[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw your favorite album of all time is objectively the best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Velvet_Underground_and_Nico.jpg (9 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Velvet_Underground_and_Nico.jpg
9 KB, 350x350
>tfw your favorite album of all time is objectively the best album ever made
Feels good man.
>>
I totally agree with the massive consensus that this is a pinnacle of music history. This album had an immediate and profound impact on me, which I didn't expect after so many years of hearing about its mythical status and not being especially into the general circles of music it relates to. Finally I heard it and I think this or the USA album is the greatest 60s rock album. I'm totally killed by Nico's vocals. Destroyed. Helplessly in love. I mean, is there a better song in the history of the world than "All Tomorrow's Parties"? Magic.

The first VU I heard was Loaded, which didn't do much of anything for me and gave me a low opinion of Lou Reed to match the low opinions I'd heard expressed by many people. I wrote off VU as yet another overrated fashionable pop group for the idle pointless hipster crowd. But then I heard this album and the other early stuff and now I think he is a genius and I totally get into his singing and songwriting on the VU stuff. It was like "Now I get it. Now I understand what all these people are talking about. Now I'm one of them." Yes, that's an unsettling and profound experience to have. The whole history of rock music flashed before my mind's eye. Now I'm one of "them".

Hearing the acoustic versions of some of this stuff on the VU box set makes me even more convinced that Reed was the real deal, an authentic vessel of musical truth that rarely surfaces in the world. Have never heard any non-VU Lou Reed so far. I hear it sucks.

To me, "Sunday Morning" is the weakest track, but still an excellent song, and all the others are either great or in a category far beyond "great", a category of transcendental, ineffable perfection of unrepeatable convergences between sound and emotion.

I really like the scrapey, droney viola element. That's a kind of sound closer to the avant-garde music that's more comfortable and familiar for me.
>>
>>65230509
I'm so fucking mad you called sunday morning the weakest track
>>
>>65230774
Femme Fatale and sunday morning > errything
>>
>>65230785
>not heroin
cmon
>>
>>65230801
Not venus in furs. Cmon
>>
>>65230509
theres no way the worst track is anything besides Run Run Run
>>
>>65230785
I like this cover of femme fatale, makes it sound more like sunday morning.

I think sunday morning is the best track, it's just something about the "atmosphere" (if that's the right word), I have to say the worst track is the black angels death song, I just can't get in to it
>>
>>65230493
The fact that so many books still name the Velvet Underground as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Velvet Underground sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Velvet Underground did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
>>65230785
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao3MEwjywd4

Big Star did it better desu
>>
>>65230937
forgot to post this, how embarrassing for me
>>65231039
>>
>>65230785
>>65230801
>>65230831
>not European Son

Retards.
>>
>>65230493
overrated album
>>
>>65230957
This is pasta right?
>>
File: 200x200-000000-80-0-0.jpg (14 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
200x200-000000-80-0-0.jpg
14 KB, 200x200
>implying
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.