting was incredible, lyrics were touching and moving, the music was groovy, etc. just a great album, thank you for telling me to check it out!
>>
>>65265966
>autumn
yeah that is strange. it's up there with Pet Sounds and SILY on my list of favorite summer albums
>>
>>65262917
In the court of the crimson cuck
>>
>>65263673
do you have autism? honest question
>>
>>65266055
want another recommendation?
same feel or different?

>>65266086
It feels kind of somber to me what with beechwood park, a rose for emily, butcher's tale, etc
dying of the summer vibes
>>
35. Joy Division - Closer
better than expected
>>
>>65266162
what's even more sad is that you probably haven't even listened to Substance you turbo fucking pleb
>>
>>65263003
same
>>
I have never listened to Bob Dylan or Joy Division
>>
>>65265966
>sounds best in autumn
Yeah, it has as kind of wistful quality to it that I always associated with that season, too. Their live recordings are surprisingly good. Been meaning to catch a show when they play, but it never seems to happen.
>>
>>65262917
The King kong thing
Pink flood, wyvvh
>>
>>65266130
I'm INTP, and that's almost the same thing I guess, I don't have actual autism or aspergers though. What made you think I did?
>>
hmmm many of them i think.
>>
>>65266150
nah i've got several recommendations in this thread that I need to listen to, but thank you regardless.

I feel it will take a while to digest this record also.
>>
Can't believe so many people on /mu/ haven't listened to Dylan
>>
>>65262950
same
>>
>>65263826
Listen to:
Pink Moon
Remain In Light
Marquee Moon
Tago Mago
Odessey and Oracle
VU&N
Spirit of Eden
Exile on Main St.
Astral Weeks
Future Days
Those are pretty acclaimed
>>
>>65266371
>dum dum tlink tlink tlink
>buu politics mad system yuha! >:/ xD
lmao
>>
Pink Moon
>>
>>65266330
the way you pick up on subtle accidental literal statements people make and nitpick on it, your need to know many details about an albums quality before even considering listening to it for yourself to decide, etc. youre just a weird dude my man
>>
led zepplin and i wont.

ive listened to almost all the top 100 albums expect the metal/punk ones.
>>
>>65266638
Do you mean when he said "this is an album"? That just sounded silly. There wasn't any malice behind it.
Listening to an album because it's popular is fine if you're just trying to get (deeper) into music for the first time, but it seems shallow if you already have been for a while, and I just don't have a very good track record with the music listening public's taste. If someone liked all the /mu/ meme albums, I wouldn't say it's a shallow reason, but there's an element of fashion and conformity in that being the only justification for listening to something that makes me personally uncomfortable.
Combine those reasons with the fact that I already have hundreds of GB of music I have some sort of reasonable personal interest in and the fact that I'm incredibly lazy, even when it comes to listening to music, and you may get it a little more.
>>
>>65267039
Luckily on /mu/ you'll get fucking crucified if all you like is mucore.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160530-012540.png (982 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160530-012540.png
982 KB, 1440x2560
This ranking system doesn't make any sense, how are these albums in this specific order?
>>
>>65262917
I haven't heard any of them.

AMA.
>>
>>65262917
in the court of the crimson king
>>
>>65267039
its not a /mu/ meme album you dip, its an all time great
>>
>>65262917
Abbey Road.
>>
>>65268493
It goes amount of votes to rating I believe. So something rated higher, but with less votes, would be lower on the list than something with more votes and a slightly lower rating.
>>
>>65268493
RYM calculates how much your score contributes to the overall album ranking using one method based on how you distribute your album rankings and if you have been active or not plus a bonus for reviews. To get an albums position on the charts it uses a different weighing system to determine your scores weight plus something about the number of ratings.

Yes it doesn't make sense and is dumb.
>>
mfw listened to all of them
>>
>>65262917
I have never listened to the banana album.

Since I have nothing but contempt for Lou Reed, I don't intend on it, either.
>>
mobb deep - the infamous (#221)
>>
I have never listened to OK Computer.After that I have heard 75% of the albums.
>>
Does seeing The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly count? If not then #170.
>>
Probably some neil young bullshit
>>
>>65263130
Listen to it now
>>
>>65262972
ye
>>
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
don't listen to jazz like, at all
>>
I've listened to every album in the top 100 and probably the next 100 also but I can't check right now because the site is down. I was going to go see exactly the first album there I haven't listened to.
>>
>>65263127
listen asap
>>
Had a good streak going down that page, but #66: The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers broke it.

Strangely, I've heard Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, and Exile, but not that album.
>>
Blonde on Blonde
Are You Experienced
Blood On The Tracks
After The Gold Rush
Bringing It All Back Home
Electric Ladyland
In A Silent Way
Songs of Leonard Cohen
Sticky Fingers
Fun House
Hot Rats
Surfer Rosa
Five Leaves Left
Spirit of Eden
Harvest
The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society
Reign In Blood
The Low End Theory
Astral Weeks
Harful of Hallow

Which should I check out?
>>
>>65271185
Ok It's up so I checked. The first album on the top 1000 I haven't listened to is Kanye West's College Dropout at #342, which I've been meaning to listen to but I never was the biggest fan of Kanye.
>>
>>65262917
i havent listened to none of those 6 albums
>>
>>65262917
I've only listened to King Crimson out of all of those. No joke
>>
>>65271359
Blonde on Blonde, In A Silent Way, Hot Rats, Five Leaves Left, Spirit of Eden, The Low End theory, Astral Weeks
but this is a /mu/core selection though
>>
File: image.png (353 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.png
353 KB, 1920x1080
>>
Lel Zellepin IV
>>
>>65263826
All Dylan and Piper at The Gates of Dawn
>>
33. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
>>
>>65262988
You should kill yourself tbqh senpai
>>
>>65262917
I have over 1000 ratings, and have only listened to one of those albums.
>>
>>65272640
link your account
>>
File: Facepalm.jpg (108 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Facepalm.jpg
108 KB, 800x800
>people in this thread

>>65263758
True, it's unbelievable.
>>
>>65272918
I am literally none of those people
>>
>>65263477
>black sabbath blows
Found the hack.
>>
>>65262917
itcotck, i've tried but didn't like it so i've never finished it. i like islands by king crimson though.
>>
>>65262917
link to the actual list pls
>>
>>65268586
why
>>
>>65263239
your own interests a shit. those albums are mostly acclaimed for a reason
>>
>>65262917
>hat's the highest album on RYM's top charts you haven't listened to?

Bob Dylan - The Bootleg Series Vol. 4
>>
>>65263251
same
>>
>>65263758

I've been glancing through RYM's top 500/600 albums and I've listened pretty much all of them, apart form a few live recordings.
Then again I'm in my 30s.
>>
>>65262917
I've listened to every single one in the top 100, working on 200 now
>>
File: BLOW.png (123 KB, 335x300) Image search: [Google]
BLOW.png
123 KB, 335x300
>>65263826
FUCKING FUNHOUSE
>>
>>65271371
how old are you, just curious?
Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.