[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/where are today's bootlegs?/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1446272818466.jpg (662 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1446272818466.jpg
662 KB, 1920x1200
Has anyone noticed the complete lack of live show bootleg culture today? If you look up old bands like Led Zeppelin, you find dozens of their shows that people taped for bootlegs, and they exist as historical documents of the music and time, yet today when taping and distributing tapes of shows is easier than ever, almost no one even thinks to do it. Look at Death Grips, a massively important band that played comparatively few shows at all, and there's basically only one live bootleg of them. You would think at least someone seeing what was gonna be their final tour would have cared enough about music history to record the experience.

It's the same way with almost every band save for a few jam bands. You guys have no idea what you are missing out on honestly. Taper culture gave me hours of fun growing up as a fan of The Mars Volta.
>>
>>65258468
Is this a new copypasta, or is this the same guy from the sharethread?
>>
>>65258468
No one does it because it's not worth doing for most bands. Most bands play their songs regularly with little variation.
>>
there's plenty of anco boots
>>
>>65258468
on youtube
>>
Radiohead definitely still has a huge taping scene. And idk what you're talking about with death grips, if you were following /r/deathgrips, there was tons of recordings.
>>
>>65258722
i don't follow that but ive searched online before and there's really only that one show with the drums on skype and one show in Denver and that's it. the rest is just shit youtube videos with phone audio
>>
I can tell you as a taper of jam band shows, there are a lot reasons why. The big one has to do with the cost of travel and tickets. The old heads who started it either had a solid network of tapers in other cities who could fill in gaps on a tour, or it was inexpensive enough to follow the band around the country.

The only reason why jam bands seem to still embrace it is because the scene is small and dedicated enough that the network is already there, and it also helps that all of the bands are a-ok with taping and even having specific tickets for a taping section. Most other bands don't encourage the practice.

Another big reason is because younger people don't seem to care about taking up the practice. I've had lots of people come up to me at shows and thank me for recording them only to have them lament that it's getting harder to find audience recordings. To all of them I say that it's not hard to get into it and many of us will sell old equipment to get them started, but I almost always get a "nah, too much effort, I just want to see the band/party". I guess I shouldn't blame people under 25 because I've had plenty of people my age do the same thing, but us tapers aren't getting any older.

Another thing I've seen is that a lot of fans would rather have a crisp soundboard copy of a show and don't like the sometimes lo-fi nature of an AUD. Unless you're running the board yourself or know someone who can get you a copy, most fans would rather buy official live releases.
>>
blogs+youtube ya dingus
>>
>>65258844
Aren't getting any younger, I meant to say.
>>
>>65258844
>us tapers aren't getting any older.
you definitly are though you are so fucking full of shit. you are getting old and decaying and dying like everyone else. your libido is shrinking and your heart is slowing down fucking dumbass
>>
it's literally just moved to youtube, wtf is this thread
>>
>>65258468
There's like a trillion bootlegs on youtube
>>
>>65258468
http://www.youtube.com
>>
>>65258626
as if anyone would want that shit lol
>>
>>65259300
>>65259341
>>65259367
>>65258886
it's not the same. clips on youtube all have bad sound cause they are filmed on phones. It's basically unlistenable always. TMV existed long into the internet era and people still taped their shows on higher quality handheld devices. there wasn't physical media but people cared about the sound and uploaded flac of shows. Sometimes people would put the higher quality sound and sync it with phone videos even to make video bootlegs.

It's just surprising to me that people aren't coordinating this shit for any other artists, especially these electronic ones cause their music is so compressed it's easy to get decent live recordings. taped an autechre show last year and it sounded really good outside the crowd talking

you all must be so inexperienced to not know the difference
>>
>>65258722
This. Pretty much every Radiohead show is taped. Same goes for many other 'big alt' bands like GY!BE, Sigur Ros, Massive Attack and AnCo.

In general, bands that started before the mid 00s and developed a large cult following that is NOT based on image tend to have lively taping scenes. It might have something to do with the fact that YouTube recordings are easier to share on social media, which are more popular among millennials and image-focused subcultures.
>>
I have a few St. Vincent bootlegs I've downloaded and I'm sure there are at least a dozen floating around.

You say some jam bands but I think the vast majority of them have tons of bootlegs and most bands in the scene encourage it. I think some other anon in here is right though that there's generally not enough difference from the studio recording and also between shows to make a lot of them for most bands.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.