[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eminem and popularity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: eminem.jpg (49 KB, 616x372) Image search: [Google]
eminem.jpg
49 KB, 616x372
Why did this guy outsell literally every other group of great rappers that came before him? Is he actually better than the early West Coast Rappers, or is there other things at work here? Also, why is Dre so good at picking up talent.
>>
>Let's do the math: if I was black, I would've sold half
>>
>>65258069
I doubt that's the full explanation however. Surely the color of his skin on the album covers didn't really affect it that much?
>>
>>65258040

white people couldnt buy an album with a bunch of black gangster looking guys on it and openly talk about it or enjoy it. not socially acceptable

white people could buy his album and enjoy it openly. totally socially acceptable hes jsut some white dude, obviously not gonna be in a gang.

funny raps, and emotional raps = white people love this shit, buy this shit, and he breaks records
>>
>>65258691
So you're saying his success is tied to his appearance, specifically as a white person?
>>
>>65258040
i dont think it has much to do with his skin colour. sure, its a gimmick he uses but his early album were very original and groundbreaking
>>
>>65258950
He was a good technical rapper but even he has never in his career denied that his appearance had an effect on his sales.
>>
People innately weren't interested in rap because it was looked at as gangster, low ball culture only celebrated by blacks and drug users, but having an apologetically white person with an image consumed in gangster rap culture opened the gateway for the bigger non-black audience to take an interest in rap related media and expand the industry bigger than it every has been before.
>>
File: 1455424936454.jpg (72 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1455424936454.jpg
72 KB, 800x600
>>65259933
meant to say "unapologetically"
>>
>>65258950
I would say it's a mix of talent, whiteness, and "deep" and "funny" lyrics that white people flock to
he reached out to white people more than anybody else
>>
>>65260069
i don't get that image. the only correct one is the one on the right. does the teacher not know fuckin PEMDAS?
>>
>>65260069
the answer on the right is clearly more correct than the wrong answer on the left
>>
>>65261656
>does the teacher not know fuckin PEMDAS
pemdas is the good common core method

the teacher was probably required to say the wrong answer is just as good as the right answer because a group of parents don't like feeling like retards
>>
>>65261673
But the 4 is in the parenthesis, so it needs to be addressed first.
>>
>>65261853
no. once you do 2x2 the parenthesis act as just a normal multiplication sign
>>
>>65261853
2*2 is in parenthesis
4 is not

but this whole thing could just be solved by adding more fucking parenthesis

(20/5) (2*2) = 16

20 / (5 (2*2)) = 1
>>
>>65260069
>>65261656
>>65261731
>>65261853
>>65261997
>>65262004
The image is a Photoshop used for anti-common-core propaganda
>>
>>65258040
it really is just because he is white. all of his albums are sooo average and mediocre.
>>
>>65262276
you're lying, but if you aren't then thats one hell of a shop
>>
>>65258040
Because white people could actually afford to buy his music.
>>
>>65258040
him being white definitely played a part in his success, although i feel like a lot of it had to do with his "edgy" image and his controversial lyrics
>>
>>65262510
>>65262337
>>65258691
WHITE AMERICAAAA
>>
The dude was a production genius and stuff like The Real Slim Shady was saying what every suburbanite white 12 year old in America was thinking back then. It really spoke to you.
>>
>>65262610
>production genius
>really spoke to you

these aren't related in any way
>>
Better than vanilla ice, kinda pop-ish structures, explicit but not 'gangsta' explicit.

So his albums were acceptable to the white people I guess.

Who cares. Im asian.
>>
>>65258040
Eminem's "Aryan" music removed any trace of black music from hip hop. It replaced syncopated African rhythm with linear Western melody, and lusty negro attitudes with cute white-kid hatred of moms.
>>
>>65258095
Maybe not, but he did have some of the best music videos ever at a time when that actually mattered.
>>
>>65262708
lusty negro attitudes
>>
>>65258691

Shut the fuck up you dumb nigger you weren't even old enough to know what the times were like at the time. It was fine buying nigger albums and talking about them with people.
>>
>>65258095
Would hip-hop have gained any traction at all outside afro communities if not for liberal white guilt?
>>
>>65263145
its not white guilt, its just that black people are cool and seem dangerous
>>
His music videos are great and I like the irony he laces in his songs.
>>
Eminem used to be legitimately funny back in the day, gave me my taste for dark comedy as a 9 year old
>>
>>65263145
probably, if youve ever been in the real world you'd understand that not everything is some liberal conspiracy
>>
His lyrics were well-written and relatable for a lot of young people and he had Dre
>>
>>65263362
>black people are cool

No they're not

LMFAO Bro
>>
>>65263752
>implying your girl doesn't fantasize about Nubian penis
>>
he was a bad influence on me as a kid
>>
File: 1439249663241.png (367 KB, 713x736) Image search: [Google]
1439249663241.png
367 KB, 713x736
>>65258040
I don't like him but he's really accessible to people who don't know much about rap.

Another important thing about him is his voice sounds akin to what most white people are used to listening to in other genres. Black voices rapping are more, low, loud, angry, have a "thug" and "criminal" vibe to them that a white mom just can't love.
>>
I guess you had to be there but as a 14yo when mm lp dropped Eminem was THE dopest
>>
Because he was actually good.
>>
>>65264190
>actually good
>implying good music sells

when will the top 40 meme be over?
>>
>>65264220
100 million+ people think you're wrong.
>>
>>65264220
He was more interesting, funny, intense and expressive than anyone else in mainstream rap music from 2001-2003, and by a fucking long shot too
>>
>>65261731
>common core
Boi.
PEMDAS has been around since before common core was a thing. This picture is either entirely facetious or photoshopped so people can find an easy way to complain about the educational system without really blaming anything or anyone or grossly oversimplify what they do not like about it.
>>
It had nothing to do with race you morons, he made relatively accessible music and his lyrical style was new and interesting.
>>
>>65264264
i bet the other 99.99% of people would agree with me
>>
>>65262645
>...production genius and...
>really spoke to you
>AND
Not that Anon. The points are separated, they aren't meant to be related, that was a list.
>>
Bcuz whitey be reppin. White boys had to show their hard to totally pointless
>>
>>65264493
it's not my fault /mu/ can't grammar
>>
>>65263962
See but Eminem did not appeal to the parents at all. He was the rap Marilyn Manson. Parents had distaste for him but he was easier for white kids to relate to.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.